Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-03-2013, 10:10   #1

Boat: 45 COLUMBIA MOTORSAILOR
Exclamation 45columbia keel

I have accuired a 1973 shoal draft 45FT Coulmbia motorsailor and believe to have an iron keel...
I also have descovered that the keel bolts are galvantically destroyed...completely..
I would like to inquire from someone who knowes if the keel bolts are poored in or if this keel has a window style instalation in which I might find and access ???
I would also like to chat with some one who has actually replaced keel bolts on a large sailboat as above mentioned..
I am not looking for oppinions...Sorry...I'm only intrested in those folks that have actually done it..thank you
nolandan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 10:46   #2

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: 45columbia keel

I've replaced keel bolts on a flanged iron keel but I don't know how yours are attached specifically so can't answer any of your questions until we find out if yours is flanged as well.
kind regards,
Old 22-03-2013, 11:03   #3

Thank's It seems that substancial info has been lost sice columbia inc tanked
Is there any way I may be able to descern by bolt placement??
Old 22-03-2013, 11:10   #4

Flanged would have the bolts running down two sides in parallel. Otherwise, you should have a row on keel center running fore and aft.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-03-2013, 11:44   #5

then I have a row--in line bolt pattern down keel center two bolts with 6inch space and a 12inch steel L plate as backer..6 sets that I have counted so far..and by the look from the outside of hull the keel is inset into the hull a bit..
I hope the bolts are not forged into the keel iron maybe someone can brighten my day by helping me find the bolt windows
Old 22-03-2013, 17:02   #6

Boat: Columbia 41

I own a Columbia 41. The keel is cast iron. The keel was drilled and tapped to receive 3/4" diameter studs. The studs are secured with nuts to match. I replaced the studs nuts with stainless steel. That is, all but two studs that are located under the engine. I cleaned the threads on those and replaced the nuts only.

I cannot say if your Columbia 45 keel was drilled and tapped too but it seems likely.
Sam Plan B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-03-2013, 21:13   #7

Great did you drill and tap the holes your-self? I'm curious on what you drilling technique was...tks
Old 23-03-2013, 21:40   #8

Boat: Now we need to get her to Louisiana !! she's ours

He said the Factory installed the bolts that way, not he did ! at least that's what I read ! The only Columbia I worked on was studs threaded in the keel with a plate over them with washers and nuts on top. you will have to look or have a marine yard shipfitter look it over for ya !
Old 23-03-2013, 21:48   #9

Don't know about your boat but the normal way for studs to be installed in cast iron keels is that they are tapped at the factory. If you can get to the stud you should be able to unscrew it and install a new stud.
robert sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2013, 09:25   #10

No. The cast iron was factory drilled and tapped. I backed out the original 3/4" studs using two nuts and a 24" ratchet. I had to push on the ratched with both feet to get the studs to move. They were embeded about 4" into the keel. The fiberglass just above the keel was about 1' thick. So, I used 6" stainless studs for replacement. Coated the new studs with 5200. Of course, the old studs were replaced one at a time with the new. All of this work was done on the hardstand.
Old 25-03-2013, 07:45   #11

Ok that's the info I was looking for...tks. as I noted in original inquiry the nut and threads are totally waisted I'm planning on drilling out and replacing ...how deep were your bolts placed?? I quite sure I will not find enough thread to back out..
Old 25-03-2013, 09:25   #12

Noland, the keel was drilled and tapped to a depth of about 4". The threading was course, maybe 20 x 3/4. The keel bolts were spaced in pairs with two pair before the mast, two at the mast step, two aft of the mast and two under the engine. Try to back out at least one keel bolt to verify the diameter and thread spacing. Manufacturers tend to go with the same process so your keel likely was done the same way. Verify before you get far into it. You do not want to retap cast iron if you guess the wrong size with your clean-out tools. Somebody makes a tool to back out bolts with a drill. I don't think that would work in your case. The torq required is just too much.

One other thing, you may also have two bolts under your engine. You really will not be able to do much with them unless you lift the engine off the motor mounts. On the other hand, since most engines drip oil, those two studs may be in okay shape. If so, just replace the bolts and washers.
Old 25-03-2013, 09:37   #13

I've often wondered if this is even possible on some bolts... steel bolts in Iron keels.... seems like they would be in there permanently after 40 years. Imagine how much that would cost... hope yours come out. If I were doing this, I would buy some monel bar and have studs machined out of that or something like that.... but what the heck I guess... steel lasted pretty long. Some of today's steel "aint what it used to be though"

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-03-2013, 09:44   #14

My keel studs bolts were original mild steel threaded rod, cut to length. The top two inches and the nuts showed a bit of corrosion (which is why I opted to replace them). The ends that were embedded in the keel looked as good as new. Mt boat was built in 1974.
Old 25-03-2013, 10:44   #15

Great thanks for your insight can't wait to get started ..it helps when you know what to expect...have a great week

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20130325_124352.png
Views:	147
Size:	332.8 KB
ID:	57851

Tags
keel