Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2024, 02:06   #1

Boat: Fiart Marea 22
3D printing for boats

Hello,
I've recently bought a 3d printer because I like to play with these kind of things...
Then I've recognized that is quite useful for general maintenance on the boat, at least IMHO.
Here some videos, maybe it would inspire someone.

I've tried to remove all creaks and squeaks that are really annoying during navigation ... probably the next step is to change the boat 😁

Efisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 04:20   #2

Boat: Mirage 35
Re: 3D printing for boats

I'm curious what type of plastic you use for the outdoor fittings.

I'm working on a couple of things - a cockpit locker hinge and supports for a swim ladder step - and plan to do the prototypes myself but have the final version done by a professional shop with access to materials I'm not set up to use.

My (small) hatch screens printed with PETG seem to be doing fine.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:19   #3

Not all 3d printers are the same. Not all 3d images are the same. For the hobbyist ' making cases and other trinkets is one thing. Making quality industrial grade products is another.

Your Use case on a boat will really drive if its viable or not. If you need tinsel strength your plastic going to be different than printing a towel holder.

On top of the designing the objects can be a challenge if you not did cad work in the past. While there are some easy to use tools, they often don't do the proper fill for a product being used in a critical component.

I know Mas over on the sail life you tube channel recently got a printer for his boat, but based on the printer he has its not going to do much more than print trinkets.
Old 03-07-2024, 05:29   #4

Boat: Grand Soleil 42

Very interested in following this thread. I used to work in industrial machinery industry and used to think 3d printing in an industrial environment would never replace drop forging and plate milling and welding - and then the industry changed.

I cannot think of a single plastic or metal part on my boat that hobbyist 3d printing would be viable for but certainly if it is or soon becomes it that would be wonderful.

But the sun, the stresses of hot and cold and mechanical stress are tremendous on even something as simple as a line holder.

Following with interest for real world experience.
paul.devalier is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 06:56   #5

3D printer been very useful on my boat where I try to DIY as many things as possible.
ASA filament is my go-to now, as it is UV resistant.
Printed so far:
-Cockpit table (printed in ABS and painted with a rattle can as a first test, seeing barely noticeable sag after 8 months)
-Binnacle
-Mast boot
-Various mounts for solar panel, jetboil, etc.
-Air scoops
-Solar powered vent
-Enclosures for pypilot, rudder sensor & other electronics
-Bimini rail clamps (those did fail, too much load. replaced with stainless steel)

No failures besides bimini mounts, but it's only been less than a year, so we'll see.

Also, I would not use a 3d printed object where safety is at stake.

One problem is that there are not many downloadable models that will fit your specific needs. Need to design everything yourself if you want it to fit properly. Lots of measurements, trial and error.

found a picture with binnacle, cockpit table, failed bimini mounts and a little piece of air scoop in the background.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	table.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	453.7 KB
ID:	291644  
SlinksLaptop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:14   #6

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35

I love my Prusa 3d printer and use it to make lots of functional items for the boat. One of my "covid projects" was to learn Fusion 360. It is very empowering to be able to be able to generate precisely designed items from your imagination into reality. I also make some animatronics for Halloween.

I attached a photo showing a panel on the right for my Vesper XB-8000 AIS alarm.

And I made some rail mounts and frames for Sunpower flexible solar panels:

https://www.printables.com/model/160...le-solar-panel

I've also made some battery enclosures for small 5 - 10ah LFP batteries with various jacks for usb charging and other accessories, and little things like custom panel standoffs for covering electrical bus bars etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	PXL_20230508_205752047.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	359.3 KB
ID:	291649  
patja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 07:20   #7

Boat: Prout Snowgoose 35

What is a good, easy to use, cad software which will make the printer files that you can buy once!

Anyone know any left?

I was using free cad software before which went pay per month. Used it for drone parts a couple years ago.

Would like to buy software so I have it for future without paying monthly.
pianopraze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 08:00   #8
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You can try FreeCAD, which is open source and free: https://www.freecad.org/

I use it and found it not too hard to learn (still learning thou) and good enough for the vast majority of my projects.
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 11:42   #9

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Denmark (Winter), Cruising North Sea and Baltic (Summer)
Boat: Cutter-Rigged Moody 54

I'm following this with interest.

My boat requires quite a lot of different parts, mostly small, mostly low strength, which are a PITA to source or make by conventional means. Having the means on board to make your own, it seems to me, would be just fantastic.
We must have a turn together . . . . I undress . . . . hurry me out of sight of the land,
Cushion me soft . . . . rock me in billowy drowse,
Dash me with amorous wet . . . . I can repay you."
Walt Whitman
Dockhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 12:37   #10

Boat: Fiart Marea 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mirage35 View Post
I'm curious what type of plastic you use for the outdoor fittings.
Some parts with PLA that I got with the printer, the right material is ABS with stabilization additive for UV resistance, otherwise PETG os also good.

Quote:
I'm working on a couple of things - a cockpit locker hinge and supports for a swim ladder step - and plan to do the prototypes myself but have the final version done by a professional shop with access to materials I'm not set up to use.
Looking at the boat some ideas always pop up. I'll replace soon the ecosounder sensor with an aerodiynamic fairing block, some backrest of fittings to be replaced as well...but maybe next winter.
Efisio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 13:05   #11

Boat: Mirage 35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dockhead View Post
I'm following this with interest.

My boat requires quite a lot of different parts, mostly small, mostly low strength, which are a PITA to source or make by conventional means. Having the means on board to make your own, it seems to me, would be just fantastic.
My emphasis - one thing a 3D printer wants is a stable platform, and it would really prefer temperature controlled or at least to be protected from drafts. Someone will probably pop up with experience, but I suspect printing on board would be challenging.
Old 03-07-2024, 13:08   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
My emphasis - one thing a 3D printer wants is a stable platform, and it would really prefer temperature controlled or at least to be protected from drafts. Someone will probably pop up with experience, but I suspect printing on board would be challenging.

Not really, the printer needs to be rigid in itself, but in theory you can even rotate it upside down while printing, it won't care.
barnab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 14:12   #13

How much would a printer that's really and truly useful for this purpose cost?
jhall767 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 20:02   #14

Boat: Sabre 402

Try this one on for size:
and more recently:
https://composites.umaine.edu/2022/0...-world-record/
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2024, 22:05   #15

Boat: Nordship 808

It's great !
Not for structural or parts that has to look shiny and "expensive".

I've made lot's of stuff, but on top of my head.

1. Tank-cap opener (same key as the winches) so I dont loose any more expensive winches over board

2. Holder for the tiller pilot arm, when not in use.

3. Spacers for the hinges on the cockpit locker

4. Special designed clip that will keep the main halyard away from getting behind the spreaders when leaving port. It applies just enough pressure to hold the halyard and when hoisting the sail it snaps out of it.

5. Clip on/off holder for the hand-held VHF.

In general it is great for custom spacers and mounting plates that are hidden, but make mounting and dismounting stuff easy.

I use OnShape. It is free for non-commercial use, but the best part is that is web-based so you have access everywhere and on every computer.

I think people fuss too much about material. I use PLA and the halyard clip spends all of it's life outside in sun (OK it is Scandinavia to be fair), and it lasts 3-4 years.

I ussually print an extra 2 or 3 of every part so I have a case for spare parts.
SaylorMade is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, Boats