Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-01-2013, 22:58   #1

Location: presently gallivanting back across the Pacific... Pago Pago at the moment
Boat: Hylas 49 - GALLIVANTER
Ablative Paint Compatability?

Hi All,

I hope this isn't redundant, but I cannot find a deninitive answer and I'm certain I'll get an answer here.

We were crushed yesterday in the Australia Floods and ended-up conjoined with another yacht in raging, debris filled river water in Brisbane. Lucky we weren't driven under!

I've just hauled out for hull repairs and routine bottom job while we're at it and the boatyard is reluctant to apply JOTUN bottom paint over my existing TRANS OCEAN bottom paint. Both are ablative.

The yard is recommending we grind back and apply a Jotun Barrier Coat... because they cannot find any data on the Trans Ocean paint.

I believe a barrier coat is un-necessary when applying ablative on ablative paint.

I don't want to be cheap about this but time is money (especially while in an Australian boat yard) and the added procedure they suggest will add days and expense... and I just want an Outside Answer from the collective brilliance within this forum.

I cannot find the answer anywhere within the world wide web so any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

To Life!

Kirk
Gallivanters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2013, 23:47   #2

Boat: Catalina C42
Re: Ablative Paint Compatability?

Hi Gallivanters,
Unfortunately I dont have a definate answer to your question. I hauled out at Rivergate marina some 2 1/2 years ago and applied Altex No5 ablative over unknown ablative antifoul. In my case it worked out great. No barrier coat needed. Just a pressure wash and light sand.
Old 30-01-2013, 00:35   #3

Boat: Privilege 435 Now Sold

I had a problem a few years back putting ablative over another, unknown make, ablative. A month later I was back in the yard having the whole lot taken off.

Unless you can get a definitive answer about compatibility it can be an expensive mistake

https://sailingjeannius.blogspot.com
Jeannius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-01-2013, 00:42   #4
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gallivanters View Post
Hi All,

I hope this isn't redundant, but I cannot find a deninitive answer and I'm certain I'll get an answer here.

We were crushed yesterday in the Australia Floods and ended-up conjoined with another yacht in raging, debris filled river water in Brisbane. Lucky we weren't driven under!

I've just hauled out for hull repairs and routine bottom job while we're at it and the boatyard is reluctant to apply JOTUN bottom paint over my existing TRANS OCEAN bottom paint. Both are ablative.

The yard is recommending we grind back and apply a Jotun Barrier Coat... because they cannot find any data on the Trans Ocean paint.

I believe a barrier coat is un-necessary when applying ablative on ablative paint.

I don't want to be cheap about this but time is money (especially while in an Australian boat yard) and the added procedure they suggest will add days and expense... and I just want an Outside Answer from the collective brilliance within this forum.

I cannot find the answer anywhere within the world wide web so any pointers would be much appreciated. Thanks.

To Life!

Kirk
Transocean - The Bodyguard - Marine

Jotun worldwide

It seems that both paint manufactures have ablative, if they are of similar properties, and similar bases then one over the other will not fail.

But you have to read the fine print , least you don't trust the Yard.

Lloyd
FlyingCloud1937 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
paint