Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-03-2018, 19:44   #1

Boat: Sceptre 41
6061 T6 Aluminum

Hi All:

My rigid vang jammed. I was only able to get it to move by destroying the aluminum tube that it ran in. There was so much salt caked up on the stainless steel shaft that ran through a sleeve that was set in the aluminum tube. Rather then buy a new vang I am thinking of just re manufacturing the aluminum tube. The question I have is what kind of aluminum would be best suited. I have access to 6061 T6 Aluminum. The existing tube is just under 2" with a 1/4" wall. I would get a tube with the same wall thickness. The vang supports a boom and 429 sq ft of sail.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-03-2018, 20:43   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'
Re: 6061 T6 Aluminum

Charlie,
Typically when folks manufacture or mass produce something they attempt to use something 'off the shelf'.
The pipe vs tube specs can be confusing. If you have measurements of under 2" it might be 1.900" O.D. with a .200" wall. That might make it 2" sch 80 pipe and in 6061 T6 is not difficult to find or outrageously expensive. It is also the appropriate alloy and temper for that application.
Chris
Old 27-03-2018, 21:33   #3
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cal 2-46'

Charlie, I now see your frustrating earlier post and your attempt with the hydraulics.
Probably stating the obvious now but pushing against that bearing/ bushing would stop things.
I love taking things apart.
Chris
Old 27-03-2018, 22:50   #4

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

6061 would be a suitable aluminium grade, although the mixture of stainless and aluminium fundemental to the design is not a great combination.

In your other thread with the photos of the aluminium tube it looks like the original tube was anodised. This is helpful and surprisingly is not enormously expensive. I would look at having the new tube also anodised.
noelex 77 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2018, 07:15   #5

Boat: Sceptre 41

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Charlie,
Typically when folks manufacture or mass produce something they attempt to use something 'off the shelf'.
The pipe vs tube specs can be confusing. If you have measurements of under 2" it might be 1.900" O.D. with a .200" wall. That might make it 2" sch 80 pipe and in 6061 T6 is not difficult to find or outrageously expensive. It is also the appropriate alloy and temper for that application.
Chris
Thanks Chris. The actual measurement was 1.90" makes sense that it was schedule 80. I did not measure the exact wall thickness but estimated it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundtackle View Post
Charlie, I now see your frustrating earlier post and your attempt with the hydraulics.
Probably stating the obvious now but pushing against that bearing/ bushing would stop things.
I love taking things apart.
Chris
Rigid vang is spring operated. I will try to post pictures but the salt had built up was so thick that the SS shaft could not be coerced thru the sleeve. If I had let it soak changing the water it would have worked eventually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by noelex 77 View Post
6061 would be a suitable aluminium grade, although the mixture of stainless and aluminium fundemental to the design is not a great combination.

In your other thread with the photos of the aluminium tube it looks like the original tube was anodised. This is helpful and surprisingly is not enormously expensive. I would look at having the new tube also anodised.
Thanks Nolex. I will look into that. Ordered a sleeve from McMaster Carr. Now need to call local suppliers about aluminum tube.

Agree on anodizing.

Charlie

Between us there was, as I have already said somewhere, the bond of the sea. Besides holding our hearts together through long periods of separation, it had the effect of making us tolerant of each other's yarns -- and even convictions. Heart of Darkness
Joseph Conrad
Charlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 13:48   #6

ONLINEMEATLS.com out of Washington state if I remember right ! I got a new boom section from them ! 6061 T6 about 5 yrs ago!
You can also check MAXGAIN it a radio supply (antenna) in Georgia
mike d. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-03-2018, 14:18   #7

Boat: Building a Max Cruise 44 hybrid electric cat

You should be able to pick-up pre-anodized tube from a local metal shop. If you need something welded, just remove the anodizing in that area and weld on your fittings. All the tuna towers and other stuff on sport fishing boats are 6061 or 6063 anodized tube, and they do just fine.

Matt

Tags
aluminum