Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2013, 08:38   #31

Re: Yanmar Diesel dead!?

With the compression release engaged to relieve piston compression the engine should be relatively easy to turn. With the compression release not engaged the engine should be relatively easy to turn on the intake/power/exhaust portions of the cycle but very hard to turn on the compression stroke. If the engine is very hard to turn on the compression stroke that means your compression is good.
fryewe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:42   #32

Boat: S2, 9.2, 30 ft
Send a message via Skype™ to RW Sailor

the engine is very hard to turn no matter if compression release is on or off...
And I am turning on the wheel where also the belt for the Alternator is wrapped up...
RW Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 08:48   #33
cruiser

Boat: Hunter 31'

Quote:
Originally Posted by RW Sailor View Post
Which one is that? Seriously I've had trouble with the engine from the beginning even though it was rebuild in 2007, but it never ran for more than 1 hour without some issue and fixing up so it is getting really annoying.
And so slowly I am looking into replacement options. Also did you get to sell your old engine or just scrap it? And where do you buy marine diesels?
I am currently looking into options but high up in the ranking are also electric engines...

It's a new Yanmar, 20 hp, 3 cylinder, fresh water cooled. I have steps that come down the front of the engine compartment at a slight slope. A carpenter built out the space under the steps about 1" to make room for the ONE "pointy place" that caused the engine to not fit.

The oil dipstick is easy to reach, and the impeller is easy to change. The belts are all accessible. The only thing I find a little inconvenient is the backup engine kill switch, which is a button at the back of the engine. I only had to use it once, when I would try to turn the engine on and it would "diesel" but not die. It's a solenoid button, and I have to remove two engine compartment panels, but then it's right at the back of the engine, pretty much dead center.

It was about $7k. I'm not the expert sailor some others here area, and I want my engine to work in an emergency.
Rakuflames is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2013, 15:23   #34

Boat: islandpacket

Yeh I came over thought I would bleed the system and fire it up. But no luck. Tried to crank it it was very slow and labored. Tried a new battery hooked to the starter and it did the same. Removed starter and it worked as a bench test. Teeth and bebdex ok. Ok not a bendex but cant remember the name. Opened decompression lever and tried to turn it over by hand. Tried a wrench still unable to turn it. I can turn my 3gm over but I could not get this to budge. Replaced starter and it would turn it overI slowly and labored. I think somthing is bent or rusted but not compleatly frozen. That was the limit of my ability.
Old 12-07-2013, 15:25   #35

By the way. A very nice boat and great guy. Best of luck .
Old 30-01-2014, 00:56   #36

Did you get this fixed? What was the problem?
I hope it was easy. Best of luck

Sent from my SPH-L710 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Old 30-01-2014, 01:00   #37

Did you find out what was wrong?

Old 30-01-2014, 03:49   #38
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"

Sounds like its been a real pita, I had a friend with a "locked up" motor that actually turned out to be his transmission had locked up. Seems strange that it would run then not turn over.

Ive found most often solenoid problems are simply the connection inside the solenoid. The copper bolt that the cable connects to contacts a copper ring under the plastic cap. This point of contact gets burned after time. Simple fix is to turn the bolt 180 and spin the copper ring to new contact point.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2014, 06:36   #39

So yes, I found the problem and the solution... It was not quite as straight forward as I hoped though...
The solution was to rip the engine out and replace it with an electric - which is by now finished.
The problems turned out to be quite a few. In the process of dismantling the whole thing I came across quite a few seized and completely rotten bits and pieces on the engine, including a drive shaft that was basically non existent. So to be honest I was rather surprised that this thing ever worked....
Anyways: Now the electric is humming along and pushing the boat :-) I'm happy and the boat is moving. What else could you ask for?
Old 30-01-2014, 09:46   #40

Wow; and it looked so nice from the outside. Glad you got it finished. What a job. Congratulations

Old 30-01-2014, 09:47   #41

Thank you! And in case you're curious to see it, feel free to swing by some time ;-)
And yes, it did look nice and shiny from the outside... unfortunately only from the outside...
Old 27-02-2014, 00:31   #42

Did you have a yanmar yse12? I had one that siezed from water in the cylinder
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2014, 16:49   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by d design View Post
Did you have a yanmar yse12? I had one that siezed from water in the cylinder
I don't think so, from my instructions and specifications it says it was a Yanmanr SB12

Tags
diesel, yanmar