Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-12-2012, 05:31   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Yanmar diesel shutting off

Thanks again all.Great ideas about the vent line I,replaced the vent line to the lower tank.The vent to me is kind of perculiar where as the lower line run's to a T connector where the top tank line also connects then one line connects to the T going to the vent.Can the vent be clogged coming out of the tank?
casual is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2012, 16:35   #17

Re: Yanmar diesel shutting off

Quote:
Originally Posted by casual View Post
Thanks again all.Great ideas about the vent line I,replaced the vent line to the lower tank.The vent to me is kind of perculiar where as the lower line run's to a T connector where the top tank line also connects then one line connects to the T going to the vent.Can the vent be clogged coming out of the tank?
2 fuel tank's the lower tank has no problem.I,can get fuel to the Racor filter from the top tank and the engine start's run's for 5 to 6 minutes shut's down.Let it sit for a minute of so the engine restarts but will only run for 1or 2 minutes.

From what I am not hearing you did not replace the vent line to the top tank, therefore, it is possible that the vent line is plugged. I had problems because my vent line came down, it then had a low point which filled with liquid, this was a problem when filling the tank not when running, but if crud grew in there for a while, it could be a problem for both filling and running.

If I had the same problem and could not solve it quickly, I would put in one or two draft gauges zero center with inches of water range, 15 inches should work well, and Dwyer gauges are not real expensive. You would have to check material compatibility with diesel.

There are different ways you could hook them up.
My preference would be to have one before the fuel filter and one after, each with the other side of the gauge to atmosphere.
This would tell you most of what you would want to know, if they were below the fuel tank they would even give you an indication of fuel level in the tank.

Good luck, you can still test the vent by just trying to run the engine and venting through the fuel fill cap.
decktapper is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, yanmar