Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-01-2008, 01:16   #1
Armchair Bucketeer

Yanmar - Bolted on Engine Generator?

Ok, maybe "bolted on" is not the right word..........

Although I am not in the market for a new engine (touch wood!) I saw an advert for one of these in a yacht mag, but I am not sure why I would want one? But it seems useful.......

If you are running the engine anyway can't you just run the goodies off the engine / batteries and get the same effect?? - says he without many "goodies" onboard at the moment and with a total ignorance about how electrickery related stuff works

Quote:
A compact, economical solution to the supply of onboard electricity for sailboats is being introduced by Yanmar Marine. The KMG65E generating system has been developed to work with Yanmar’s 3JH4 (39MPH) and 4JH4-AE (54MPH) diesel engines.

The generator is a mere 105mm deep and weighs just 21kg, fitting between the engine and transmission, whether standard gearbox or SD50 Saildrive. Boat owners have the choice of one or two remote power boxes, providing 3kW or 6kW at 230 volts, 50Hz.

Sufficient electricity is generated irrespective of engine speed or load: enough, for example, to run air conditioning, kitchen equipment, a computer, television and music system. The system can also be used to charge the boat’s batteries.

Yanmar states that the KMG65E is lower in price, takes up less space. is simpler to install and more straightforward to use than competitive systems, with hardly any maintenance costs. Initially, it will be available with new engines.
Yanmar Marine

http://www.yanmarmarine.com/uploads/...-System2LR.pdf
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 02:21   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Fundamentally, drawing electrical power from the engine takes hp. HelloSailor can jump in and give you the formula (hp per KWh) off the top of his head. I would have to dust off some brain cells. Suffice to say, large electrical power draws, take large hp from the engine.

Traditional belt driven alternators are limited due to the ability of the belts and pulleys to drive the alternator without slippage. Dual belts help in high draw situations but at some point a direct drive alternator, using gears, is the right answer.

This looks like a useful modification that yanmar has come up with. It looks to allow high draw and direct a/c power creation. Excellent versatilty. Of course, the high draw items like air conditinoing etc. would require a large bank of storage batteries and the associated converters or require that the engine be running.

A large stand alone genset (if boat space allows it) is the current alternative, that doesn't require any retrofit or re-engineing. Even on a current Yanmar installation either the gearbox has to move back or the engine forward to accomodate the new unit. This would require a bit of engineering work but one I would consider if I was re-engineing anyway.
Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 03:01   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
3 kW is equal to over 4 H.P. (3,000 ÷ 746), which does not include any mechanical/electrical inefficiencies.
At 85% overall efficiency (an assumption), 3kW will require about 4.75 engine H.P.

1 H.P. = 0.745699872 kilowatts, or 745.699872 watts (usually 7.46 W)
1 kW = 1.3404825737265416 H.P. (Usually 1.34 HP)

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 03:55   #4
cruiser

I think these Austrians came out with is before Yanmar, or licensed it to Yanmar:

STEYR-MOTORS.com

Go to that link and then click on the last product at the bottom of the page to open up a PDF.

The good part about the Steyr is that it can be retrofitted to even a Perkins 4-108. I found out about these from a guy who was looking at my old boat. He was going to fly a Steyr tech out to retrofit it onto the Perkins.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2008, 04:31   #5
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Of course, the high draw items like air conditinoing etc. would require a large bank of storage batteries and the associated converters or require that the engine be running..
Am being a bit thick here , but to use this Yanmar (or Steyr) "Bolt on" Generator wouldn't the engine need to be running? Or are you saying the idea would be to run the appliances on battery power, but use the Generator to top up the batteries as and when needed.

Quote:
A large stand alone genset (if boat space allows it) is the current alternative, that doesn't require any retrofit or re-engineing.
So the benefit of this bolt on arrangement would be it was tucked away, ran on diesel that had a plentiful supply from the main tanks - and maybe quieter?
Old 22-01-2008, 04:55   #6
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssullivan View Post
The good part about the Steyr is that it can be retrofitted to even a Perkins 4-108. I found out about these from a guy who was looking at my old boat. He was going to fly a Steyr tech out to retrofit it onto the Perkins.
I've got a 4107 - nothing wrong with it, for a 37 year old engine . But if I was going down this route (with £££ notes attached) it would probably be with a new engine.

But I have a longggggggg list of things to buy / do before getting to a new engine. Hopefully!!

The intention last year was to do a lot on the boat workwise, but with one thing and another I needed to "keep my powder dry" (£££) - so did not really start. But this year I do have time on my hands, even if not the enthusiasm.

Tags
generator, yanmar