Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-06-2019, 10:12   #16

Boat: Seafarer36c
Re: 1981 John Spencer Advise.

That's a cool boat but way too expensive. You would really have to jump on that repair around the rudder to float that boat in a month.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 12:22   #17
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

$35,000, NO WAY. Would take $35,000 for my ready to go, super well equipped, ready to leave on a long term cruise, Pearson 35. There's a ton of ready to sail boats out there for less than they are asking.
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 14:47   #18

Boat: Volkscruiser

Probably for the best that you are backing out of the deal. My other thought was did you check out the prices for docking and insuring a 52 foot yacht? It might surprise you.
There was a Spencer 45 last year here in Queensland that the guy could not even get $6000 for. Not sure what happened to it in the end?
Cheers
Fore and Aft is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 15:40   #19

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fore and Aft View Post
Probably for the best that you are backing out of the deal. My other thought was did you check out the prices for docking and insuring a 52 foot yacht? It might surprise you.

There was a Spencer 45 last year here in Queensland that the guy could not even get $6000 for. Not sure what happened to it in the end?

Cheers

I have a Spencer 45 next to me here in South Australia that the new towner paid $4K for. Now he needs to get it to Queensland somehow. It is no way up to the journey and the transport will easily cost three times what he paid for it.
Old 18-06-2019, 15:48   #20

Boat: Edlin 19mt Cruising Ketch.

Hi there. First timer on this blog. I may be able to help with info on the repairs you are undertaking as I have built Spencer boats in the past. Can you give me the construction of the vessel. ie, tripple diagonal planking on timber stringers, etc etc. Bit hard to see from the photos
Bellissima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 16:32   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bellissima View Post
Hi there. First timer on this blog. I may be able to help with info on the repairs you are undertaking as I have built Spencer boats in the past. Can you give me the construction of the vessel. ie, tripple diagonal planking on timber stringers, etc etc. Bit hard to see from the photos

Im not sure what you mean, thats why im backing out. I kind of thought a little drive and enthusiasm would get the project done but turns out it just would take lots and lots more money then im willing to spend. money that could be spent on a Catalina and id be sailing immediately.
Cmechilln is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 19:02   #22

Boat: Ta Chiao 56

Yep, and plenty of Catalina's in the same area that are on the water, still being sailed, and have many years of sailing ahead of them. Hell, you can have mine for a lot less than 35K! Actually, for that money you could buy a nice Cat 30 and pay slip fees and insurance for several years.
Brewgyver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-06-2019, 22:16   #23

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

Cmechilln

I'm with everyone else here: that boat requires experts to fix and it would take them a lot, lot longer than you envisage. Don't end up with a broken dream: stick to something that requires a bit of paint and some cosmetics.
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-06-2019, 06:53   #24

Dear Chris,

No, I did not look into the purchase of that boat. From your pics, I can see an inordinately huge hull repair project, and that's just my initial view. I'm also seeing thru-hulls that need to be replaced - price them - and all the associated seacocks and hoses, which, from the length of time that boat has been on the hard, will ALL need to be replaced. And that's just one element to ensure that boat will float.

As Fore and Aft says, the engine is old. Does it even start? I'm sensing "rebuild", if it's not already toast. Then, there's also the stuffing box (another item that will ensure the boat will float) and the state of the shaft and cutlass bearing. The prop looks horrid.

<Sigh> From there, the rig is in the boat. On the hard. How long has it been that way? How old is the mast? How old is the standing rigging? Are there any sails that would come with the boat? What state are they in?

Finally, have you ever sailed a 52' boat? It's rather large. This is just my assumption, but just wondering if you might be trying to get maximum size for minimum budget...?

Anyway, sorry to be such a wet blanket. Here's something you might consider for $35,000 USD. You'd just have to go to Mexico to pick it up.

https://www.yachtworld.com/boats/199...dard%20listing

Fair winds,
LittleWing
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-06-2019, 12:55   #25

Boat: hunter 27, hunter 41

That is a donated boat. Sails, rigging, electronics, electrical, fabrics, wood, epoxy, misc. You could easily spend 60k doing everything yourself and no surprises, likely all tankage is bad. I think 10k would buy that boat and it would still be a risk. If you are young and strong, maybe.. do the engines turn? Have you looked at the dipstick?
dakno is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
enc