Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2024, 12:49   #1

Yanmar 4jh80 oil pressure sensor

Hello I知 look for help in identifying the oil pressure sender (sensor) on my 4jh80s I知 not getting any readings for pressure at the helm. (No alarms either) the engine diagrams I have found are no help. There is one wire that has a connector labeled oil pressure so I am assuming it was never connected or the sensor was never installed. Any help would be great.
Brick1776 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 14:16   #2

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44
Re: Yanmar 4jh80 oil pressure sensor

Typically the JH series is shipped without a pressure sensor, but only a pressure switch for the idiot light. That said there is a wire for it in the wiring harness. This makes it pretty easy to add a pressure sensor. I added one to the 3JH3Es in my cat. On mine the fitting that the pressure switch was inserted into had a plugged fitting for a pressure sensor. Adding the sensor was a matter of removing the plug, screwing in the sensor, and attaching the engine side of the wire to the sensor. Of course you will need to add a compatible gauge to the instrument panel end. The oil fitting on my engines were located on the left side of the engines near the flywheel end when viewed from the front. My maintenance manual is a bit old but also covers the 4jh series and indicates the oil pressure fitting is located in the same position. I just don't know if newer 4JH engines have it in the same position.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2024, 14:45   #3

Re: Yanmar 4jh80 oil pressure sensor

Thank you. That explains a lot. After spending some time tinkering I believe you are right. Just a pressure switch with no sensor. I see the small screw you池e talking about to mount the sensor. Much appreciated.
Brick1776 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil, sensor, yanmar