Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-06-2019, 06:58   #16

Boat: Watkins 29
Re: Yanmar Exhaust Elbow - Source of leak?

Quote:
Originally Posted by bostonbubba View Post
Hello,

Long time lurker, finally posting. Running into an issue with an exhaust elbow for a Yanmar 2GM20F that I could use some input on.

I replaced the exhaust riser, coupling, and exhaust elbow at the beginning of last season as the old one had reached the end of its lifespan. Everything ran great last summer through winterization. Fast forward to this season, replaced the impeller, recommissioned the engine, and everything looked fine again. However, now I am getting a small leak at the coupler junction (the double threaded piece that connects the riser to the elbow).

In theory, there shouldn't be any water at that junction, just exhaust. Water is coming out the exhaust at the transom as expected. I pulled everything off to have a look and the elbow looks fine, no cracks/holes. I put it back together with Hercules Real-Tuff teflon thread sealant (hand tightened with a 90 degree bend), put it back on and still same issue. The engine appears to be running fineI am wondering if there might be some sort of blockage in the wet exhaust hose further down stream but then why would water still be coming out? I could run a snake from the muffler back to see if there is any thing in there.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance.

Back pressure from the muffler???

Just reaching for straws... and looking for an inexpensive solution! Good luck. Let us know when you find out where its coming from.

Thoughts on where is the water coming from?
dennismenace111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2019, 17:50   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar Exhaust Elbow - Source of leak?

yes bit of a tricky one given you have a newish elbow. Id recommend a stainless mixing elbow from exhaust elbow.com or the HDI marine one rather than Yanmars one if you find you need another
I'd be suspecting a crack too. The fatal flaw in the Yanmar design mixing elbow is that any leaks on riser side dump water back into head. Even a little leak will cause valve pitting & bore water damage ( Ask me how I know) I fabricated an elbow that injects water only on downhill side after elbow to avoid the issue reoccurring
You need to find the problem but yes it maybe back pressure related.. I dont know.
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, exhaust, yanmar