Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-01-2017, 13:25   #16

Re: About to order a flagship marine unit

I will update this thread over the years, and let people know how well it works, or does not work. They have provided no discount or incentive to me for this.

A dometic unit lasted me 6 months, and a marine airrrrr unit lasted 12 months before the condenser rotted away and it leaked freon.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:26   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Odyssey View Post
I hope you have good luck with yours. Be sure to ask Flagship LOTS of questions while you are at this stage of the purchase. Other than installation instructions, you get no documentation (i.e. Instruction manual), and support after the purchase leaves a lot to be desired.

Again, best of luck. Maybe if you only use yours occasionally, it will hold up better than mine.
Mine will be used 24/7 for the next 48 months.
Old 08-01-2017, 13:28   #18

Boat: Nauticat 52

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailnow2011 View Post
Mine will be used 24/7 for the next 48 months.

Whoa! That's more than I even use mine here in the tropics! Make sure you buy spare parts!
Raven Odyssey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 13:31   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raven Odyssey View Post
Whoa! That's more than I even use mine here in the tropics! Make sure you buy spare parts!
New baby, 4 years until we leave for the rest of the world, and follow the sun. After that, most likely it will sit idle.
Old 08-01-2017, 13:32   #20

Boat: Camano Troll

Someone suggested asking an AC guy. Mine told me that none were made with electric resistance heating. He was either wrong or he was lying. Being in the business, I expect he was lying because if I can find one, he could too.

Electric resistance heating is not as energy efficient as reverse cycle but for those of us on a fixed rate, that doesn't really make a difference. Electric resistance heating saves a lot of wear on the compressor.
Old 08-01-2017, 13:36   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by rwidman View Post
Someone suggested asking an AC guy. Mine told me that none were made with electric resistance heating. He was either wrong or he was lying. Being in the business, I expect he was lying because if I can find one, he could too.

Electric resistance heating is not as energy efficient as reverse cycle but for those of us on a fixed rate, that doesn't really make a difference. Electric resistance heating saves a lot of wear on the compressor.

I thought they were reverse cycle, but I didn't order mine with heat, so I'm probably wrong...much like, perhaps, your A/C guy.
Old 08-01-2017, 13:38   #22

When I was getting a quote last year they said they would make one with reverse cycle, but didn't recommend it, as the valve can be problematic. I have had bed reversing valves....
Old 08-01-2017, 13:46   #23

About to order a flagship marine unit

Quote:
When I was getting a quote last year they said they would make one with reverse cycle, but didn't recommend it, as the valve can be problematic. I have had bed reversing valves....

We have a couple of ESPAR heaters onboard. The heat is not
very controllable, but they are efficient and dependable. I haven't had to use them in over a year...smiling.
Old 08-01-2017, 14:01   #24

Boat: Beneteau First 42

Quote:
FWIW the KingAir 16K BTU unit comes standard with reverse cycle. Our first unit lasted 16 years without any difficulty and would still be going strong save for a poor installation that allowed water to reach the underside of the compressor (without our knowledge) causing it to rust out and fail. Its replacement unit has been working now for two years without any difficulty in either mode. FYI, our slip neighbor installed a 16K Flagship unit in his motorboat in September. This past week we saw him moving the unit from his boat to his automobile-- "...going back for repair...". Three months...
"It is not so much for its beauty that the Sea makes a claim upon men's hearts, as for that subtle something, that quality of air, that emanation from the waves, that so wonderfully renews a weary spirit."
svHyLyte is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2017, 14:06   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by svHyLyte View Post
FWIW the KingAir 16K BTU unit comes standard with reverse cycle. Our first unit lasted 16 years without any difficulty and would still be going strong save for a poor installation that allowed water to reach the underside of the compressor (without our knowledge) causing it to rust out and fail. Its replacement unit has been working now for two years without any difficulty in either mode. FYI, our slip neighbor installed a 16K Flagship unit in his motorboat in September. This past week we saw him moving the unit from his boat to his automobile-- "...going back for repair...". Three months...

Sounds about like my experience with Flagship.
Old 08-01-2017, 17:07   #26
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38
About to order a flagship marine unit

Electric resistance heat is unusual, and a little more money to manufacture I'm sure, but it will not lose efficiency if your one of those people way up North in cold water.
My el cheapo Webasto' are fine after three years, and I will leave the big one running all Summer to keep the boat cool.
If I buy another, it will likely be a King, I should have gone that route and have been kicking myself for not.
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
flags, marine