Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-09-2020, 04:29   #16
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar Tach Reading Way Too High

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceS View Post
You said you cleaned the sensor? What with & did you remove the sensor to do it?
Cleaned the contacts? What contacts exactly? I believe it's simply a magnetic pulse & no contact what so ever.
Keep us informed please?
The wiring loom uses spade terminals which push onto the contacts/terminals of the sensor.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-09-2020, 00:43   #17

Boat: Island Packet 40

My understanding of these magnetic reluctance transducers is that they put out a sine wave signal the frequency of which is proportional to the number of teeth passing the transducer in a fixed unit of time.

The sine wave ifs generally passed through a Smidt trigger to condition the pulses into an electronic circuit which feeds a finite amounts of current into a resistor capacitor filter the voltage of which is dependent upon the balance between the quantems of current being fed in and that being drained out by the resister. The chip I'm familiar with is the Texas Instruments LM2917 frequency to voltage converter but I'm working with a pretty decrepit old memory so can't be certain.

Consequently a higher reading would tend to indicate more pulses getting to the readout or the resister going higher resistance or the capacitor lower capacitance or an out of adjustment volt meter.
Old 08-10-2020, 08:16   #18
CLOD

Boat: none

Well I noticed the other day the the tach reads 500+ rpm with the engine off. I haven't done any work troubleshooting the issue yet as I have other things more important to me to do. But I ran the engine yesterday and the rpms seemed to track being 500-600 high, ............... till it decided not to. After warming up and at idle the tach was reading around 500 rpm high, but the reading was surging (the engine wasn't and was just purring away). I think my tach has gone bad, which pisses me off as it is only 3 years old.
Old 17-10-2020, 05:06   #19
CLOD

Said a voodoo chant and it appears to work now. But since it now has a spell on it it goes crazy every once in a while.

So if you are reading this to fix your similar problem all i can suggest is a good witchdoctor.
Old 17-10-2020, 05:31   #20

Boat: Morgan Classic 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailorboy1 View Post
Here is the thing:
- the tach was working fine
- due to a leak above the sensor it was shorting and reading low
- fixed the leak, clean the sensor contacts, put new spade connectors on the wires
- now it reads high

I am resistant to messing with unscrewing and missing with sensor clearance till last resort.
You don't say what was leaking but I'm betting it was water and not oil. If so, I'd say the sender is internally contaminated; it may eventually dry out and work ok, but if it was salt water contamination, the sender probably won't last long.

Automotive sensors that run off the flywheel often come with a stick-on paper 'spacer' that sets the proper clearance; you just install it to lightly contact the designated surface, and when running the spacer gets knocked away by the rotation of the flywheel.
jimbunyard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 06:05   #21

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Said a voodoo chant and it appears to work now. But since it now has a spell on it it goes crazy every once in a while.

So if you are reading this to fix your similar problem all i can suggest is a good witchdoctor.

You’re going to need some chickens onboard to maintain the efficacy of your voodoo enchantments.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-10-2020, 13:29   #22
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
You’re going to need some chickens onboard to maintain the efficacy of your voodoo enchantments.
And lots of rum
Old 17-10-2020, 13:31   #23
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbunyard View Post
You don't say what was leaking but I'm betting it was water and not oil. If so, I'd say the sender is internally contaminated; it may eventually dry out and work ok, but if it was salt water contamination, the sender probably won't last
Been working 3 years. So i would I would bet you are wrong.
Old 18-10-2020, 10:43   #24

You mean 3 years after the leak? Doesn't seem to be working so well now, or is one of us chronologically challenged here?

Was the leak oil or water?
Old 18-10-2020, 11:38   #25
CLOD

I am so not challenged that i am not responding to your question looking for fuel to argue.
Old 18-10-2020, 16:01   #26

Then I guess the whole post is meaningless; i.e. you're not really looking for an answer to your 'problem', if there ever was one to begin with.
Old 18-10-2020, 16:59   #27
CLOD

Nope, i fixed it.
Old 18-10-2020, 17:12   #28
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Quote:
Nope, i fixed it.
Just to be clear, did you fix it solely with at the voodoo chant?

And have you fixed the " it goes crazy every once in a while"?

If so, please tell how as it will be very helpful for others!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2020, 04:39   #29
CLOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Just to be clear, did you fix it solely with at the voodoo chant?

And have you fixed the " it goes crazy every once in a while"?

If so, please tell how as it will be very helpful for others!
Yes and yes.

It took a second voodoo chant to calm the crazies down. Pretty much like medicine where you need a second drug to counter the first.

Tags
yanmar