Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-05-2017, 07:21   #1

Boat: Pearson 10M
Yanmar Wiring

Hi all,

I have a Yanmar 3GM30F. There is a broken temp gauge installed already, but that is wired poorly and needs to be redone anyway. I see that the on the "C" type instrument panel shows a oil pressure gauge as well so when I replace the water temp gauge I will add an oil pressure gauge. I am a bit confused by the wiring diagram as to what I should connect both to for the sending unit and switched power. Looks like White/Blue for the cooling water and Yellow white for the oil pressure. What is unclear to me is that it appears that the sending units are called "switch" instead of sensor.

In either case what do I use for switched power?

http://www.yanmarmarine.com/theme/ya...nual-Multi.pdf

Thanks!
sagablu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 16:42   #2

Boat: FP Belize, 43' - Dot Dun
Re: Yanmar Wiring

AFAIK, the 3GM30 ships with pressure/temp switches to run the alarm buzzer/lights.
DotDun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 18:28   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
AFAIK, the 3GM30 ships with pressure/temp switches to run the alarm buzzer/lights.
Thank you. Are you saying that the sensors will not run a gauge also?
Old 23-05-2017, 18:32   #4

Boat: Norseman 430, Jabberwock

That would be my guess.
Have 3GM30Fs as well.
ggray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2017, 18:49   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sagablu View Post
Thank you. Are you saying that the sensors will not run a gauge also?
No, switches will not run sensors. You can change them to sensors, just be sure you understand the risks associated (matching the threads, stripping threads, etc.)
Old 24-05-2017, 06:13   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DotDun View Post
No, switches will not run sensors. You can change them to sensors, just be sure you understand the risks associated (matching the threads, stripping threads, etc.)
That makes sense. The only thing that is odd is that there is a water temp gauge in the boat already, however it is not working. There were a lot of the electronics not working when I bought the boat that I have corrected. Further, the Yanmar manual shows a panel that has a water temp and oil pressure gauge. So if it is correct that the sensors are actually just on-off for a buzzer and not a sending unit for the gauge, then Yanmar would have to had to fit these sensors differently depending on the panel? That seems odd but I guess anything is possible.

Anyone out there ever actually do this?
Old 24-05-2017, 06:32   #7

Boat: Island Packet 32 Keel/CB

My 3GM30F came with a temp and oil pressure switch sensors and warning lights. I added a temperature sensor and gauge to keep an eye on things. The temp sensor is installed in a T along with the original switch. It has been a long time back and I do not remember metric/english thread issues but obviously the Yanmar is metric.

Not sure how much you would get out of oil pressure. The sensor gets a basic test with each engine start. The OP switches are not expensive just install a new one every once and while (when you replace mixing elbows every 4/5 years).
Frankly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 06:56   #8

Quote:
That makes sense. The only thing that is odd is that there is a water temp gauge in the boat already, however it is not working. There were a lot of the electronics not working when I bought the boat that I have corrected. Further, the Yanmar manual shows a panel that has a water temp and oil pressure gauge. So if it is correct that the sensors are actually just on-off for a buzzer and not a sending unit for the gauge, then Yanmar would have to had to fit these sensors differently depending on the panel? That seems odd but I guess anything is possible.

Some have accomplished what you want. Use the Google search option here on CF. One hit:

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...its-37032.html

FWIW, searching thru the 3GM30 part catalog, I don't find a "C" panel option, but that doesn't mean it's not a correct part.
Old 24-05-2017, 07:02   #9

Boat: Endeavourcat Sailcat 44

Quote:

I have 3jh3ce's and added oil pressure and temperature sensors. It came with only switches for the idiot lights and buzzers. On mine the water temperature port had a plug in it for the sensor. The same is true for the oil pressure sensor. On mine the water temperature sensor is a special sender that has a particularly small sensor tip that must go through an equally small hole in the engine. The sensors have British Pipe Threads and are a bit hard to find in the aftermarket. Perhaps the ones for your engine will be different, but the only place I could find a water temperature sensor was Catalina Yachts. I got a generic oil pressure sensor that was made for Japanese cars as many of them use BPT threaded sensors. As I did not have the gauges on my panel I bought an nmea 2000 converter and fed the output to my MFD. Make sure the sensors you buy are resistance matched to your gauges. The only problem I has was with the oil pressure sensor/converter combination. It was too good. Unlike the analog gauge the electronic converter has no inertia. Given that the oil pump is a three lobe pump it actually puts out 3 pressure pulses per rotation. The sensor is accurate enough to read the instantaneous pressure instead of the average pressure, so my readings were all over the place until I added a capacitor across the leads to average it out. This is probably more information than you need but I thought I would pass it along.
Captain Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2017, 07:41   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
I have 3jh3ce's and added oil pressure and temperature sensors. It came with only switches for the idiot lights and buzzers. On mine the water temperature port had a plug in it for the sensor. The same is true for the oil pressure sensor. On mine the water temperature sensor is a special sender that has a particularly small sensor tip that must go through an equally small hole in the engine. The sensors have British Pipe Threads and are a bit hard to find in the aftermarket. Perhaps the ones for your engine will be different, but the only place I could find a water temperature sensor was Catalina Yachts. I got a generic oil pressure sensor that was made for Japanese cars as many of them use BPT threaded sensors. As I did not have the gauges on my panel I bought an nmea 2000 converter and fed the output to my MFD. Make sure the sensors you buy are resistance matched to your gauges. The only problem I has was with the oil pressure sensor/converter combination. It was too good. Unlike the analog gauge the electronic converter has no inertia. Given that the oil pump is a three lobe pump it actually puts out 3 pressure pulses per rotation. The sensor is accurate enough to read the instantaneous pressure instead of the average pressure, so my readings were all over the place until I added a capacitor across the leads to average it out. This is probably more information than you need but I thought I would pass it along.
Super helpful, that clears this up. Thanks!

Tags
wiring, yanmar