Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2021, 20:58   #16
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Compass 790 , 7.9 metres or 26 ft
Re: Yanmar YSE 8 Won't start Cold

Quote:
Originally Posted by PincoyaBlue View Post
So a quick update and thank you to everyone's help so far!

The engine was smoking (white) and did seem to be getting alot worse before it stopped starting. I was seeing a fair amount of smoke, fuel and occasionally oil from the exhaust

I tried the compression leaver to check if it was the starter motor and still nothing.

Secondly I checked the spray pattern, as suggested and found the pattern to be weak looking and very linear. Not a spray pattern like the video above or in the service manual.

I have a habit of breaking things when trying to fix them so have decided to take it to a local( recommend) that will be able to take it apart and look at it for me. I am also going to bring along the engine fuel pump as I believe one of these must be the issue.

Hopefully this is the right thing to do..?!?

Looks like I'm going to be tied to the dock a little longer.... luckily Cambell River is full of interesting people!

Oh yeah good you are getting closer to the bullseye. The white smoke is a giveaway there. The injector is actually very simple & you can get new nozzles on Ebay for peanuts but if the local has a pop-tester he will be able to check it's pop-pressure for you.
You can get cheap 4-6 psi 12v pumps at any auto parts chain, I'd have a spare anyway if I was you.

I didnt think your problem would be electrical but it's a process of elimination. I'm gunna mention checking your tappets again as you may as well do it whilst you are stranded.
Beaut part of the world to be stranded in
Another thing worth checking is the oil pump clearances as that can be a weakness too. The YSM8 workshop manual has a better explanation of doing that. If the oil pressure warning buzzer is slow to go off thats a giveaway. I'm telling you this from experience. We are in lockdown here so I gotta lotta time to follow yr saga. Keep posting back please
Compass790 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 09:04   #17

So after taking the injector pump to the shop we found the nozzle was completely seized! After a new nozzle from Yanmar and a new o ring on the governor spring area that was also stuck, we are back up and running.

I decided to wait if the noise had gone before adjusting the tappets and it had, so I will wait until the season is over before pulling it appart more than I have to.

I do have more black oil/gunk coming out of the exhaust when I start up, I wonder if this could be due to an incorrect adjustment,?

Thank you again for all your advice, very glad to be back on the water!
PincoyaBlue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-09-2021, 11:08   #18
Marine Service Provider

Thanks fot update,
Good to hear it was only injector seized. Did they tell you why it seized? What I'm getting at is was there any rust? If so you need to check your deck fill cap o-ring, tank & filters for water.
Post a vid on start up smoke, if its only a bit at first & clears quickly its not much of a worry.
Its easy to check tappets but if it starts quick you can leave till end of seaon as I imagine the temps are plummeting there as we write.
Old 27-09-2021, 09:40   #19

Quote:
So after taking the injector pump to the shop we found the nozzle was completely seized! After a new nozzle from Yanmar and a new o ring on the governor spring area that was also stuck, we are back up and running.

I decided to wait if the noise had gone before adjusting the tappets and it had, so I will wait until the season is over before pulling it appart more than I have to.

I do have more black oil/gunk coming out of the exhaust when I start up, I wonder if this could be due to an incorrect adjustment,?

Welcome to this forum. I have a ysb8 circa 1978 in my Mirage 27. I had issues with hard starting and through advice and direction, I have fixed my issues with starting. I did check the valve clearance and although it sounds like a big job, its not. After I set them wrong and had to redo, it takes me about 15 minutes now. Just make sure you have 2 gaskets for the cover so when you screw up the first one, you dont have to wait. Also a tube of gasket maker was my best friend.

Wotname is a great source, so is compas 790. Their knowledge is what got me through it all and now the reliablilty makes my admiral so much happier.

I have the manuals for the yse 8 & 12 I can send you if they are not on the forum library. PM me if you need them. Biggest thing, dont give up on these iron beasts, they are solid and just a little maintenance they will outlast you.
Old 27-09-2021, 09:45   #20

Quote:

I forgot to add that I used several cans of seafoam as my first thought was old fuel. I dont use much so present fuel may be at least a year old.. Dont know if that helped ir not but engine does seem to work smoother so it is now a must when I add fuel.
Old 17-10-2021, 17:04   #21

I have checked with as friend and he believes the start up all seems to be "normal". As for why the pump seized I'm not 100% sure, there doesn't seem to be water in the fuel and no water is leaking in the cap - I was using a carb cleaning additive in the fuel, perhaps that might have been the cause?
Old 17-10-2021, 17:06   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Halifax Sailor View Post
Welcome to this forum. I have a ysb8 circa 1978 in my Mirage 27. I had issues with hard starting and through advice and direction, I have fixed my issues with starting. I did check the valve clearance and although it sounds like a big job, its not. After I set them wrong and had to redo, it takes me about 15 minutes now. Just make sure you have 2 gaskets for the cover so when you screw up the first one, you dont have to wait. Also a tube of gasket maker was my best friend.

Wotname is a great source, so is compas 790. Their knowledge is what got me through it all and now the reliablilty makes my admiral so much happier.

I have the manuals for the yse 8 & 12 I can send you if they are not on the forum library. PM me if you need them. Biggest thing, dont give up on these iron beasts, they are solid and just a little maintenance they will outlast you.
Thank you for this advice, I will definitely put checking the clearance on the "to do" list.
All the best
Old 17-10-2021, 17:45   #23
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
I have checked with as friend and he believes the start up all seems to be "normal". As for why the pump seized I'm not 100% sure, there doesn't seem to be water in the fuel and no water is leaking in the cap - I was using a carb cleaning additive in the fuel, perhaps that might have been the cause?
Carb cleaning additive in a diesel!!!!!!!!!!! That doesnt sound like a good idea to me. Injectors & injector pumps require some lubricity & you would be reducing lubricity doing that. Could well have caused yr injector to seize but thats just a guess. I wouldnt do that any more & if you still have fuel polluted with that I'd add a bit of 2 stroke oil to the diesel. Some people use a bit of ATF.

Tags
yanmar