Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2011, 15:55   #31

Boat: 15 foot Canoe
Re: A Little Help with How to Lift My Boat Up

Take it from me. You want the boat as high as safely possible when you start working on the bottom.
I don't know if its been mentioned but you can also drive the trailer up on car ramps and jack trailer up until you have enough room to block those 2x12s in and get them on the 55 gal drums then just lower the trailer out from under the boat.
kind regards,
Old 09-05-2011, 16:39   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54
Re: A Little Help with How to Lift My Boat Up

For about $250 I built a gantry out of 4X6's, 4X6 cross bars, used 2X8 for cross supports on the sides and 4 block and tackles. Drove the trailer under the gantry, a couple of lifting straps under hull fore and aft and lifted off the trailer. The boat is a long term project, 1955 Chris Craft Continental solid mahogany so no light weight. Gantry is bolted together so can sell it when the project is finished. Took a day to build the gantry and half a day to set lifting straps and do the lift a few inches at time on each block set up. Was also able to turn the boat 180 degrees to have her hull up with the gantry arrangement and build a cradle on the trailer to hold the hull up position. Once the hull is finished, flip her over and work on topsides and install engine.
I'm no spring chicken but independent so only help I need is flipping the boat. Capt Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lift