Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2019, 16:41   #1
B4A

Boat: 2018 Robertson and Caine, Leopard 40
Yanmar SD25 sail drive oil change

As you may know, the drain plug on the SD25 is at the bottom of the sail drive. This means that by design, to drain all the 2 liters of oil in the sail drive at the recommended intervals, I should haul out the boat.

This is uneconomical.

By using a suction pump like the one in the image below, I am able to suck 800/900 ml out of the 2 liters. No more than that, because the suction tube can't reach the bottom.

My questions are:

1) Does anybody know if there is a pump with a smaller diameter suction hose that can suck the whole 2 liters?

2) If not, what is better, changing the oil more often than the specified interval, or suck 800 ml, refil, suck another 800 ml, refil and do this like 3 times?

die or dice
Old 03-06-2019, 21:10   #2

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock
Re: Yanmar SD25 sail drive oil change

You should do it more than twice.

When I had a water issue, I did it 9 times, but I could pump out only about 1/3 of the oil.

Wanted to get .667X.667X.667X.667X.667... down as close to zero as I felt comfortable.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 01:31   #3
B4A

Just to make it clear: I don't have any water ingress issue.

It's just routine oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ggray View Post
You should do it more than twice.

When I had a water issue, I did it 9 times, but I could pump out only about 1/3 of the oil.

Wanted to get .667X.667X.667X.667X.667... down as close to zero as I felt comfortable.
Old 04-06-2019, 02:24   #4

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran

Hi B4A -the oil extractor pump you show normally comes with a hose as shown and on the end another hose that’s about 1/2 the diameter of that one and if you jiggle it around a little you can insert it way down to the bottom of the sail drive and can extract about 2 litres of gear oil .
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 02:33   #5
B4A

Hi Jacana,

do you own a SD25 sail drive and were you able to extract 2 liters with that?

Regards,

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jacana View Post
Hi B4A -the oil extractor pump you show normally comes with a hose as shown and on the end another hose that’s about 1/2 the diameter of that one and if you jiggle it around a little you can insert it way down to the bottom of the sail drive and can extract about 2 litres of gear oil .
Old 04-06-2019, 09:36   #6

Boat: Catamaran Schionning Wilderness 1320, built myself

There is a trick, but it involves diving and some preparation. As oil floats on water there is no spill if you are not careless ;-)

you need a hose nipple w valve that fits in the oil drain thread and a clear hose to reach above waterline and connect to your oil pump.

At first fill the SD25 to the top with some old oil, then close, now you dive and exchange the oil screw with your hose. No oil will come out as no air to expand above the oil. Now you can open the filling cap, pump out the oil through the hose in water.

So you have, close the valve & fill with fresh oil to the top again, close, exchange screw w hose to original, do not forget to remove excessive oil.

Did it only a few times when beaching our catamaran was not possible. My first and last saildrives, next catamaran had shaft drives ;-)
blubaju is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 10:29   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Leopard 40

We have a 2017 Leopard with SD 25 saildrives and I was also concerned about the short interval for oil change recommended by Yanmar. I spoke to a Yanmar dealer at the boat show">Annapolis boat show in October and he couldn’t justify the short interval. He recommended seasonal [yearly] change as is normal for most saildrives, unless your oil starts looking dark or milky. Of course the partial changes won’t hurt anything.
imiloa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 16:48   #8

Boat: Grampian Discovery

Hello everyone,
sorry to hijack this thread but I just acquired new (used) sailboat with a Yanmar Engine and a SD25 sait drive. I can't figure out where to attach any sacrificial anode it. I'm convince I need one since I sail in salt water. Maybe I'm wrong. Can you shed any light on this ?
Also, is there a sacrificialt anode going into the Engine. On my previous Beta, the was one.
Thank you very much. Sorry again to have interrupted this thread.
Jean-François
racinejf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2019, 21:24   #9

Boat: Lagoon 380

I just do the partial changes every 50 hrs between beach/haul-out.
Old 05-06-2019, 03:05   #10

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

Quote:
Originally Posted by B4A View Post
Just to make it clear: I don't have any water ingress issue.

It's just routine oil change.
I understand; you don't need to go to the length I did, but to get most of the contaminants out I think you need to pump/refill more than twice.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 03:20   #11
B4A

You need a set of half moon anodes to go around the prop, then one anode going on top of the prop shaft.

Quote:
Originally Posted by racinejf View Post
Hello everyone,
sorry to hijack this thread but I just acquired new (used) sailboat with a Yanmar Engine and a SD25 sait drive. I can't figure out where to attach any sacrificial anode it. I'm convince I need one since I sail in salt water. Maybe I'm wrong. Can you shed any light on this ?
Also, is there a sacrificialt anode going into the Engine. On my previous Beta, the was one.
Thank you very much. Sorry again to have interrupted this thread.
Jean-François
Old 05-06-2019, 03:22   #12
B4A

Thanks Blubaju,

I think beaching the cat would be simpler.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blubaju View Post
There is a trick, but it involves diving and some preparation. As oil floats on water there is no spill if you are not careless ;-)

you need a hose nipple w valve that fits in the oil drain thread and a clear hose to reach above waterline and connect to your oil pump.

At first fill the SD25 to the top with some old oil, then close, now you dive and exchange the oil screw with your hose. No oil will come out as no air to expand above the oil. Now you can open the filling cap, pump out the oil through the hose in water.

So you have, close the valve & fill with fresh oil to the top again, close, exchange screw w hose to original, do not forget to remove excessive oil.

Did it only a few times when beaching our catamaran was not possible. My first and last saildrives, next catamaran had shaft drives ;-)
Old 05-06-2019, 03:25   #13
B4A

Thanks Imilioa,

every time I suck the oil, the color is good. But if Yanmar recommends these shorts intervals, there must be a reason other than selling you more oil (they're not in that business).

Also, not sure why their engineers didn't leave a 1cm canal to stick a tube in it and suck all the oil. Since they're not in the haul-out business, I guess it's just negligence.

Quote:
Originally Posted by imiloa View Post
We have a 2017 Leopard with SD 25 saildrives and I was also concerned about the short interval for oil change recommended by Yanmar. I spoke to a Yanmar dealer at the Annapolis boat show in October and he couldn’t justify the short interval. He recommended seasonal [yearly] change as is normal for most saildrives, unless your oil starts looking dark or milky. Of course the partial changes won’t hurt anything.
Old 05-06-2019, 07:06   #14

Boat: Morgan 384/ 1982

You do Understand that the sail drive is a Aluminum alloy not Stainless steel . ! They are not and will not last forever ! maybe 10-12 years.
stnick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2019, 08:04   #15
B4A

Quote:
Originally Posted by stnick View Post
You do Understand that the sail drive is a Aluminum alloy not Stainless steel . ! They are not and will not last forever ! maybe 10-12 years.

Sorry, what's your point?

Tags
oil, oil change, sail, yanmar