Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 17-06-2024, 10:34   #16

Re: Yanmar rebuild on East Coast USA?

I had a GREAT experience with one of the most skilled mechanics who is in the Boston area. I sent him a cylinder head and fuel pump to be rebuilt and he did fantastic work and was very reasonably priced. Call Fred Knowles at (781) 608-4740
CruiserMIKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 11:00   #17

Boat: too many to list

I was intrigued by some of the keywords ... cheap, and good.

Those are two of the choices. As a Marine Service Provider, you probably know the other one: fast.

We get to pick from two of three: cheap, fast, good.
Cheap + Fast is not good.
Fast + Good is not cheap.
Cheap + Good is not fast.

You didn't describe the problem you were having, so it's impossible for us to be of assistance there. A 2001 Yanmar is no complex machine. I had a guy passing once from Houston through New Orleans (where I am) that was suddenly "making oil" and having pursuant problems; nearly hydrolocked with fuel. We got him some spare injectors for his kit, and replaced the fuel lift pump which had a leaking diaphragm (straight into the crankcase).

I was happy to see him return 18 months later (not with the boat, just on vacation for the Madisonville, LA WOODEN BOAT FESTIVAL). Saw him on the street and he mentioned he'd been 6,000 miles through the Caribbean and up the East Coast, back down to Savannah, and hadn't had another problem I hadn't taught him already to fix.

Another 18 months or so passed and he called from Savannah having some problem of excessive soot, if I remember correctly. He was lugging it at the dock. I suggested a bottom clean and clean props, then go run in the river a while. He called back a week or so later and confirmed that his worst fears were not realized, it was just a dirty bottom and dirty prop and tied to a pier.

So, what's the problem you're having making you consider a rebuild? I will also add, 25 years on a saltwater cooled engine is pushing it (after 20 years is), 30 is almost a death sentence. If you're freshwater cooled however, it'll go forever, without the deadly microchips.
BayouSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 13:04   #18

Boat: Seidelmann 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayouSailing View Post

So, what's the problem you're having making you consider a rebuild? I will also add, 25 years on a saltwater cooled engine is pushing it (after 20 years is), 30 is almost a death sentence. If you're freshwater cooled however, it'll go forever, without the deadly microchips.
Ha, I'm going on 40 years on my 3GMD raw water cooled Yanmar, so where does that put me?? I find too many people don't do basic maintenance, and then balk as to why their engine failed them.
Nealnj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 16:44   #19

Boat: too many to list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nealnj View Post
Ha, I'm going on 40 years on my 3GMD raw water cooled Yanmar, so where does that put me?? I find too many people don't do basic maintenance, and then balk as to why their engine failed them.
It puts you firmly on borrowed time.

If you've been diligent about block anodes, you're doing well. You are correct, most are not diligent about such things as block anodes.

The simplest search on Google reveals someone advertising (in 2004) that their block anode is "about 7 years old" and he's thinking about refreshing it! That's the more common occurence.

So if you've changed it every six months you may have another 40 years. The aforementioned, he'll see block rot pretty soon!
BayouSailing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 01:12   #20

Boat: S&S 40

Why the rebuild? What's wrong with the engine?
Burning oil, smoking, compression down?
Icarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2024, 03:51   #21

Boat: Cheoy Lee 47 CC

An engine with that many hours shouldn't need a rebuild, unless previous maintenance was poor.
lifeofreilly57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, rebuild, USA, yanmar