Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-10-2014, 02:40   #1

Yanmar engine mounts

No way I'm paying that much for Yanmar mounts. Anybody know a good alternative? My engine is a one banging 1GM10.

I could restore the originals by welding some plate on them but want to know if it is worth it.

cheers
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 06:01   #2

Boat: US$4,550 of lead under a GRP hull with cutter rig
Re: Yanmar engine mounts

d design: You didn't quote the price (?for original Yanmar mounts?) that you thought was too much.

Have you looked at and priced Polyflex Y 1CTF mounts?

See: Poly Flex Group Pty Ltd

I don't know if these are 1CTF mounts or a stiffer model meant for a bigger engine: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/queen...lex/1055584359

Al
Alan Mighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 06:35   #3

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Or you could go with something like this from your local industrial supply house, these are less than 20.00 from McMaster Carr in the US.

Bolt-Down Vibration-Damping Mount

Fail Safe, 1/2"-13 Thread, 471 lb. Capacity

In stock
$18.60 Each

64875K231

Thread/Hole Diameter 1/2"-13 Capacity per Mount 471 lbs. Deflection @ Maximum Capacity 0.13" Durometer 30A Overall Height (A) 1.78" (B) 2.42" Base Length (C) 5.50" Width (D) 3.37" Mounting Holes Diameter 0.51" Center-to-Center 4.12" Color Black Additional Specifications Fail Safe Keep mounts stationary in compression load applications—mounting holes in the flange base allow you to fasten them in place. Mounts provide vibration, shock, and noise isolation for rotating equipment such as fans, blowers, pumps, compressors, and generators. Made of oil-resistant rubber with a steel base. Styles 1-7 have a tapped hole in the center that allows you to use your own threaded rod or bolt; Style 8 has an unthreaded through-hole. Base has two mounting holes, except Style 7 has four holes (fasteners not included).
Fail-safe mounts have an interlocking steel design that keeps the mount intact even if the rubber fails.
Styles 1&2—Temperature range is 10° to 180° F.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 06:39   #4

Boat: sold Now motor cruiser

I've fitted Polyflex to my 1GMs on my cat. They are much firmer but will last much longer. Be sure to look at the extra thickness of the bases. I had to replace all bolts.
bill good is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 06:42   #5
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

See ➥ http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...nts-39898.html

DF-2205-2 Sailboat Supplies, Engine Parts and Boat Parts

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2014, 11:05   #6

Thanks guys I will look into that.

The genuine Yanmar ones were $636.57 NZD for 4.
d design is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 08:41   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

Installed engine mounts similar to the second ones that GordMay posted. Don't remember the manufacturer but emailed/called the manufacturer, told them what my engine was and they shipped me the proper mounts for my 3GM30. Needed to change to smaller mounts because of space issue with the engine bed. The PO, who'd installed the engine, had used the stock mounts that looked fine but fell apart when the engine was pulled. The smaller mounts have worked fine though not a ton of hours on the engine.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-10-2014, 10:43   #8

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I used the Poly Flex and like them. I never used the Yanmar mounts when I re-powered.
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 18:48   #9

You can replace with a after market mount. Boatswin locker Newport beach has them around $40.00 each
seabreeone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 18:57   #10

Boat: Makela,Ingrid38,Idora

I did the two aft mount on my 4jhte at about $40.00 each for parts. The old ones were rusty and soft.
It helped overall viabration a lot.
IdoraKeeper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 20:27   #11

Boat: Westsail 32

There's a 3GM30F here in my boat.

Some very sophisticated engineering must have gone into vibration control in these engines. Were it uncontrolled the engine vibration would shake the boat and tear the shaft bearing apart and score the shaft. But it doesn't. There are two things.

Every engine has an inherent heavy vibration at some speed. It's a characteristic of the engine and can't be eliminated. But it can be moved. Yanmar put a vibration damper on the front of the crankshaft which moves the inherent vibration down to about 600 rpm and they set the idle speed above it at 800 rpm. So there's no inherent heavy vibration at all when the engine is running. You see it only when you pull the stop cable and the engine (dies a horrible death ) shakes hard as it stops.

The engine vibrates when it runs as the pistons compress and push, and the cylinders hit. This vibration is controlled by the engine mounts. Their placement and rubber are designed so the engine vibrates around its shaft. Thus the shaft does not flex or move to stress the bearing.

I can't believe that any third party engine mounts would be designed to these specs. When my engine mounts wore out (I found the rubber turned to mush. The engine was built around 1985) I replaced them with OEM mounts.
Seymore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-10-2014, 21:56   #12

Boat: Hans Christian 41T

Another vote for Polyflex. They offer direct replacements for Yanmar mounts. We recently re-powered with a Yanmar 4jh4-te and used the Polyflex mounts. When I finished up the re-power I had a Yanmar tech come to do an inspection to insure that I had done everything correctly. Apparently they meet Yanmars specs as they singed off on our warranty when the tech was finished (he did look at the Polyflex paperwork).

Tags
engine, yanmar