Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-12-2023, 14:27   #1

Yanmar 4JH2 engine mounts

I need a marine tech professional opinion.....

I wish to have a marine yard replace my two Morse cutless bearings and the four engine mounts on a Yanmar 4JH2 engine

Received a quoted estimate for the labor hours as follows:

Replace two Morse cutless bearings: Labor 12 hours estimated
Replace existing engine mounts: Labor 16 hours estimated

What would be the range (low hours, typical and high hours) expected for the work?

Thank you in advance
rhirwin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 17:20   #2

Boat: Gulfstar 50 ketch
Re: Yanmar 4JH2 engine mounts

Where's the second cutlass bearing? For a typical one on a p-bracket type external strut with good access, should take about 3 hours to pull the prop shaft, pull or cut-and-pull the old bearing out, press in a new one and reinstall the prop shaft. Quite a lot more if the rudder has to be dropped to get the prop shaft out. Add another hour if the coupling is difficult to get off the shaft. (Time to prep for haulout, haul/block and re-launch not included)

Engine mounts - Assuming replacing with the same type of mounts, that access is reasonable and fastener heads aren't rusted away, I can't imagine it taking more than 3-4 hours to replace 4 mounts and re-align the engine. I bet I could do all 4 of mine in under 2 hrs: Uncouple shaft, block up rear of engine, unbolt mounts from stringers, unbolt mounts from transmission, bolt up new mounts, drop engine back down. Repeat for front of engine. Piddle with fine-adjustments for proper alignment, re-fasten coupling.
Bellinghamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 18:09   #3

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27

The new mounts should not be aligned in the boatyard. That should take place when the boat has been back in the water for a day.

Access is important in estimating the time it will take.
Time is proportional to the age and weight of the estimator
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-12-2023, 21:21   #4

For clarity, the Mason sailboat is already on the hard and the rudder does not need to be dropped as the propeller / prop shaft can be pulled through the propeller aperture. There are two set screws for the rear Morse bearing and the forward Morse bearing is just aft of the Buck Algonquin stuffing box. Thanks again for any insight into the time it should take for a professional marine service yard.
rhirwin is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, yanmar