Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-06-2024, 08:39   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 42 catamaran
Yanmar rebuild on East Coast USA?

It looks like it is time to get our port engine rebuilt. Yanmar 3JH3E

Can anyone recommend a good and cheap mechanic on the US east coast (preferably in or north of the Chesapeak) who is able to do the job? And I guess we need a cheap boatyard nearby in which to haul the boat for the work.

We also have a fiberglass project we want to do by ourselves, so if said boatyard allows us to do that, that would be a plus.

Any suggestions welcome
Thanks

Life is too short to live in ugly places.
LifePart2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 11:10   #2

Boat: sailboat
Re: Yanmar rebuild on East Coast USA?

What year is your engine?
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 11:34   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Beneteau 423

Stay close to the Chesapeake to keep costs down compared to NYC and beyond. Check out Herrington Harbor Marinas. They have some excellent pro resources and allow you to DIY too. Though I have never had any engine work done there.
hlev00 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 13:44   #4

Boat: Catalina 42

I was happy with the folks at Duck Creek Marina in New Bern, NC. A little south of where you want to be, but their pricing was sure a lot better than what I'm used to in New England. They came highly recommended by locals.

Not a full rebuild, but the mechanic seemed to know his stuff and they were easy to work with.
Reeve21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2024, 13:57   #5

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by LifePart2 View Post
It looks like it is time to get our port engine rebuilt. Yanmar 3JH3E

Can anyone recommend a good and cheap mechanic on the US east coast (preferably in or north of the Chesapeak) who is able to do the job? And I guess we need a cheap boatyard nearby in which to haul the boat for the work.
I think Mack Boring -- in NJ somewhere? -- is a U.S. distributor for Yanmar. If so, you might ask them for recommendations...

-Chris
Old 07-06-2024, 14:09   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger58sb View Post
I think Mack Boring -- in NJ somewhere? -- is a U.S. distributor for Yanmar. If so, you might ask them for recommendations...

-Chris
Yep, he needs to call the folks at Mack Boring.
DirtPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2024, 10:06   #7

Boat: Wellcraft portofino 43’

K.O Motorsports in Schuylerville, NY (518-415-2027) rebuilt the 3 cyl Yanmar on my genset a couple years ago. Very happy with the work but they're primarily an exotic car shop. The local marina for storage (Still's Cove) has a problem with the approach depth being only about 4'. It might be worth contacting the shop.
David Mathis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2024, 08:46   #8

Down Jersey Marine on the Cohansey River, South Jersey off the Delaware River, is a Yanmar dealer with a good reputation. I have no affiliation with them.
billflan57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2024, 08:15   #9
Marine Service Provider

Thanks for the responses. I will check them out.

The engine is 2001 with 7500 hours on it.

Noel

Old 11-06-2024, 15:27   #10

I would price the cost of a new engine too. I think you'll find the cost of a full rebuild to be pretty shocking - well over half the cost of a new engine. And you don't really get a warranty.

Rebuilds of small Yanmars are hard to justify.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-06-2024, 11:56   #11
Marine Service Provider

Well, I did some phoning acound and got quotes of around $14k for an engine and $13k for installation. Wow. And that is for a modern all electronic 3JH40 that I am sure will run nicely, until it doesn't and then is complicated to repair. No thanks.

So we are still looking at options. It may yet be that we can get it repaired ...

Noel

Old 14-06-2024, 15:16   #12

Boat: sailboat

Howdy Noel, asked about your engine year because at some point the "government" took over our lives for our Safety and mandated that everything be stoopid and electronic. AKA, unreliable and disposable. To protect us from dangerous viruses and climate change. So be happy and support that or you are a terrorist.

Your current engine might be old enough to be an Engine instead of a computer controlled piece of sh!t, if so, do everything you can to keep it. Which means learning how to fix it yourself. Ask me.

Good luck if you don't want to take on the responsibility of Competence...If you find it an actual competent machine shop PLEASE let me know - the BEST engine machine shops in my state have destroyed my Yanmar and I am now shopping for a "new" engine.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2024, 06:57   #13
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kello View Post
Howdy Noel, asked about your engine year because at some point the "government" took over our lives for our Safety and mandated that everything be stoopid and electronic. AKA, unreliable and disposable. To protect us from dangerous viruses and climate change. So be happy and support that or you are a terrorist.

Your current engine might be old enough to be an Engine instead of a computer controlled piece of sh!t, if so, do everything you can to keep it. Which means learning how to fix it yourself. Ask me.

Good luck if you don't want to take on the responsibility of Competence...If you find it an actual competent machine shop PLEASE let me know - the BEST engine machine shops in my state have destroyed my Yanmar and I am now shopping for a "new" engine.
Yes, it is a fully basic engine - fuel, air, compression. That's it. I really don't want one of those new electronic things that I can't fix myself and that die in a lightning strike. However, this seems like a bigger job, so I am going to Riverside Marine at Hayes VA who seemed to talk sense and say they can at least diagnose and probably fix. They are suspecting a blown injector and accompanying hydro lock with fuel instead of water. Does make sense and confirms what some others have said, so I hope that is all it is. We shall see.

Old 17-06-2024, 07:31   #14

Boat: Tripp 41

I had JBs auto machine shop rebuild the cylinder head and injectors for my yanmar 3gm30f when I took it off. They did a fantastic job and for a great price. They said they could do the full engine as well, which I would do in a heart beat.

They’re a great shop and I would much rather support them than many of the people in the marine industry.
Notyetsinking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-06-2024, 08:37   #15

Boat: Southern cross 35

You could try Dale at Chesapeake engine and machine in Cordova MD. He's not a boat guy so doesn't charge boat prices. You'll need to pull the engine and reinstall yourself and drive it to his place for the rebuild. He did our M30 a few years back and did a good job at a reasonable price.
Josephcrawl is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
east coast, rebuild, USA, yanmar