Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-06-2017, 20:42   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar Tach help needed

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkwatcher View Post
Thanks Bill, "carrying on" is what I've been doing so far. it's not something that has to be fixed, but it just really bothers me when things don't work right. I just have to fix it!
I hear you

As you don't know if it ever worked or when it stopped working correctly, is there anyone you know with a similar engine and who would let you swap the sender or the tach to ascertain if either is faulty.

I think the wiring harness is unlikely for the reasons that others have posted.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2017, 22:43   #17

Boat: Riva 48

I had the same issue with my tach, would read 400-2200, when the actual range was 1000-3400 on the 2GMF. Your pickup and connections are fine. In 90% of the cases the tach needs to be replaced.

I found a Faria 0-4000 rpm adjustable tach that fit nicely into the space (you have to enlarge it just a bit). Reads accurately. Mine is similar to this one below, except it has an hour meter as well:

FARIA Tach 4 Inch Black 4000 RPM Diesel Pulse Pickup Tachometer | eBay

Also check Amazon, they have plenty of similar models with Prime shipping. For example, https://www.amazon.com/KUS-Tachomete...7EW2Z1DGEFT7FF.

It would be ideal if instead of total hours they could make a model that has cumulative rpms as this should be pretty close to actual fuel consumption.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 14:27   #18

Boat: Beneteau, Oceanis 40

Hello,
If the belt from the engine to the alternator slips, the displayed revs/m are lower.
Regards, Vladis
Vladis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-06-2017, 14:46   #19

Boat: Hunter 30 G

Hey, where is that tack sensor on the 2gm, I've been looking, my manual doesn't say. But from reading it sounds like it's on the bell housing?
Old 22-06-2017, 16:55   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by 19thol View Post
Hey, where is that tack sensor on the 2gm, I've been looking, my manual doesn't say. But from reading it sounds like it's on the bell housing?
It is on the bell housing, near the top on the LHS (looking from the gearbox end).
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 22-06-2017, 16:57   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vladis View Post
Hello,
If the belt from the engine to the alternator slips, the displayed revs/m are lower.
Regards, Vladis
While true for tachs which are sensed from the alternator, the stock Yanmar GM series of engines have a flywheel sensor for the tach.
Old 23-06-2017, 01:17   #22

Boat: hunter 28, 1991, windswept

Try cleaning and or tightening the spade connectors on the fly wheel pickup, I have fixed many GM series tachometer this way, usually cycling the spade connections will correct the issue. Regards, Windswept marine services of Baltimore
windsweptms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 05:41   #23

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter

Thanks for all the help and suggestions guys!
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2017, 14:30   #24

Boat: 1983 31' Hunter

Problem solved! I installed today an alternator triggered tach https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1. It was an easy install, simple to calibrate with the help of a laser tach, and best of all, worked perfectly. Rather than pulling a new wire to run from the alternator to the "sender" post on the tach, I simply added an extension to the orange sensor wire going to the magnetic sensor after unplugging the sensor. I double checked it thru the entire range, verifying the engine rpms with the laser tach, PERFECT and once again, PROBLEM SOLVED! Thanks again everyone for your help and suggestions.
sharkwatcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2018, 06:48   #25

Boat: Mirage 33

Sharkwatcher, I have two questions - hoping you can help.

1) It looks like the Sierra 82302 tach is 3" in diameter. Was that a simple drop-in replacement in your Yanmar instrument panel? As far as I know, most 2GM and 3GM engines had 3 3/8" tachs.

2) Did you need to buy a pickup for your alternator and, if so, what did you get?

Thanks
troubadour_m33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar