Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-09-2017, 18:09   #1

Yanmar ysb8 injection pump

Hello all, I am hoping some one may help with some info on my yanmar ysb8 injection pump. I currently have diesel to the injection Pump but no fuel to the injector. I unscrewed the high pressure supply line to the injector and zero fuel is coming from the pump. Is my pump finished or can it be rebuilt?
Thanks
Bill
bolin blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:32   #2

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: Yanmar ysb8 injection pump

Well sure it can be re-built. Just like that it stopped working? That is a little weird because that's not a regular failure mode. Some sort of warning maybe?
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2017, 19:50   #3

So we were out sailing in rough weather last weeekend lots of rolling with big wind and waves. I started the engine and ran it for about a half hour then it started to bog down a bit then normal for a min then bog down, I realized we were low on fuel so I turned the engine off. I refilled the diesel tank, primed the fuel primer ball and the engine started again... a minute later it died and wouldn't start. We sailed back to the dock and left the boat for the night. Monday I replaced the 2 filters racor and engine filter then Blead and restart the engine and it fired but my helper turned it off...not to start again. I removed the fuel lifting pump and the diaphram looks fine and I have a good pulsing stream of diesel to the injection pump but no fuel after the pump, I took the line off the injector and have zero fuel! Other than the injection pump is there something else that could be causing this issue?
Thanks
Old 07-09-2017, 09:22   #4

Turned out to be the o-ring in the injection pump fuel supply regulator was stuck due to the rubber breaking down. It was crumbling and mushy when I took it out.
Thanks for the help.
Old 07-09-2017, 17:54   #5
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Welcome aboard CF bolin blue, glad you worked out the problem.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
yanmar