Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-03-2024, 02:09   #1

Boat: Tur 84, 28 ft
2 years on the hard - now what?

Hi there,

Due to some life circumstances I had to skip launching my 1975 Tur 84 (28ft) boat last season (2023). Prior to that I had two fantastic seasons in the Baltics (Denmark, Sweden & Norway) as a novice boat owner, learning the ins-and-outs of sailing, boat- and engine maintenance, etc.

I'm hoping to be able to sail again for a few months this season. My question is, are there any parts of the boat that deteriorate while standing on land that I should pay particular attention to before launching? The boat was covered in a tarp, engine and all water systems winterised, mast&furling stored separately in a shed, stays stored coiled up in boat, so instinctively I'm thinking more of parts that would need lubrication generally (i.e. impeller, other engine parts). I plan on changing the oil and the impeller before launch, anything else I should worry about (i.e. thru hulls, chainplates, electrics etc.)?

Engine is an original Volvo Penta MD6A, in case it's relevant.

Thanks in advance!
pjbori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 02:23   #2

Boat: X442
Re: 2 years on the hard - now what?

Nothing special in addition to the usual items (some of which you mention) needs to be taken into account just because of the 2 year break. As per personal experience. In fact, the way you stored the boat + equipment probably has resulted in less wear and tear than a good season of use would have.
HeinSdL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 03:40   #3

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/tur-84/

What about a barrier coat and anti-fouling?
coopec43 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 04:12   #4
running down a dream

Boat: cape dory 30 MKII
Send a message via Yahoo to gonesail

life hit me in the head with a few bricks last year. good luck with your launch.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:07   #5

Boat: Columbia 36

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Depending on what kind of paint is on there now it probably needs to be renewed, at least another coat rolled on. Barrier coat, if present, should not be affected by longer than normal storage.
capt jgw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 05:10   #6

Boat: Finnsailer 38

The fuel for the engine has been sitting for awhile. Two-year-old diesel is probably OK, but I would strongly consider adding fuel treatment and filling the tank with as much new fuel as possible. How were the batteries stored? If they haven't been charged periodically they are likely to be dead and will have to be replaced.
Old 03-03-2024, 05:58   #7
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Beneteau 432, C&C Landfall 42, Roberts Offshore 38

Yep, I think the engine should be your prime concern. Certainly an oil and impellor change. Check coolant. Would also try to start it before launching, which means checking the batteries, etc.
For sure, check the fuel, filters, etc, change as needed. As above, consider adding a fuel treatment to the tank.
Check stuffing box for dried out stuffing material.
Don't forget to check the transmission oil, cables, etc.

Volvo make exceptionally sturdy diesel engines, so despite the time spent in storage, it should start. If you can hand crank it a few times, that should let you know it is still turning.

Finally, the water impellor is likely to be dried up, so I'd replace that.

Check boat for rodent droppings, etc, as critturs like these dark places.
MicHughV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 14:53   #8

I can make a couple of generic engine suggestions that might help. If this engine has a CAV DPA injector pump there’s a chance that the fuel in the pump has gummed up the plungers ( the little pellets that are such a close fit that the manual advises against removing them) or the metering valve and speed control. No big deal , the engine might not start but at least it won’t go overspeed with that pump.
Roll the engine over a couple of full rotations by hand, I guess you can just push the flywheel manually. Definitely a new impeller, it will have taken a set by now and only a couple of blades will work. If it all turns ok, spin it with the starter but wait till you have oil pressure before releasing the stop or the decompressor levers….don’t let it start “lube oil dry” …but avoid overcranking with the seacock open, that can fill the exhaust with seawater.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 15:03   #9

have the batteries been sitting for 2 years? on a charger or off? they may be a concern.
smac999 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2024, 15:58   #10

Was the motor winterized? Perhaps CLR flush wil be needed to get the gunk and rust bits out lf the raw water jackets and nooks and crannies. Had MD5A in my first boat which been sitting at least 3 years prior to me getting the boat. Got 4 good seasons out of it but due to the lack of proper maintenance (my fault) gonked out on me during the Spring prep for the 5th season. Took it out and slapped 9.9hp Evinrude on the transom. Was going to DIY fix the MD5A with the help of the diesel mechanic buddy but the parts and shop work would've made that motor too expensive relative to the condition of the boat.

Advice of that mechanic friend, which still holds true, was - "those old MD Volvos are not worth it to be overhauled".
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2024, 02:07   #11

Boat: Tur 84, 28 ft

Thanks everybody for the helpful comments. The bottom paint was in a good condition last time I hauled out, so I will just add one or two layers of antifouling. Batteries were stored properly and recharged periodically.

To summarise your suggestions (for myself and for any potential future readers who might have the same question):
- Oil change
- Impeller change
- Check fuel filters and replace if necessary
- Check transmission oil, cables, etc.
- Add fuel treatment to diesel (it has been sitting in the tank fully filled) or empty tank and refill entirely
- Check stuffing box for dried out stuffing material
- Potentially a CLR flush to get gunk and rust bits out of raw water intake
pjbori is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
on the hard