Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2009, 12:34   #1

Boat: 30ft-Acen
yanmar yse8 rebuild

well my boat project got neglected for a fue mounts, but ive finly found somone with intrest and dedacation enough to rebuild my yse8, now the problem is getting the beast out of the boat, im concidering using the boats boom to lift and swing the moter on to the piere. cant think of any other whay to do it, with out having to hire a crane ($500/hr)
fore some reson my basic manual is not here, but last time i checked the moter is around 270lbs. any ideas or sugjustions?
ShadowRWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 12:57   #2
jkd

Shadow,

I don't know that lifting that engine with your boom is a great idea. The gooseneck will probably not handle the load. Same with topping lift, forestay.
How about stripping the engine down to smaller managable peices before comming off the boat? Pull the head and all accesories etc.
Maybe lay some boards and slide it to the dock?

Side question; Do you know how long has that boat been in Guam?

John
jkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 13:08   #3

i know the boats been here for atleast 8 years, figure it was raced here then sold off, only know of 2 owners before me, thats as far as the marina knows. rekords on this boat jump years. i could try removing parts but since its a horazontle its hard to get much off of it. i can maby get it to around 200lbs but thats still a monster to move
Old 13-02-2009, 13:40   #4
jkd

Understand, but even if you ran halyards to the end of the boom, another to the bow to stabilize the mast and found a way to stabilize the gooseneck you are still going to see a pretty good forward load on the mast at the gooseneck area.

When you get the engine un-bolted you should be able to roll it some to access parts to remove.

What year mfg. on the boat?
Old 13-02-2009, 14:26   #5

the boats a 1973 custom build outa japan, raced in the mid 80s rekords disaper till it gets to guam, and catches up with past 3 owners. im the only one who hase atempted to finde the boats history, i know it raced back in the day.

maby i could roll it still hard to do, if i can get the moter less than 200lbs i can probobly get somebig guys frome work to walk it out but i dont know.
Old 13-02-2009, 15:03   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
An uplifting experience

It would help us help you if we knew more about your boat. Size, type of rig, material of boom and mast and so on.

In general, it is a common practice to hoist engines out using on-board gear. Typically one uses a halyard or topping lift secured to the boom at the lifting point, and then use a handy-billy to do the actual hoisting. Unless yours is a fairly small boat, the rig shouldn't worry too much about a 270 lbs dead lift. If you can't swing the motor clear of the companionway, often a plank is used to slide it into the cockpit where it is more easily grappled with.

Good luck with your project

Jim and Ann s/vInsatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 15:22   #7

its a 30ft, fiber glas, sloop rig. theres links in my old posts to pictures. alumanum mast and boom
Old 13-02-2009, 15:31   #8

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar
Shadow,

If it is a masthead rig, and not a wet-noodle stick, I'd think that it would be fine. The forestay will not be overstressed with that sort of loading, and the use of the topping lift or halyard to keep bending loads off the boom should avoid any problems there.

Again, good luck!

Jim and Ann s/v Insatiable II
Jim Cate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 16:45   #9
jkd

Shadow,

How old is your standing rigging? I see you do have a mast head rig, I thought it was fractional due to being old race boat. I suppose you could try hanging a couple of guys on the boom to verify it will hold the weight. I just would hate to see the engine drop in the drink. If the halyards or wire is old I would urge caution.
Any fork lifts nearby?

I ask about the age of the boat as I was in Guam and doing some fore deck work on a Choy Lee for beer can racing in '78 '79 and remember another boater had just brought in a hot boat out of Japan that was mopping up the locals and your boat has similar lines, but that was a lot of years and a lot of beers ago.

Good luck,

John
Old 13-02-2009, 18:28   #10

ahhh very well ould be, its been passd around us military guys a bit, il poke around its past a bit, its gone by coral head recently due to the retard of a owner beeching him self on a reef, its reol name is acen.

i just talked to my grandfather who hase owned a hand full of boats, and worked on moters his entire life, he gave me the idea of making a wood rig to lift this out. im going to see how meny big guys i can get to help one weekend, hmmm now i need beer to lure them in....
Old 13-02-2009, 18:50   #11

Boat: "Piscator"
Hoist away with the boom. 30 ft masthead sloop probably has standing rigging with tensile strength of at least 5000 lbs, and the forestay will see somewhere around 270 lbs - I expect it can handle it, unless your rigging is so bad you wouldn't take it sailing. There will be a compression load on the mast, but nothing like there is when you sail, or even just tension the rig. Of course back up the topping lift with a halyard (which is probably at least 5/16 line with a breaking strength in the thousands of lbs. People use the boom to lift their motors all the time, unless it is much heavier than your little Yanmar; your rig will see more load when sailing than when lifting that iron. It will probably be easier to take it apart after it is out of the boat than to try to take it apart in the boat - why would you take it apart in the boat when you have a crane, otherwise known as your rig, ready and waiting, unless you have to take it apart to squeeze it through a tight space on the way out?

In case you need more convincing, consider the technique used to free a grounded boat - swing the boom out with several crew members (or a water-filled dingy) on the end to heel the boat and reduce the draft. Two average crew weigh more than your Yanmar.

And yes, I speak from personal experience; I have personally used the rig on a Ericson 27 to remove and install the motor, a two cylinder Yanmar.
Old 13-02-2009, 20:09   #12

sounds good il grab one of the fat asses frome work and have them sit on the rig. i reoly dont want to tweek my mast or boom. they are new 3 or 4 years back, standing rigging is beefed up as well, wire is a lot thiker than needed, and a cuple of the mounts for the rigging look beefed up, or just bigger becuse the owner sucked fabercating with glas
Old 13-02-2009, 20:16   #13

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
I don't think those engines weigh more than a few hundred pounds. If you used your main halyard as a topping lift and had preventer's to control the boom, there would be no problem. Then use a come-along or block and tackle to lift the engine out. The gooseneck by the way is not taking the brunt of the load, the end of the boom is.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 20:39   #14
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
If you can't or don't want to trust the boom....Is there a travelift nearby?

I use them all the time to pull engines. Disconnect the strap, bring the end of the blocks together/shackle and hang chainfall from there...

You may need to slide the engine forward to get under the hatch opening.

BTW before you get into this...have you checked if parts are available?
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2009, 23:59   #15

its a yanmar, parts are ezey to find even thos its anchent
pluss im on a submarine tender lol if i need something i can alwase get it made in somones free time.

im probobly going to make a rig that will add suport to the boom, and use a chain fall to lift the moter out, the moter is directlu under the hatch, may need to slide a bit in to the cabin but thats it, its ezey to move.

biggest problem will be moring so that i can get the moter to the pire, the pire is not made for you to be mored along side im going to have to get evrey bumper i can finde (i have a lot!) it should work.... if not il just have a huge hole in the bottom of the boat lol.

probobly borrow some tested lifting straps frome the ship, and a 1 toun chain fall.

o. i did a big cleeningtoday, bottom paint is defonitly done for, i look like a reef at the watter line, evil barnicul colonies have grone fast, its time to strip and re paint, i cant keep up with these lil monsters

Tags
rebuild, yanmar