Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2022, 16:27   #1

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44
A harder antifoul paint perhaps?

Hi all,

I've used an ablative paint (Altex AF5) for the last ten years with pretty satisfactory results

On average, I get about 18 months before noticeable growth appears and by 24 months I am noticing a big hit to boat speed. That's when I bite the bullet and fork out horrible amounts of money on slipping fees and lots of paint.

But I've been in pretty cool waters, being at 35 degrees south or even down to 42 degrees south.

Next step is north, with planned latitudes of thr mid 20 degrees or thereabouts.

So, I'm thinking it may be time for a change of antifouling strategy. I have good quality dive gear and I've found I'm not too bad at scrubbing the boat underside. Perhaps it is time to go for an antifouling system better suited to a regular cleaning approach?

A friend is using coppercoat with good results so far (5 years I think).

Are there other paints I could.consider, harder paints that will stand up to regular scrubbing?

Matt
Old 22-12-2022, 16:31   #2

Boat: Chris Craft 381 Catalina
Re: A harder antifoul paint perhaps?

A hard, non-ablative paint would be the most scrubbing-tolerant solution, although you do have to worry about long term paint buildup (as the paint doesn't wear off, it just loses its antifouling properties, so you end up adding more and more paint when you eventually need to repaint.

Some ablatives are also harder than others. Interlux Micron CSC (no idea if it's available in Aus) is pretty hard as ablatives go, for example.

Any paint (ablative or hard) will require periodic cleaning, especially in warmer water. In the summer in warm water areas, cleaning every 4 weeks or so isn't uncommon. With ablative, it's time to re-paint when the paint has worn off. With hard paint, when the growth starts getting significantly worse and you're needing to clean excessively frequently, then it's time for a new coat of paint.
rslifkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 03:50   #3

Boat: Moody 376

Fan of the micron csc. Just did two seasons in the water in the Chesapeake with it.. Dove on the boat a few times to knock down some soft growth at the waterline and rudder...
On the hard now and will go with csc again...
marcjsmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 05:54   #4

Boat: 2010 Jeanneau SO 44i

Quote:
Originally Posted by marcjsmith View Post
Fan of the micron csc. Just did two seasons in the water in the Chesapeake with it.. Dove on the boat a few times to knock down some soft growth at the waterline and rudder...
On the hard now and will go with csc again...
I used the Interlux micron ultra (no longer made) and I got 3 seasons out of it, the boat stayed wet. The last year was a stretch, really a 24 month product on the Long Island sound.
Did you take the Interlux SCS out and have the boat on hard multiple seasons?

I dive my vessel as well and have been lightly defouling my hull during the season (3x), a semi hard would stand up better to the agitation.
Kd9truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 07:28   #5

I've had Micron CSC on land for the winter and re-launched without painting. Paint worked just fine on re-launch (as I'd expect from an ablative).
Old 23-12-2022, 09:00   #6

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Matt,
Previously used Trinidad for many years on a several boats that we've owned and typically got > 4yrs on each bottom job. We used a dri-diver scrub pad (with a slightly more aggressive pad) and some diving on the hull to keep it clean.

Last year, we switched to Sea Hawk Tropikote after we noticed the Trinidad wasn't working as well. My assumption for the poorer performance of the Trinidad was due to the lowering of the copper content in the product. Again my performance evaluation was for the US mid-Atlantic region and other areas of the world may be different.

We do not see a built up of bottom paint since we use the dri-diver. This was evident when we hauled out last year and we could see the remnants of different colored 1st coat exposed (happened to find another color of Trinidad on sale). Generally, we only need quickly sand to rough it up and then paint. We do put on 2 full coats plus a 3rd at the water line.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2022, 23:44   #7

Thank you guys, some options for me to try. I'll see if I can source the locally.
Old 24-12-2022, 05:26   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by GILow View Post
Thank you guys, some options for me to try. I'll see if I can source the locally.

As a heads up, the Interlux stuff may be branded as International in your part of the world.
Old 24-12-2022, 07:41   #9
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill O View Post
My assumption for the poorer performance of the Trinidad was due to the lowering of the copper content in the product.
While Pettit did reduce the amount of copper biocide in most of its Trinidad products, they did this because of the development of new copper processing techniques that allows less metal to provide more anti fouling performance. Trinidad (any flavor) continues to be this professional hull diver's hard paint of choice and I recommend it above all others.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 08:01   #10

Boat: Bruce Bingham Christina 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
While Pettit did reduce the amount of copper biocide in most of its Trinidad products, they did this because of the development of new copper processing techniques that allows less metal to provide more anti fouling performance. Trinidad (any flavor) continues to be this professional hull diver's hard paint of choice and I recommend it above all others.

Yes, we've had this discussion before and why I limited my observations to the warmer waters of the Mid-Atlantic than compared to colder waters of N. California as you may observe. My assessment is based on >25yrs of using Trinidad and am not as satisfied with the performance of the more recent formulations.

As we continue spend more time in tropical waters, we will see how well the SH Tropikote performs.
Bill O is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-12-2022, 09:31   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by rslifkin View Post
As a heads up, the Interlux stuff may be branded as International in your part of the world.

Thank you, yes, this seems to be the case.
Old 25-12-2022, 16:37   #12

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

Hi matt
I am using Altex #5, getting 2 to 3 years out if, with 2 coats and additional coats on water line and leading edges, until i used all the antifoul I purchased....... hmmm similar temperatures compared where you are I suppose, definitely not tropical

However the guy I got it from last does not sell it anymore, as this Altex #5 is fairly soft and does not withstand scrubbing and no, I never scrub the antifoul and have prop-speed on the prop.

Now this guy recommends International AP, which I believe is a updated version of Micron 66. quite a few locals have made the switch. I have not..... yet. Just purchased Altex #5 again, it is in the back of the van.
https://www.international-yachtpaint...ling/micron-ap

BTW these 2 coats virtually completely disappear after 2-3 years, so no built-up, and..... I have a harder antifoul underneath that, and underneath that (what looks like) coppercoat, likely applied by one of the previous owners.
Old 25-12-2022, 22:07   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by HankOnthewater View Post
Hi matt
I am using Altex #5, getting 2 to 3 years out if, with 2 coats and additional coats on water line and leading edges, until i used all the antifoul I purchased....... hmmm similar temperatures compared where you are I suppose, definitely not tropical

However the guy I got it from last does not sell it anymore, as this Altex #5 is fairly soft and does not withstand scrubbing and no, I never scrub the antifoul and have prop-speed on the prop.

Now this guy recommends International AP, which I believe is a updated version of Micron 66. quite a few locals have made the switch. I have not..... yet. Just purchased Altex #5 again, it is in the back of the van.
https://www.international-yachtpaint...ling/micron-ap

BTW these 2 coats virtually completely disappear after 2-3 years, so no built-up, and..... I have a harder antifoul underneath that, and underneath that (what looks like) coppercoat, likely applied by one of the previous owners.

I suspect the waters of Adelaide are a little rich in nutrients.

Like you, I’ve got a guide coat underneath the Altex and I’ve managed to avoid build up. But geez it is soft. Any kind of scrubbing leaves big black clouds in the water.

Is International AP a hard anti fouling paint?
Old 01-01-2023, 22:38   #14

Boat: plastic production boat, suitable for deep blue water ;)

It certainly looks harder, and more hard wearing. I have only seen it here on other boats, and nity looks reasonable after one year. But the small is small (n=5). Because it is harder may be more suitable for warmer (= more fouling) waters I suppose, but for the next 2 years... I am still having Altex.
Old 02-01-2023, 01:13   #15

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

when we had race boats we always used hard 2 pot antifouling such as international VC offshore. quite scruubbale

down side is it's not nearly as effective as ablative, and MUCH more expensive

also harder to apply

i stick to ablative these days (altex # 5 + is good)

cheers,

Tags
paint