Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-10-2015, 01:45   #16

Boat: Kaufman 47
Re: Yanmar engine choice

Quote:
Originally Posted by bstreep View Post
Sorry, but turbos do NOT belong on sailboats. The need to be run hard, and often. Are you aware that the Yanmar recommendation on the use of turbo way is, get this, "weekly". We sail. We use our engine just not enough.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
They don't need to be run hard, just correctly like every other diesel, around 75% load. It says to run them hard (like any diesel) when you are at idle for long periods of time.

No I'm not aware of this recommendation because, get this, it doesn't exist. I just looked at my manual, and did a search for the words "week" "weekly" and nothing was found. Imagine that...

And with all the threads about these boats or those boats motorsailing all the time, I think a good portion don't sail that often. Learn to use your equipment correctly and maintain it correctly.

Sent from my VS986 using Tapatalk
SailRedemption is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 11:11   #17

Boat: 1990 Macintosh 47, "Merlin"

Quote:
Originally Posted by SailRedemption View Post
No I'm not aware of this recommendation because, get this, it doesn't exist. I just looked at my manual, and did a search for the words "week" "weekly" and nothing was found. Imagine that...

Thanks for trolling anyways. k
Here ya go! Page 4-20 of the linked document. http://www.dieselpartseurope.com/web...vicemanual.pdf

Note that the exact words are "The frequency of this (use of Blower Wash) will differ greatly depending on working conditions, but about once a week is generally sufficient."

An apology is warranted.
bstreep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 17:09   #18

Quote:
Here ya go! Page 4-20 of the linked document. http://www.dieselpartseurope.com/web...vicemanual.pdf

Note that the exact words are "The frequency of this (use of Blower Wash) will differ greatly depending on working conditions, but about once a week is generally sufficient."

An apology is warranted.
I will firstly, apologize to you, that comment was uncalled for, no excuses.

I will tell you that that manual is the older engines. The newer version 4jh4-te, which I have, recommends a cleaning every 250 hours or 1 year whichever comes first. They probably changed it because that's insane for a pleasure duty engine, maybe for a continuous duty engine.

Turbos aren't what they used to be since computer aided design and development has improved them greatly. They get bad reps because of how people run their engines, they aren't made to be idled from the dock to the harbor, turned off then reverse that going in. They will coke up, turbo or not, and it will cause engine problems.

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445904443700.jpg
Views:	264
Size:	389.1 KB
ID:	111634

Old 26-10-2015, 19:07   #19
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
FWIW, John Deere mini tractors use Yanmar engines...
Small John Deere tractors are Yanmar tractors. JD just paints them green and yellow and slaps there label on them. If you need basic engine parts might look to your local John Deere dealer for parts.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-10-2015, 19:16   #20

Quote:
I will firstly, apologize to you, that comment was uncalled for, no excuses.

I will tell you that that manual is the older engines. The newer version 4jh4-te, which I have, recommends a cleaning every 250 hours or 1 year whichever comes first. They probably changed it because that's insane for a pleasure duty engine, maybe for a continuous duty engine.

Turbos aren't what they used to be since computer aided design and development has improved them greatly. They get bad reps because of how people run their engines, they aren't made to be idled from the dock to the harbor, turned off then reverse that going in. They will coke up, turbo or not, and it will cause engine problems.

Attachment 111634

Thank you. All cool!

Yes, that's EXACTLY it. And when I idle into the slip, I'm afraid to rev the carp out of it, because it dumps soot on the water. There are areas, like Kemah TX, where you might have to idle in and out for 20 minutes - and it's all slow speed. At least ours is only about 5 minutes.

BTW, I've found I can pull the exhaust elbow in about 15 minutes, and get to the exhaust side of the turbo, without removing. I do this about every 6 months, and clean it. I'm not going to post "with what", since it's probably not recommended. But it's a solution used by VW diesel engine owners. Similar IHI turbocharger. Does yours also have an IHI turbo on it?
Old 26-10-2015, 20:05   #21

While I grant that early turbo's used to be the source of a lot of problems, they now seem to be among the most reliable bits on sailboat diesels. Even cost-is-no-object circumnavigating boats like the Oyster 545 are fitted with a Yanmar turbo.

I've had three offshore sailboats all with Yanmar turbos. Never had to touch the turbo - just wash at 500 hour intervals (several mechanics have agreed this is plenty). I doubt the turbo is even on the top 10 list of Yanmar problems.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 01:28   #22

Quote:
Thank you. All cool!

Yes, that's EXACTLY it. And when I idle into the slip, I'm afraid to rev the carp out of it, because it dumps soot on the water. There are areas, like Kemah TX, where you might have to idle in and out for 20 minutes - and it's all slow speed. At least ours is only about 5 minutes.

BTW, I've found I can pull the exhaust elbow in about 15 minutes, and get to the exhaust side of the turbo, without removing. I do this about every 6 months, and clean it. I'm not going to post "with what", since it's probably not recommended. But it's a solution used by VW diesel engine owners. Similar IHI turbocharger. Does yours also have an IHI turbo on it?
Just have to juice it when you get out the marina for a few minutes.. I like giving it juice because I love the sound of a turbo spooling up! But always let it come back down to lower temp by idling it for a few minutes.

I took the elbow off when I was installing my engine earlier this year to see if I could change orientation, couldn't, but it wasn't that bad. I honestly don't know what turbo I have, haven't gotten to that service time yet, only 12 hrs on the clock.

Old 27-10-2015, 01:30   #23

A picture of mine from purchase.. Is it similar to yours?

Click image for larger version

Name:	uploadfromtaptalk1445934563776.jpg
Views:	228
Size:	184.2 KB
ID:	111653

Old 27-10-2015, 15:37   #24

Boat: Tartan 40

Which engine is that? Pretty....

malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-10-2015, 15:50   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Which engine is that? Pretty....

4JH4-TE 75hp with ZF MIV 150 (v drive) , Bought new last year.

Old 28-10-2015, 23:54   #26

Yanmar engine choice

Even though it it is over 20 years older, it's almost identical. Including the IHI turbo.

Old 29-10-2015, 01:37   #27

Quote:
Even though it it is over 20 years older, it's almost identical. Including the IHI turbo.

Yea, I'm sure they have very similar design. Probably just new materials, internals, etc.

How many hours do you have on yours?

Old 29-10-2015, 02:54   #28

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahia View Post
Hi guys,

I'm looking to replace my engines & saildrives in my FP Bahia 46.
I've got the 40hp 3-cylinder bolted to SD31 drives now, however the boat had 4 cylinder engines before.

So my options are now again the 3-cylinder or the 4-cylinder with SD60 saildrives.
But also I'm a bit interested in the 4-cylinder turbo engine... since the difference in price is not that big.

I'm thinking to get the 75hp turbo and to overprop it.
My thoughts are to calculate the prop to take 30kw at 1800rpm engine speed.
This will be exactly 75% load (engine delivers max 40kw at 1800rpm).
In order to have cruising speed at around 1800rpm and max rev at around 2400rpm.

Is there anything wrong with my thoughts?
Share your opinion please.

Thanks
Bahia
4 Cylinder is much nicer then 3. I just upgraded our boat by one cylinder. But when looking at the new Yanmars, I noticed the 4 cylinders are now all common-rail. On itself a great technology but very picky on the quality of fuel. Especially water in the fuel kills the injectors. Those are really expensive in common rail systems.
For a sail boat it pays to have simple technology given the turnover speed of fuel.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2015, 04:15   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by aluijten View Post
4 Cylinder is much nicer then 3. I just upgraded our boat by one cylinder. But when looking at the new Yanmars, I noticed the 4 cylinders are now all common-rail. On itself a great technology but very picky on the quality of fuel. Especially water in the fuel kills the injectors. Those are really expensive in common rail systems.
For a sail boat it pays to have simple technology given the turnover speed of fuel.
I don't think the smaller engines are common rail just yet. I bought my engine last summer(2014) and it isn't common rail. It could be a few more years before that happens, but I think it's coming. I do agree with you, nice system for a boat that stays inland but probably not for the far away cruiser. More so for a power boat where you would benefit from the improved fuel economy and more power. You can buy an engine with it I'm sure but the option for a regular injection pump is still there.

Old 29-10-2015, 04:28   #30

Boat: Victoire 1122

Quote:
I don't think the smaller engines are common rail just yet. I bought my engine last summer(2014) and it isn't common rail. It could be a few more years before that happens, but I think it's coming. I do agree with you, nice system for a boat that stays inland but probably not for the far away cruiser. More so for a power boat where you would benefit from the improved fuel economy and more power. You can buy an engine with it I'm sure but the option for a regular injection pump is still there.
Last boatshow I was in september this year the good people of Yanmar proudly presented the new line of diesels (common rails) starting at 45 HP.
Actually the sales person I talked to was very cautious about the common rail in combination with sail boats. The funny thing was that the same engine block without common rail delivered over 50 HP.
aluijten is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
engine, yanmar