Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 16-10-2017, 13:26   #1

Yanmar 4jht3 raw water pump leaks?

I suspect it's time to rebuild my water pump">raw water pump. I found signs of rust around the pump when changing the impeller. I can't see any drops or leakage but as you can see on the pictures the rust is likely to come from saltwater. Does anyone have experience of this operation and can give me some guidance on how to proceed? Thanks
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1330.JPG
Views:	128
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	157813
Flod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-10-2017, 14:10   #2

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG
Re: Yanmar 4jht3 raw water pump leaks?

I don't know you pump, but if the leak is from the back you need a new - whatever seals the cover. Sometimes the cover becomes worn or distorted. All impeller pumps I know of have replacement covers, new gaskets or orings available.
If the leak is from the front, then it's the shaft seal. Once you learn how to replace it, it's easy. I change mine almost as often as the impeller, but don't change impellers as often as the rest of you. About every 5 years. I have 4 salt water pumps to maintain and don't find it a problem. I source my seals from bearing companies and pay about a tenth of the marine price. Good time to change the bearings, too.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leaks, raw water, raw water pump, water, yanmar