Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2011, 15:34   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
Yanmar Lift Pump

I am having problems with my Yanmar lift pump. My engine is making oil. While in Mexico a couple of years ago I bypassed the lift pump and installed an electric pump. From Cabo to San Diego I had no problem with the engine making oil. When I returned to SD I replaced the lift pump and didn't have a problem -- till now. There were almost 7 quarts of oil in the sump when I did the oil change. I have brought a sample home with me and am going to have it analyzed but I am quite sure that there is diesel in the oil. Looking at the oil flow chart in the manual I see that the oil is used to lubricate the injection pump and thus has a source of putting fuel in the oil. Is there any way to install a Yanmar lift pump wrong and still have it work but leak diesel into the oil? Should I get permanently bypass the lift pump? Is there something in the injection pump that could be causing the problem?

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:38   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Re: Yanmar Lift Pump

You would be hard pressed to install the lift pump wrong.

Is the electric pump feeding the lift pump?

If it is feeding the lift pump, you are probably forcing diesel fuel into the engine thru the seals in the lift pump.....I see this in a lot of boats where pwners DIY a way to fill their filters....instead of doing it the proper way.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 18:52   #3

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Charlie, the most likely cause is the lift pump but the high pressure pump could also be leaking diesel into the lub. oil.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:00   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chief Engineer View Post
You would be hard pressed to install the lift pump wrong.

Is the electric pump feeding the lift pump?

If it is feeding the lift pump, you are probably forcing diesel fuel into the engine thru the seals in the lift pump.....I see this in a lot of boats where pwners DIY a way to fill their filters....instead of doing it the proper way.
HI Chief I think I'm going to have to avail myself of your services. I did not hook the electric pump to the lift pump. I looped the line on the lift pump that went to the engine filter back to the suction end of the lift pump. I then plumbed in the electric fuel pump to the to the fuel filter on the engine. I figured that this was the way to not have the engine oil and the diesel have any point of contact. Was I correct? Is it "legal" for you to post how ones hires your services in this thread. If not could you please PM me and let me know how it works and if you feel that you could help me with this problem.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Charlie, the most likely cause is the lift pump but the high pressure pump could also be leaking diesel into the lub. oil.
I am trying to find an exploded diagram of the HP Pump and the lift pump but I left my parts manual on the boat. I don't expect to be back there till next month so am taking this time to research the problem.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Old 23-08-2011, 20:36   #5
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Islander 34

If the Diaphragm on the lift pump is torn /leaking it could leak diesel into the block
sailorchic34 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2011, 20:42   #6

Thanks SC34 I'll check that next time I am down there.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 23-08-2011, 21:01   #7

Boat: Big brick box and a '62 Airstream Ambassador. Formerly Pacific Seacraft

Hi Charlie, happened to me once, a nasty surprise and a crash course in Yanmar design. Sailorchic is right, a little tear, over time can let fuel in and overflow from the dipstick if fuel tank is higher. Try replacing once more, perhaps the one you installed is exchangeable?

Chase
cheoah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-08-2011, 06:41   #8
Eternal Member

So your setup is like this....

Fuel tank>Primary Filter>Electric Pump>Secondary Filter>Injection Pump.

If so....something is blown in the IP
Old 24-08-2011, 07:30   #9

Quote:
So your setup is like this....

Fuel tank>Primary Filter>Electric Pump>Secondary Filter>Injection Pump.

If so....something is blown in the IP
Chief right now it is set up like this fuel tank>Racor>Lift Pump>Secondary Filter>Injection Pump. If I set it up as you explained above then I don't get the creating oil problem.

I'll have to study the manual on removing the injection pump. Know I don't want to open up the pump but maybe removing it won't be that bad. Not sure how to find the oil leak.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 24-08-2011, 11:26   #10
Eternal Member

If the electric pump is not in the system, most likey you habe a failed diaphragm in the lift pump.

On gas engines there is usually a hose from the pump to the carburetor...in case the diaphragm goes, the fuel doesn't leak into the bilge or engine

Diesels don't have such a setup (Yanmar)
Old 24-08-2011, 12:26   #11

I will pull the lift pump and run the test that is recommended in the repair manual. If the diaphragm is bad then I believe that I can replace it. What I am confused about is why two of them would go out in such a short period of time. The engine has less then 600 hours on it?

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 24-08-2011, 13:31   #12
Eternal Member

They can fail if they are trying to pull too much of a vacuum.

This could be due to a severely clogged filter or obstruction in the fuel feed from the tank
Old 24-08-2011, 13:53   #13

Quote:
They can fail if they are trying to pull too much of a vacuum.

This could be due to a severely clogged filter or obstruction in the fuel feed from the tank
I have a dual Racor with a pressure gauge on it. With this i will be able to tell whether or not there is excessive pressure. Correct. Does this need to be under load or can it be at idle with high RPM at the dock.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad
Old 24-08-2011, 17:54   #14
Eternal Member

You mean a vacuum gauge?
Old 24-08-2011, 21:28   #15

Racor 2666790 MAX-DUAL Fuel Filter/Water Separator is what I have.

Charlie

Joseph Conrad

Tags
yanmar