Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2015, 12:00   #16

Re: Yanmar diesel - stops running/all oil leaked out...

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorchic34 View Post
As SVFraidKnot said, put a wrench on the crank pully bolt and see if it turns over. Pull the decompression levers first, just so there is no chance it would start.

If it turns easily, your lucky and you just need a $58 oil line. If it does not turn, Well lets not talk about that. Though if the oil leaked out and the oil pressure alarm did not go off, then odds are it might be a tad stuck.

Depending how handy you are with a wrench would effect the cost of a rebuild. Figure $700 ish for machining and about $1000 for parts. (Bearings are cheap), if you can turn a wrench. If you have to pay someone else to do it, it would cost as much as a new engine.

Beta BTW is the engine to get as they can match up the engine mounts, which makes a repower soooo much easier.
Sailorchic - This is great help. However one question - what are the decompression levels and how do I "pull them"? Sorry to be the diesel "newbie"...
TampaBaySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:15   #17

Boat: 35ft classic ketch/yawl.
Send a message via Skype™ to roland stockham

When did you last check the oil? Do you have problems with the engine smocking particularly when cold or running hard (ie strong headwind) Another clue is that the transom gets very dirty around the exhaust. If any of these are present you are looking at a complete rebuild.
If the oil did not leak into the bilge it must have gone through the engine. Either this happened slowly because of ware = full rebuild replacement. Or quickly due to internal brakage (pistons, rings or head gasket are most likely) If it resulted in a shut down you may be lucky and just need to repair what broke. If the engine ran for more than about 15min without oil it is probably a right off or at least 'walking wounded' I might trust it in a car but not on a boat.
roland stockham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 12:18   #18
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBaySailor View Post
Sailorchic - This is great help. However one question - what are the decompression levels and how do I "pull them"? Sorry to be the diesel "newbie"...
On the side of the valve cover will be three levers. pushing them toward the front of the engine keeps the exhaust valve from seating which decompresses the cylinder. Very handy in a runaway condition. So before turning a wrench on the crank pully nut, push the levers toward the front. Also handy when bleeding the engine.

After you check that the crank turns or not, just flit them back towards the back of the engine. The decompression levers were there for hand crank starting. You would use a hand crank that fit on the end of the timing gear, open the levers, get the engine spinning and flip one lever close to get it going. Ah the good O' days.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 13:19   #19

Why is it called a GM motor?
mine was a two cylinder Yanmar and that is all I ever heard it called. Just curious. Mac
Hard Rock Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2015, 14:33   #20
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 32

YSE, YSM, and GM among others are all prefixes for Yanmar models
mitiempo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 07:57   #21

Thanks everyone for all the help. I checked the engine rotation and the good news is that it is not ceased up. Seems to turn easily and smoothly with the breaker bar.

It looks like the oil line is the culprit. I will replace and hope for the best!
TampaBaySailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 09:29   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBaySailor
Thanks everyone for all the help. I checked the engine rotation and the good news is that it is not ceased up. Seems to turn easily and smoothly with the breaker bar. It looks like the oil line is the culprit. I will replace and hope for the best!
Great to hear!

The problem with the external oil lines is that it only takes a tiny pin hole to be had and the oil goes quickly.

It's difficult to inspect the line too.

Best,
Great ketch 33
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 18:24   #23

Boat: Gemini 105Mc+
Send a message via Skype™ to Sailorman Ed

Found these pics - is this the oil line in question?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oil line4.jpg
Views:	392
Size:	125.3 KB
ID:	96989   Click image for larger version

Name:	oil line3.jpg
Views:	296
Size:	452.7 KB
ID:	96990  

Sailorman Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2015, 19:17   #24
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed View Post
The small 1/8" grey line behind the fuel line is the external oil feed. You can see it also below the starter on the 2gm.
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2015, 09:40   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailorman Ed
That is the exact oil line I replaced on my Yanmar GM20 this past summer. It wasn't leaking but as part of my replacement of hoses on the engine I inspected the oil line by removing my starter -- easier to get line out for me --- and discovered that the metal line was showing wear.. As if it was rubbing against the starter. Well replace now before it wears a hole while I'm in the middle of navigating through a busy channel.

Good job!
Old 15-02-2015, 20:54   #26

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by TampaBaySailor View Post
Hi,

I have a 20 year old Yanmar diesel 3GM30F with unknown number of hours. A few days ago while underway at ~2000 rpm, the engine died without warning after running for 3 hours. A quick inspection showed all engine oil had leaked out.

After a tow back home, I inspected the engine and could not find any obvious place the oil leaked out however the dipstick clearly showed no remaining oil.

Does the CF community have any suggestions what I should do next? Obviously I need to figure out what happened (why the oil leaked) and additionally how badly damaged my engine is from running without oil.

Thanks!
FYI, one can purchase oil pressure alarms, that go off when the pressure gets low. Might be a useful addition after you repair things.

Ann
Old 15-02-2015, 21:28   #27

Boat: Rinker 24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatketch33 View Post
That is the exact oil line I replaced on my Yanmar GM20 this past summer. It wasn't leaking but as part of my replacement of hoses on the engine I inspected the oil line by removing my starter -- easier to get line out for me --- and discovered that the metal line was showing wear.. As if it was rubbing against the starter. Well replace now before it wears a hole while I'm in the middle of navigating through a busy channel.

Good job!
Good on you for finding a problem before it becomes one!

If you have lines that appear to be chafing, there's nothing wrong with covering them with a piece of slit fuel line to provide some wear protection. Best way to secure the slit tubing is with plastic zip ties. Wrapping with electrical tape looks better but it only takes a little oil or fuel to dissolve the adhesive on the tape. Zip ties work forever and are also easy to remove should the need arise.
MBWhite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2015, 04:38   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by MBWhite
Good on you for finding a problem before it becomes one! If you have lines that appear to be chafing, there's nothing wrong with covering them with a piece of slit fuel line to provide some wear protection. Best way to secure the slit tubing is with plastic zip ties. Wrapping with electrical tape looks better but it only takes a little oil or fuel to dissolve the adhesive on the tape. Zip ties work forever and are also easy to remove should the need arise.
Thanks MBWhite, yes you have provided I good idea. Wish the snow was gone and the temps were 70 degrees higher than zero so I could get back to messing about in the boat.
Old 16-02-2015, 05:31   #29
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
FYI, one can purchase oil pressure alarms, that go off when the pressure gets low. Might be a useful addition after you repair things
actually the yanmar 3gm control panel should already have an oil pressure alarm. you should have heard it when you turned the key before it started. if not it needs to be fixed and could be as simple as a corroded electrical connection. the seloc yanmar book is a great source of information.
Old 16-02-2015, 05:36   #30
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: 48 Wauquiez Pilot Saloon

TampaBay....

GO BUY A LOTTERY TICKET RIGHT NOW!!!

(I'll send you my address for 1/2 the winnings)

Mai Tai's fix everything...
HappyMdRSailor is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
diesel, oil, oil leak, yanmar