Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-07-2007, 21:02   #1

Thumbs down Yanmar after sales service

I am currently experiencing appalling after sales service from Yanmar here in NZ (Asia, Middle East and Oceania) and cannot believe I’m the only one. My particular problem involves an assembly fault from manufacture, but only recently discovered, which has resulted in corrosion of the heat exchanger. The JH series motor is now out of warranty but Yanmar have proved to be exceedingly poor in meeting their mission statement……"Your satisfaction and goodwill are important to us and to your dealer."
Apart from the assembly fault, I have always been worried that no sacrificial anode is fitted to these engines but the manufacturers said it’s because “the material is aluminium alloy therefore no zinc required” . Can this be true? Could the lack of a zinc be a contributory factor to the corrosion?
I would be interested to hear from anyone else who has had similar problems dealing with Yanmar - and I have some advice for anyone contemplating purchasing a Yanmar engine – be certain you want to!
kiwikol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2007, 22:32   #2

Location: Winter land based UK New Forest. Summer months away. Making the transition from sail to power this year - scary stuff.
Boat: Super Van Craft 1320 Power Yacht
Send a message via Skype™ to swagman
Sad to say have to agree with lack of after sales service - especially from dealers who did not provide the orginal engine. We had an issue in Spain two years back and you'd think we bought a Volvo from the lack of input Yanmar Spain were prepared to give.
Fortunately the UK boat dealer agreed to cover cover all costs so we had the needed parts flown out by hand and fitted them ourselves.
They say Yanmar are the best small marine engine but I'd I'd say from experience they have the worst after sales service.
Sad eh?
JOHN
Old 17-07-2007, 22:43   #3

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Phew, glad I got those Cummins's now.

Yanmar were pushing hard for my buck's when I was buying.

Dave
Old 17-07-2007, 23:47   #4
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Unless something has dramaticly changed, Yanmar in NZ were very very good at Service and warranty.
So please give more details.
How old is the motor in question?
What exactly is the fault???
What corrosion are you talking about??
Answers to these questions would be very helpful.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 03:29   #5

Hi Wheels – 3JH3 is some 7 yrs old but only done 730 hrs. I originally questioned the lack of anodes but was informed that the heat exchanger was aluminium alloy and didn’t need them! (Really?- I wonder what Nigel Calder would say??). I recently noticed some salt encrustration around the end cap of the exchanger and on removing it discovered that the ‘O’ ring had been assembled out of position, resulting in corrosion of the casting where the ‘O’ ring should have been, and also that the end cap had cracked. Despite the warranty having expired (obviously), the problem was an assembly fault from manufacture – no question! The agent was contacted over two months ago yet despite my numerous follow-ups to the agent, I had heard nothing from Yanmar. By chance (!), I met recently with a divisional manager who informed me that Yanmar “does not deal directly with customers”, and also that the user manual requires specific periodic inspection of the exchanger which I hadn’t done. The manual does NOT ! Yanmar has been totally uncommunicative, and now defensive – certainly not sympathetic. I could go on at considerable length, but sufficient to say that Yanmar’s mission statement is an absolute farce, and with the benefit of hindsight I would never choose Yanmar again. My experiences with them must rate as the most frustrating I have ever endured from any major company.
Old 18-07-2007, 03:57   #6

Boat: Lotus 10.6
If you have a heat exchanger you must have a fresh water cooled motor. The motor on the fresh water cooled models is isolated electrically from the sail drive or gearbox. If it remains isolated you should not need an anode for the motor. Are you sure you have not earthed the motor to the drive somehow?

Yanmar, Volvo.......once any of them have your bucks they usually don't want to know you. Unfortunately that is business.
seafox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 04:01   #7

If you have tried to get them to sort it out and you believe it is a fault caused by them, use the consumer guarantees act. Pay $20 and take them to the disputes tribunal. You just need to apply at your local District Court.
Old 18-07-2007, 12:56   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
Problem is CGA is for 7yrs. The engine is at least 7yrs, so out of date.
Maybe the engien has only done 730hrs, but 7yrs is a long time and inspections are essential. What the manual say's and doesn't say is irrelevant. If you are not capable of mcheranical inspections, then the local mechanic should be doing regular inpsections of all area's. This is why Yanmar don't deal with the public. You should be dealing with a Yanmar service tech and issues taken up with him. The way Yanmar work is that there Service reps are an arm of Yanmar. They have to meet required standards. Yanmar NZ, is nothing more than a wharehouse and some reps. The reps are very knowledgable and some will oversee installations, but they are nothing more than that in reality. Yanmar themselves is a large overseas company.
You should have a regular service interval.
Starting with checking Oil/water before you start.
Oil changes every 100hrs or before each season which ever comes first.
Gearbox oil change before each season.
The list goes on. When I have some time (late for work right now) I will type up a list of inspections and intervals. Maybe someone will be interested.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 13:37   #9

Boat: Stevens 47
I would definitely be interested!!!...Thanks...
Old 18-07-2007, 14:52   #10

Good idea Alan. I know some people buy their boats without a service manual for the motor. Only last week one of my neighbours asked me how often he should change his oil.
If this motor had been serviced correctly, wouldn't the misaligned seal have shown up? If an Auth Yanmar man has missed it you could possibly use the CGA for the last service? Especially if he has used the same Yanmar agent for all the services.
Old 18-07-2007, 16:02   #11

The oring that is being refered to is round with a 1/3 pie shape. it fits in a groove. It can't be misassembled in my oppinion.
Pictures of the damage would be helpful.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2007, 16:50   #12

The fundamental point is that there has been an assembly fault. Yes, an earlier disassembly may have averted some of the corrosion but the fault was still there and currently not acknowledged by Yanmar, despite their mission statement (see earlier post). Neither the Users Manual nor Service Manual makes any mention of this as a specific period maintenance item although they are quite comprehensive regarding other matters, eg. injector timing and spray check, - but no exchanger inspection?? I have even been accused of using the wrong coolant when none is actually mentioned. The one I used, on recommendation by the original agent, has a string of ASTM and AS/NZS. But this is a diversion – the matter is not a coolant issue. I am amazed at Yanmar’s shortsighted lack of interest given that the ‘pontoon grapevine’ is alive and well.
The Consumer Guarantees Act actually applies to goods bought after April 1994 so that might be an option – it sure has some interesting clauses - thanks Seafox. Sale of Goods Act might also be relevant.
Old 18-07-2007, 21:01   #13

CGA is the best. You go to the Court and file your application and pay the small fee. You then get a date for a hearing in front of an adjudicator. All quite low key but the decision is legally enforceable. If you think someone has broken the act then go for it......
Old 18-07-2007, 21:02   #14

Where are you based?
Old 19-07-2007, 03:46   #15

I assume the laws are different in NZ. Good luck with you pursuit.
never monday is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
service, yanmar