Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-10-2012, 04:02   #91

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393
Re: 60 ft on the Chesapeake - It Begins !

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSDman View Post
Nothing blows the wind out of ones sails like hearing the surveyor tic off list after list of things wrong with the boat you want to buy.

Ya but trust me, it sucks a lot more wen the surveyor does not find the things that are wrong with the boat and you do once you are out at sea.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 04:33   #92

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 393

Wow. Just read this whole thread. I am quite impressed. It is motivating me to get my small boat projects done today.

Great job and nice looking boat.
mikepmtl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2012, 08:28   #93

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

DSDman... it was a Transpac 49 that we had. It was about 20 years ago as I recall but ended up being a wonderfully cathartic experience as I was recovering from a heart attack, hooked up with a new lady (who I ended up marrying) and continued to cruise and live aboard together until a couple of years ago. Your project will change your life and by the look of the quality and scope of work you are doing, you will have a hard time letting her go. I have great admiration for folks like you who take on such a task with such a fine outcome. Keep us all informed of your progress, disappointments and accomplishments. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 07:39   #94

Just a quick update on the progress. Changed out some older hoses on the engine and all seems to be fine. Went sailing yesterday and had a great trip, just a day sail and all went well. Making plans to remove sails and have them cleaned and inspected, this will be a first for me so I'm taking them off and planning to take them to Bacons in annapolis since they seem to be the least expensive for cleaning...2.95 per pound. Anyway it will be nice to get a professional opinion on them. Anyone have any better places close by on the bay? She doesn't read this thread but I have to brag on my first mate some. She is really coming along and her learning curve has been much steeper than mine but her willingness to handle lines and jump off boats and back on is great! Every time we go out my confidence climbs as we safely pull back in with just the two of us handling this boat....as Zee would say, "Tis awesome".
DSDman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 08:36   #95

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Glad your First Mate is quickly picking up the basics of crewing aboard a fairly good size vessel, DSDman. If I could be so bold as to offer a suggestion based on what worked out well for us is to hand over to her the reins of running the boat, making decisions, driving and docking with you as crew. It did my better half a world of good in having her quickly gain confidence and competence. Not only that, if I was incapacitated for some reason, she had the skills and experience to handle the boat on her own. One downside was that once she had skippered a few times, she began to question my every move, which, on reflection, wasn't a bad thing. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 11:19   #96
cruiser

Boat: Looking and saving for my next...mid-atlantic coast

DS:

What a wonderful boat. Just read through the thread. Slow and steady - you are making great progress.
SaltyMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-10-2012, 14:56   #97

Captn Phil, that is a superb suggestion. So soon as I figure out what the heck I'm doing she will be next in the que! That way I can at least figure out what to say!. I learned yesterday that when docking in some wind a little speed into the slip is not a bad thing. So after my second run at it I looked just like captn Ron. High RPM in reverse equals bow tracking to port! so aim for starboard corner at speed and stop it in full reverse, swings in there nice and easy!
Old 23-10-2012, 16:47   #98

Last weekend was bitter sweet, one day out sailing with the kids and one day taking the sails down and starting the winterization process. Went over and checked up on Vic, from virtual vagabond, great visit and what a wonderful ship, nice meeting Sandy who it appears has been true to her name and has been sanding quite a bit! In case anyone cares to know it, this is the cut of my jib, so to speak, and a picture of the stack pack before cleaning.

Click image for larger version

Name:	ForumRunner_20121023_190349.jpg
Views:	384
Size:	104.4 KB
ID:	48683

Name:	ForumRunner_20121023_190404.jpg
Views:	356
Size:	123.2 KB
ID:	48684

Name:	ForumRunner_20121023_190417.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	118.3 KB
ID:	48685

Name:	ForumRunner_20121023_190430.jpg
Views:	363
Size:	112.3 KB
ID:	48686
Old 23-10-2012, 16:48   #99
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Last weekend was bitter sweet, one day out sailing with the kids and one day taking the sails down and starting the winterization process. Went over and checked up on Vic, from virtual vagabond, great visit and what a wonderful ship, nice meeting Sandy who it appears has been true to her name and has been sanding quite a bit! In case anyone cares to know it, this is the cut of my jib, so to speak, and a picture of the stack pack before cleaning.

Attachment 48683

Attachment 48684

Attachment 48685

Attachment 48686

Watch those grass stains! Do I see a pool? Could be useful, LOL...
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 16:58   #100

Yes that was the very first thing I winterized! Sails are all going to the cleaners and have them inspected and cleaned. I'm still establishing a base line on all the parts, engine guy came out and blessed the old perkins and said it was strong, just needed some TLC. So this will let me know where I stand sail wise, found a couple of blown battens and will have to replace those. At some will have to get a rigger out to inspect the rig... scared of that one a bit, so I'm in no rush.
Old 23-10-2012, 17:04   #101
Resin Head

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Nauticat

Quote:
Yes that was the very first thing I winterized! Sails are all going to the cleaners and have them inspected and cleaned. I'm still establishing a base line on all the parts, engine guy came out and blessed the old perkins and said it was strong, just needed some TLC. So this will let me know where I stand sail wise, found a couple of blown battens and will have to replace those. At some will have to get a rigger out to inspect the rig... scared of that one a bit, so I'm in no rush.

I'd get the rig inspected and professionally tuned before doing any more sailing. When I got my boat, the rig was incredibly out of tune. Dangerously so. The PO was a ship's pilot and very knowledgeable about many things nautical, took great care of the boat and spent a fortune on her, but I don't think he was much of a sailor. Traded her in for a new Kadey-Krogen.
minaret is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 17:06   #102
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

winterizing in mexico in winter---is getting ready to sail out of la cruz for zihuatenejo--i will post pix, and spot will be on my webpage.
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 17:13   #103

Hey Zee maybe someday my winterizing plan will be to just follow you around down south in the warmer latitudes!
Old 23-10-2012, 18:35   #104

Boat: CT 54... for our sins!

Quote:
]
Hey Scott, it was nice meeting you too. Always good to be able to put a face to a name.

I really admire your approach. A bit like jumping in the deep end and kicking like hell until you get the swimming thing worked out.

If you've run out of projects on your boat, we could keep you busy on Wind Wanderer for a few hours on the weekends!

Vic

www.windwanderer.weebly.com
VirtualVagabond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-10-2012, 18:44   #105
cat herder, extreme blacksheep

Boat: 1976 FORMOSA yankee clipper 41

Quote:
Hey Zee maybe someday my winterizing plan will be to just follow you around down south in the warmer latitudes!
that is a good idea--sailing south is the best winterization for humans i ever found....
zeehag is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paracelle