Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-02-2010, 08:56   #1

Yanmar Oil Changing

Hi folks:
Question about oil filling on my Yanmar 4JHE. This engine has two oil filler caps--one on the valve cover on top of the engine and one lower on the timing gear housing. There appears to be only one dipstick, measuring oil in the main sump.
Why are there 2 oil filler caps? I have only added oil from the top cap, into the valve cover opening. Is the other one there only as an accessory in case the upper one is unavailable due to space restriction? When I look into the timing gear space through the oil filler cap the gear appears wet with oil.
Cannot find instructions/explanation in service or owner's manual.
Thanks,
Pete
rigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:09   #2

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
yes, the caps both go to the same place, for different applications one or the other is impractical to use.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:38   #3

Boat: Irwin Citation 39 'Chesagansett'
OK, stupid question: is this typical of Yanmar models? The valve cover oil cap on my 3QM30 is difficult to get at (impossible if I put on weight). I've never thought to look for another filler cap.
steve_hendry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 09:43   #4

Boat: Sceptre 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by rigormortis View Post
Hi folks:
Question about oil filling on my Yanmar 4JHE. This engine has two oil filler caps--one on the valve cover on top of the engine and one lower on the timing gear housing. There appears to be only one dipstick, measuring oil in the main sump.
Why are there 2 oil filler caps? I have only added oil from the top cap, into the valve cover opening. Is the other one there only as an accessory in case the upper one is unavailable due to space restriction? When I look into the timing gear space through the oil filler cap the gear appears wet with oil.
Cannot find instructions/explanation in service or owner's manual.
Thanks,
Pete
Had the same question with mine. It think it just depends on which cap is easiest to get to.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 14:42   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_hendry View Post
OK, stupid question: is this typical of Yanmar models? The valve cover oil cap on my 3QM30 is difficult to get at (impossible if I put on weight). I've never thought to look for another filler cap.

You know I never paid any attention when I was servicing engines, I always just looked for the eaisest way to put the oil back in
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 15:36   #6

Thanks guys. On the one hand I would like to hand it to Yanmar to offer the option of oil filler locations. On my other hand, I would advise them to outsource their manual writing contracts to English-speaking idiots like me.
Pete--currenly in Chile and heading for Tahiti come April.
rigormortis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:03   #7

Boat: a sailing boat
Same story here. I used the top one and the engine works ;-)

My VP has just one - cannot go wrong! (Unless you have a quick hand and add oil to cooling water tank -hahaha).

BTW The Yanmar engine manual is ... (pulp fiction) compared to our 30 y.o. VP manual - no good drawings to explain the maintenance steps !!!

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 17:17   #8

Boat: Currently boatless
I've used both the upper and lower ports. The only difference I can see is that the oil poured into the upper opening seems to take longer to drain into the sump. If you take the dipstick reading before it drains down, you can overfill your engine.
Ziggy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oil change, yanmar