Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2014, 08:12   #1

Boat: C&C Newport 41
2 monos and a few 2*12s = cat

I BOUGHT a boat.

Technically I bought a 2nd newport 41(mostly for the sail inventory) and am almost drunk with excitement over how many options I have to move the project forward.

The hull has been stripped of all interior fixtures and prepared for refit.

All cabinets, electrical systems, and plumbing systems have been removed.

The deck has been stripped of paint and repaired in preparation for new paint.

Options 1. Engage the USCG and build her out according to charter specs. Could sell her or use her for day charters off PIER 39 / bareboat charter her.

Option 2. go SUPER light weight and make embrace the racer half of her cruiser / racer design.

Option 3. go ultra comfy with a big berth, head and galley with a great salon and nice modern comforts.

I am already talking to my wood resources about teak and mahogany so I have the info oready when i debate the idea of minimal wood and gelcoating everything.

Few things I am already decided on:
1. big tankage for both fuel and water
2. Divinycell & glass for the sole and bulkheads.
3. moving the motor into the transom with a saildrive (most likely)
4. bronze ports if I dont go down the ultra light path (because I have a ton of them that I currently have no use for)

Throw some ideas at me...I'd love to hear what ya'll think.

-steve
Attached Images

ssanzone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 08:28   #2

Re: 2 monos and a few 2*12s = cat

Wow! You don't piss around when you start a boat project do you? Lovely lines on those C&C designs from that era.......good luck, well see ya in a few years!
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 08:37   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert sailor View Post
Wow! You don't piss around when you start a boat project do you? Lovely lines on those C&C designs from that era.......good luck, well see ya in a few years!
The 1st Newport is a few years in the making and close enough that I can think about how she will look back in the water.

This one will go a lot faster as the slow refit work (wiring and plumbing and tanks and not wrecking the good parts in the process wont be issues with this one.

I agree about the lines and sailability of these C&Cs.

So... see ya on a year or 2 instead of 2-4. :/

-steve
Old 18-11-2014, 08:51   #4

Boat: Heritage West Indies 36

How are the structural components? Stringers? Bulkheads? I mean, you might as well start there and then you'll have a better idea of the space you've got available. Personally, since it's already stripped out i'd go for something simple and make her into a super-lightweight racer with minimal stuff down below. I presume your other one is already pretty comfy?
DefinitelyMe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 08:55   #5

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

If it were me I'd move the engine fwd, over the keel and build a settee or table over it. That would do far more for performance and ease of access rather than aft

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2014, 09:06   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by DefinitelyMe View Post
How are the structural components? Stringers? Bulkheads? I mean, you might as well start there and then you'll have a better idea of the space you've got available. Personally, since it's already stripped out i'd go for something simple and make her into a super-lightweight racer with minimal stuff down below. I presume your other one is already pretty comfy?
Structurally she is sound and I am leaning the the same direction but am admittedly mindful of her appeal when it comes time to sell her. If I were to go down the racer path, I would load her up with over under bunks for crew and a bench style settee and bigger nav station below deck and rig switching between crew and single handing.

Night Swimmer, my original newport, is much more traditional with a balance between cruising and racing with all mahogany and teak and attention to every detail. She is being refit for single / short handed long term cruising.

-steve
Old 18-11-2014, 09:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailmonkey View Post
If it were me I'd move the engine fwd, over the keel and build a settee or table over it. That would do far more for performance and ease of access rather than aft

That's brilliant!

Any complexities to bear in mind while putting in a longer shaft?

-steve
Old 18-11-2014, 09:15   #8

2 monos and a few 2*12s = cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssanzone View Post
That's brilliant!

Any complexities to bear in mind while putting in a longer shaft?

-steve

Shaft whip comes to mind.....easily remedied with a python drive or similar and some pillow blocks on the long shaft section

Old 18-11-2014, 09:36   #9

Is there such a thing as a front and rear shaft for a boat they way there are front and rear torque converters in a 4*4 truck? I'll need to do more technical calculations but I am wondering if I can get a suitable shaft angle with just a python.

This is an awesome idea and I am sure there is a workable solution (especially as I dont know how big of an 'issue' it is to begin with).
Old 18-11-2014, 09:55   #10

Long shafted boats I've had the pleasure of working on used a thrust bearing/ cv joint on the tail shaft, followed by a long hollow shaft with two or more pillow blocks supporting it, all coupled to the engine with a u-joint. It adds complexity, but puts the weight where it needs to be as well as removing thrust from the engine and transferring it directly to the hull.

Old 18-11-2014, 10:07   #11

Done and done.

I cant find many 'racing boats' to use as comps. Much of a market? Specific features that are deal for a 'true racer'?

-steve
Old 18-11-2014, 13:26   #12

I really like the central engine idea. Rather than using the existing shaft log you'd have the option of using a sail drive instead, just aft of the keel.
Old 18-11-2014, 22:23   #13

Quote:
I really like the central engine idea. Rather than using the existing shaft log you'd have the option of using a sail drive instead, just aft of the keel.
Just aft of the keel would be at the foot of the companionway stairs. Moving it center and forward would put it in the deepest part of the bilge and result the least impact to the cabin.

I was settling in on a light weight racer but even getting her down to minimal weight she would still be in the 8-9 tons range and comparable boats are closer to 6 tons.

-steve
Old 19-11-2014, 07:12   #14

Having it stripped out like this though you have the ability to completely re-design the boat around the ratings in order to make it very competitive indeed. It might not be the fastest boat out there outright but you should be able to make it rate really well!
Old 19-11-2014, 07:29   #15

Quote:
Having it stripped out like this though you have the ability to completely re-design the boat around the ratings in order to make it very competitive indeed. It might not be the fastest boat out there outright but you should be able to make it rate really well!
Exactly what I was thinking until I realized many 40' racers are in the 12k weight and, even stripped, I cant get close to that (6k in the keel alone).

This is largely a flip boat as I will be heading south in the original boat within 6-12 months of estimated finish of the new boat (will sell the new one when I leave) so I am also trying to be mindful or what buyers are buying these days.

-steve