Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-03-2022, 07:07   #1

Boat: 1973 SHE 32C
Yanmar YSE12 Governor adjustment

Hi,
I’m trying to find a post off this forum which I found two years ago which helped me resolve my Yanmar YSE12 not electric starting when warm (worked ok by hand cranking) - it turned out to be the Governor adjustment. One I reset it would restart under all conditions.

I used a brilliant step-by-step guide on how to reset the Govenor including clear pictures off this forum but I cannot find the link, does this ring any bells ??

Any help in finding the post appreciated as I think I need to reset again on launching.

Many thanks.
Eebygumlad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 11:13   #2
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Re: Yanmar YSE12 Governor adjustment

I have written here on a couple of occasions on the adjustment of the governor arm at the injection pump of the YSE.

I'm short on time right now and can't find the posts quickly but I'll have a deeper search for my posts later on today and get back here. Hopefully it will be the information you were after.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-03-2022, 11:49   #3

Boat: Reinke S10 & Raven 26
Send a message via Skype™ to grantmc

Here's a post from Yanmar YSE 8 Won't start Cold that might be the one you need: https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...ld-255607.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Welcome aboard PincoyaBlue. Sorry to hear you have troubles with your YSE but hang in there, most likely it is fixable once you isolate the actual problem.

It could well be the governor adjustment as this is critical for this injector pump and it does require adjustment occasionally when the engine becomes hard to start. It is easy adjustment to make once you know how but it is also very easy to stuff it up if you don't follow the instructions to the letter.

I'm time short ATM but will post more later today / tonight.

If you log on before then, perhaps you could answer the following question. What fuel pump was getting hot? Was it the injector pump or the lift pump? I can't see why either should get hot and neither should have a return line.

Also it is easy to isolate any electrical starting issue if you do the following. Set everything up for starting then decompress the engine with the decompression lever, spin the engine over using the starter motor for a few seconds until it spinning over smartly then release the decompression lever while keeping the starter motor engaged. If the engine starts promptly using this method but doesn't start when using the starter motor alone, then you have an electrical issue in the starting circuit (flat battery, poor wiring, corrosion, weak starter motor etc).

If it remains hard to start when using the decompression lever as a starting aid, then you will need to look elsewhere (fuel / compression etc).

If you get a chance, try the above to isolate the fault to either electrical or otherwise.

More later...
Old 30-03-2022, 05:40   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Eebygumlad
Was this the thread you were looking for -
https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...or-221204.html
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-03-2022, 07:40   #5

From memory the adjustment procedure is listed and described in the workshop manual and the procedure works well if followed according to the manual.
Good luck.
Niall leslie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2022, 10:36   #6

Boat: 1973 SHE 32C

I’ve finally found the post from the original user on the YBW forum this week.

Following these instructions at the start of last season, instantly resolved my starting issues (engine would never electric start when warm, only by hand cranking. Would electric start when cold but require a lot of cranking on both batteries).

I’ve included a copy of the instructions below in case anybody has similar issues.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	381AEC9C-92A0-4854-B7A1-5192EB8D56CE.jpg
Views:	257
Size:	282.1 KB
ID:	255515  
Eebygumlad is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
men, yanmar