Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2016, 18:26   #1

Boat: Jonmeri 40
Yanmar 4JH2 wiring harness

My 1997 4JH2E with 9500 hours has the C engine panel. On the engine end of the wiring harness running from the panel (part # 129573-77930) there are 3 plastic clip connectors that reside right under the hot exhaust elbow. About one out of 10 tries the starter will not engage unless I pull these connectors apart and spray them with CRC. Is there anything special inside these plastic connectors (1997-ish nano-technology?) or are they simple, mechanical connections? Is it safe to cut out these old plastic pieces and join the wires together directly with butt connectors? I would think so, but thought I should ask before I cut and crimp.
Alii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 05:40   #2

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 37' Catamaran
Re: Yanmar 4JH2 wiring harness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alii View Post
My 1997 4JH2E with 9500 hours has the C engine panel. On the engine end of the wiring harness running from the panel (part # 129573-77930) there are 3 plastic clip connectors that reside right under the hot exhaust elbow. About one out of 10 tries the starter will not engage unless I pull these connectors apart and spray them with CRC. Is there anything special inside these plastic connectors (1997-ish nano-technology?) or are they simple, mechanical connections? Is it safe to cut out these old plastic pieces and join the wires together directly with butt connectors? I would think so, but thought I should ask before I cut and crimp.
Nothing special in them. I'm just installing a YM30 and I have wondered about the poor quality of the wiring loom... be sure to seal up the crimps after so you don't need to fix again later.
I'll be keeping my connectors but will wrap in rescue tape.
geoffr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2016, 15:04   #3

Thank you, geoffr. My two main parts guys in Singapore and Cal also confirmed there is nothing special about these plastic bits. Will use Ancor heat-shrink connectors and extra wraps of Rescue Tape.
Old 01-12-2016, 17:52   #4

They are "waterproof" Deutch connectors in a really awful location. Common problem unfortunately, but the fix is easy. Just cut them out and splice the wires with waterproof butt connectors.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 12:44   #5
cruiser

Boat: Whiting 29' extended "Nightcap"

If my memory serves me correctly, as well as the 3 multi plugs there is also a single wire bullet connection. This bullet connection is not as moisture proof as the multi plugs and is the signal wire for the start solenoid relay.
NoTies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2016, 18:47   #6

Boat: Morgan Out Island 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoTies View Post
If my memory serves me correctly, as well as the 3 multi plugs there is also a single wire bullet connection. This bullet connection is not as moisture proof as the multi plugs and is the signal wire for the start solenoid relay.
Close, the single wire is for the STOP solenoid relay. I just replaced my dead perkins 4-154 with a rebuilt 4JH2E this summer and the stop soleniod was there, but the wiring for it on the engine was missing. the single wire connection was wired to the stop button on the engine panel (factory new engine panel)

the connectors, if point down towards the engine mounts should be far enough away from the exhaust to not get more than mildly warm. the problem as I see it is in most installs, the engine wiring harness probably goes up, keeping the connectors closer to the heat of the exhaust. the connectors really would have been better placed closer to the center of the engine above the starter solenoid.
pcmm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2016, 16:11   #7

It's not so much a heat problem as water leaks from the exhaust elbow.
boatbod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2016, 18:19   #8

My connectors are immediately under the exhaust elbow and the problem is heat -- I don't have any leaks, never any water in the engine pan. Having removed the old plastic bits with fresh butt connectors and heat shrink, the starter now pipes right up. It must have always been starved for current before. Sounds much healthier now.

Tags
wiring, yanmar