Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-06-2023, 07:10   #1

Yanmar noise and gearbox alignment

Hi everyone!

I’m back posting here to get some more advice which I greatly appreciate!!

Still getting the engine ready to move the boat but have two concerns:

1) Engine has a knocking sound which can be heard when I take the video further away from the engine.

2) I’m having quite a hard time aligning the engine to the shaft after the new install. In reverse it’s seems to be better but in forward it wobbles quite a bit and the gearbox sounds a lot more than in reverse…

Engine has just been rebuilt, videos shot at 800rpm so yes, there is less wobble if I rev up to 1100-1700 but after 1800 the wobble starts becoming more pronounced again!

Mounts are new. It’s a 4jh2-te.

The knocking sounds to me like it’s maybe the dampener? Or somewhere close to the flywheel … (and that video was shot in neutral.)

The noise the gearbox makes is amplified by the phone but it’s definitely worse in forward.

Any ideas?

https://streamable.com/u9yhuc
https://streamable.com/aejnow
https://streamable.com/s8tlmq
IsaakOker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 09:01   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: Yanmar noise and gearbox alignment

In the last video engine running sounds ok to me. The noise and motion when in gear are extreme however. Either alignment is way out, prop shaft bent, prop bent or out of balance or the transmission compromised. Quite honestly sounds like metal on metal which is never good in a trans.
Calif.Ted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2023, 12:13   #3

Re: Yanmar noise and gearbox alignment

Thanks for the input!

The cutlass, shaft oil and prop are ok but the alignment is definitely off as I'm having a hard time aligning it.

As for the sound at the engine end, it was a loose diesel line at the FI pump. Which was causing a misfire or something I suppose.

The gearbox metallic noise is quite concerning but I'm unsure if it's because of the miss alignment or if the transmission has an issue in itself.

Currently, I'm trying to find the center for the shaft coupler by measuring left, right up and down and securing it in the center & then moving the engine mounts but it doesn't seem to be an easy job as it's the second time I decouple and try aligning it from scratch...
IsaakOker is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
gear, gearbox, men, noise, yanmar