Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2016, 10:55   #16
F10

Boat: S&S 34
Re: Ablative Bottom Paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by rognvald View Post
F10,
Are there any differences based upon usage since a container ship/commercial vessel travels at high speeds and is underway most of its life where a cruising boat, between passages, spends much time at anchor? I've read about the paint on their website but there were no real definitive statements that would apply to recreational vessels. Did I miss something? Best, R.
I inquired about your question of using a commercial product on a pleasure sail boat. Asked several dealers and end users and they all said ABC#3 should be fine for a sail boat. Here is one users comments:
What type of bottom paint and why?

Also some interesting information from Navy on AF bottom paints.
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a597201.pdf
They did test the ABC#3 and said it wore away and adhesion failed. I am thinking there may have been a prep problem or substrate problem, as I have never heard bad things about ABC#3 and know quite a few people that use it on their sailboats. The fast wear rate may be a good thing form sailboats since their tests were done at 18 knots. Seeing most of us don't go that fast, maybe the wear rate is satisfactory at say 6-11 knots. The testing also answers some questions about putting a thick layer of AF on and hoping it will last longer:
http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/a597201.pdf
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 11:17   #17

Boat: a sailing boat

You will be right. I may be using the word incorrectly, transferring nomenclature from other fields.

What I understand most if not all ablatives contain a binding element and a toxic element. These are two different compounds. The amount of the toxic element differs between paints. The binding compound is normally one of two maybe three types. That's how they get quick release vs. slow release paints.

Must be similar to forming soaps. Just a harder end product.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 13:06   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
Try the ABC 3. It does last 5 years. It is used by container ships where time is money, and dry docking is in the $100,000's.
PPG ABC #3 Antifouling Paint
Thanks! I'll check it out this weekend. Headed to Bobby's on SXM to secure a haul out date.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 13:18   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by F10 View Post
I regularly don my scuba gear to (monthly) wipe the bottom with an old carpet for soft growth, also inspect the anodes and replace while underwater if needed, and clean the prop (sometimes scraping needed for barnacles). On my recent hull out I put Lanolin on the prop and shaft- I will see how that works. The Lanolin can be also put on underwater, so if needed (which I am sure it will), I will smear some more on. Hull outs here in Hawaii are expensive- looking at in the thousands including a few lay days to do the work, so try to do whatever I can to minimize haul outs.
I had a prop ship in Puerto Rico sell me on the idea of sealing the prop under vacuum with a polymer product. It still looks new after two years and I'm going to inspect thoroughly during haul out but wondering if truing up and edges will compromise the polymer. I'll keep you posted.
Jsta_Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-06-2016, 14:25   #20
F10

Boat: S&S 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsta_Rebel View Post
I had a prop ship in Puerto Rico sell me on the idea of sealing the prop under vacuum with a polymer product. It still looks new after two years and I'm going to inspect thoroughly during haul out but wondering if truing up and edges will compromise the polymer. I'll keep you posted.
Sounds like you have a good product. I know a lot of folks that use Prop Speed with good results. The stuff is expensive and my prop is in poor conditions where it would take a lot of grinding to get it faired, so I just went with Lanolin.
F10 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
bottom paint, paint