Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Engines and Propulsion Systems
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2020, 12:31   #31

Boat: Yamaha 33
Re: Yanmar water separator filter 4230-0000

I'll have to find the reference, but the flow at 2 micron IS restricted and causes early failure of the diaphragm in the lift pump. I don't remember if I found it in the Yanmar service manual or elsewhere, but it has been mentioned by Maine Sail. I will dig it up, otherwise just it's just gossip.

I had a fuel delivery issue last year and researched it pretty thoroughly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by OloteleMtn View Post
MerMike, can you explain your info please? As long as flow is not restricted, what would the issue be?
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 14:12   #32

Boat: CAL-2 30'

I also have the Yanmar filter body (newer version) and my post #19 stated I was using the R20P. The OP basically ignored my post. My Yanmar dealer recommended this 30 micron filter for my 3YM20, as it is half the price of the Yanmar replacement.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 15:40   #33
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft

Quote:
Originally Posted by davenrino View Post
I also have the Yanmar filter body (newer version) and my post #19 stated I was using the R20P. The OP basically ignored my post. My Yanmar dealer recommended this 30 micron filter for my 3YM20, as it is half the price of the Yanmar replacement.
Don't feel too badly about it mate ( buddy in American ), happens a lot, easy to miss the pearls

Wow you got a good Yanmar dealer. Lucky you didn't publish his dealership or the Yakuza would be after him. Surprised the R20P as much as 1/2 the price of the Yanmar part, most of the Yanmar equivalents I find are 1/4 of the Yanmar price or even less
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 17:02   #34

Boat: CAL-2 30'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compass790 View Post
Don't feel too badly about it mate ( buddy in American ), happens a lot, easy to miss the pearls

Wow you got a good Yanmar dealer. Lucky you didn't publish his dealership or the Yakuza would be after him. Surprised the R20P as much as 1/2 the price of the Yanmar part, most of the Yanmar equivalents I find are 1/4 of the Yanmar price or even less

Ha...thanks for the translation, but I already speak Kiwi. I used to spend a lot of time both in New Zealand and Australia. The dealer did my first 50 hr and the Yanmar filter was $55. Living in Hawaii, I buy a lot from the internet with free shipping due to price and/or availability. The dealer was surprised at the price I paid for an OEM maintenance spares kit, mostly due to what Yanmar charges to ship here.
davenrino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 21:43   #35

Boat: Lancer 36

I am skeptical about the claim that a smaller micron filter will damage the lift pump; i will review my service manual, but i have not heard of this before, and i have a lot of time in engine rooms. Dirty fuel is a problem, not excessively clean fuel, as long as enough gets where it needs to.
OloteleMtn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 22:18   #36

A restriction in the suction line will probably cause problems but I’d much rather have a 2 micron primary with larger element or 2 smaller 2 micron filters in Parallel and a vacuum gauge.
As A64pilot pointed out earlier, common rail engines will simply not tolerate any sort of dirty or wet fuel and even using 2 micron elements is not a total guarantee that larger particles will be stopped.
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 22:37   #37

Maybe the advice is engine specific; I see no advisement in the Yanmar 2QM20 over or service manuals regarding fine micron primary filters damaging the lift/feed pump. A restriction in the primary filter or supply line could certainly cause an issue with the longevity of the diaphram in the pump. If the diaphram goes bad on the Yanmar, a new pump is needed, as the diaphram is not sold as a serviceable part. When i have time, i will disassemble my old one and see if the diaphram can be McGyvered.
Old 21-05-2020, 23:00   #38

Quote:
Maybe the advice is engine specific; I see no advisement in the Yanmar 2QM20 over or service manuals regarding fine micron primary filters damaging the lift/feed pump. A restriction in the primary filter or supply line could certainly cause an issue with the longevity of the diaphram in the pump. If the diaphram goes bad on the Yanmar, a new pump is needed, as the diaphram is not sold as a serviceable part. When i have time, i will disassemble my old one and see if the diaphram can be McGyvered.

I’m not entirely sure about the 2QM but I recently stripped a 3GM30 pump and it’s not really possible. To get the diaphragm out, the pumping lever pivot pin has to be extracted and its crimped into the pump body. Then, the bad news is that it seems impossible to buy a new diaphragm. The trouble of fitting a made up diaphragm outweighs the cost of buying a new pump on ebay. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3822.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	201.1 KB
ID:	215504
skipperpete is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2020, 23:41   #39

That is what i figured when i needed to replace mine not long ago, but it will be worth seeing what is involved in the event i am on a passage and need to do it sometime.
Old 22-05-2020, 04:01   #40

Boat: Yamaha 33

Quote:
I am skeptical about the claim that a smaller micron filter will damage the lift pump; i will review my service manual, but i have not heard of this before, and i have a lot of time in engine rooms. Dirty fuel is a problem, not excessively clean fuel, as long as enough gets where it needs to.
This is not from Yanmar, but still worth perusing. The author makes reference to Yanmar specs and distributor information but doesn't link to them.

https://stevedmarineconsulting.com/p...10-30-microns/

In short: excessive vacuum, regardless of filter pore size, can be injurious to the lift pump. I imagine that if you have a vacuum gauge and regularly monitor it you will manage the risk.
MerMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2020, 12:06   #41

Actually, regular maintenance, i.e. changing filters and keeping fuel clean, will keep things working properly without paranoia and unnecessary gauges on our filter housings, for most of us. In short, i agree with the author of your link.
Old 27-05-2020, 00:07   #42

Boat: Cal 29-2

Quote:
It looked like you could order a new head assembly, or just the new pump kit and retrofit the old head....having disassembled them before, that makes sense to me. Good reference, as I need to order some parts for mine to repair my backup.
It does at first appear that the kit they sell is a retrofit but I'm now convinced it is the repair kit for the newer pumps; basic wear items. From what I've seen it doesn't come with the longer pump cylinder which is part of the head assy.

On the subject of lift pumps, I found the replacement cost comparable with a Facet cube-style electric pump and replaced mine with the 40163 model (about $65 at Pegasus Racing). This is similar to the low output pressure of the Yanmar/Mikuni pump which I'll keep as spare. Good dry lift ability (~40") too. No more worry about the diaphragm leaking externally or internally. and bleeding is simplified. Most all Westerbeke and Universal diesels came with Facet lift pumps. You choose a pump also on its de-energized flow characteristics. They can act as check valve, positive shutoff or free flow. This pump is UL Marine Listed. I installed a cover plate to the mounting hole.
Dalestr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water, yanmar