Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-04-2014, 14:02   #1

YANMAR 4JH3 -TE Hard shifting

I have a Brewer 12.8sloop with a Yanmar 4JH3 -TE with 1500 hours on it. Just replaced the control shifter with new. It shifts hard in and out of neutral. Takes significant force. However when cable is disconnected from engine it shifts easily. .. and when its 'shifted by hand at the transmission lever it moves easily. This hard neutral shifting occurs engine running or not. next Im going to change the transmission oil. any suggestions?? Help.
geoleo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2015, 20:58   #2

Boat: Farr, PH, 50
Re: YANMAR 4JH3 -TE Hard shifting

I have similar issue on my Farr 50PH. The installation has a "combiner" mounted on the engine room wall that provides for an internal pilot house mounted throttle. To use one OR the other requires the unused throttle to be exactly in the neutral position. The mechanical design is complicated and likely produces unnecessary drag forces apparent at the cockpit helm. I have tried lubricating the teleflex cables and have replaced the cockpit throttle mechanism twice now as the pot metal eventually fails due the excessive drag forces. May try removing the dual throttle mechanism (rendering the internal throttle inop) to see if that relieves some of the drag.
Hope this helps...
Farr50PH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 04:09   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Endeavour E 43
Send a message via Skype™ to WolfgangSeaLife
Re: YANMAR 4JH3 -TE Hard shifting

My shifting cable had touched the exhaust pipe which melted the casing.
I had the cable replaced and now it shifts easily.

Note: When shifting just before a bridge the cable slipped out at the bottom! I had to quickly re-attach it.
Wolfgang
WolfgangSeaLife is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar