Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2021, 11:11   #1

Boat: 1984 Hunter 27
Adding a Bow pulpit

I have a 1984 Hunter 27 and I would like to add a Bow pulpit similar to the one pictured. Mainly to get the anchor out of the anchor locker and I like the looks of a bow pulpit. I will also be installing a bow roller on this bow pulpit. Has anyone ever added a pulpit to a Hunter or any boat where it was not a standard factoring offering. Would there be any special reinforcing necessary? Any potential problems with doing this? Anything I should pay special attention to ? Thank for taking the time to read this. Marty
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bow pulpit.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	419.7 KB
ID:	232191  
finefurn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:20   #2

Location: La Ciudad de la Misión Didacus de Alcalá en Alta California, Virreinato de Nueva España
Boat: Cal 20
Re: Adding a Bow pulpit

There should be a centerline brace from near the forward end going down to the bow a bit above the waterline.

The roller should not overhang that far forward, the point of the bowsprit is to get the roller further forward without overhanging so much.

I would put some kind of bail across the very forward end to shackle light air sails to: drifter, cruising chute, CodeZero.
Adelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:25   #3

Boat: Caliber 40 LRC
Adding a Bow pulpit

Pretty good lever out there with the weight on it. Any thought of adding a dolphin striker and moving the forestay to the forward end of the new anchor platform? The “Bow pulpit” is the railing on the bow.

https://www.cruisingworld.com/how/ho...chor-platform/
Red Sky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 11:49   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: 1976 Sabre 28-2
Send a message via Yahoo to roverhi

That's a bow platform/bowsprit. Without a tube bobstay they are asking to be bent if you anchor with a bit of wave action. That one is especially egregious with the extended bow roller sticking out more than another foot. A properly installed anchor roller will do what you wan. Did that with my boat, anchor is forward of the bow and out of the way on the roller and doesn't look like some cobbled together oil derrick sticking off the bow..
roverhi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:34   #5

Boat: Hunter 46

Quote:
Originally Posted by finefurn View Post
............... have a 1984 Hunter 27 and I would like to add a Bow pulpit similar to the one pictured. Mainly to get the anchor out of the anchor locker and I like the looks of a bow pulpit. I will also be installing a bow roller on this bow pulpit. Has anyone ever added a pulpit to a Hunter or any boat where it was not a standard factoring offering. Would there be any special reinforcing necessary? Any potential problems with doing this? Anything I should pay special attention to?.............
Suggest a Batsystem PB105 with an anchor roller, designed for 26 - 33 feet sailboats.

https://www.batsystem.se/en/products/pb105/

https://www.batsystem.se/en/content/...0520190325.pdf
sail sfbay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 08:44   #6

Boat: Tartan 37C

Keenly following with the idea of not moving the anchor forward but flying a code zero
Captain Anthony is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 09:08   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by roverhi View Post
That's a bow platform/bowsprit. Without a tube bobstay they are asking to be bent if you anchor with a bit of wave action. That one is especially egregious with the extended bow roller sticking out more than another foot. A properly installed anchor roller will do what you wan. Did that with my boat, anchor is forward of the bow and out of the way on the roller and doesn't look like some cobbled together oil derrick sticking off the bow..
I wouldn't put any anchoring forces on a bow pulpit. IMHO the pulpit is there to hold/store the anchor and to ease deploying and recovery. I'd be using a snubber or a bridle from the cleats.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 10:27   #8

Boat: Coast 34 Sail

What Shrew said! If your point is to get the anchor out away from hull and ready to deploy no need to build it to handle stress at anchor. That is what bridle back to forward cleat is for. If you do decide to attach tack of spinnaker or such to new platform then more design is required. Nice thing about a Hunter is many out there and Hunter Owner Group could result in input from others that have done what you are planning. Fair Winds
Tomodore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 13:13   #9

Boat: Pearson 30

Keen interest on this thread, appreciate the ideas as I eavesdrop. I am adding anchor roller to a Pearson 30 with a newly acquired Manson anchor. Also considering adding a platform/bow pulpit, attaching anchor roller directly to the deck with a slight overhang. Concerns Include running anchor rode from anchor locker to the roller and keeping a relatively straight run. Also, Ensure that there is Sufficientroom for the anchor To clear the bow of the boat when it’s in the roller. I know that sounds obvious, but stuff happens! Anyway, comments much appreciated here as well.
Sailon1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 13:26   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adelie View Post
There should be a centerline brace from near the forward end going down to the bow a bit above the waterline.

The roller should not overhang that far forward, the point of the bowsprit is to get the roller further forward without overhanging so much.

I would put some kind of bail across the very forward end to shackle light air sails to: drifter, cruising chute, CodeZero.
I agree, like that with a center brace to the bow. Make ~ 45 degree brace and it will be fine. I would not have the roller overhang that much as in the pic though.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2021, 14:33   #11

Boat: O'Day 34

The large overhang is very likely to be bent. Why not just install a commercially available anchor bracket/roller as I have done. Less than $100 usd, strong and works well. A large backing plate will be required.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	04A61925-CEBC-4D3C-9705-EB11D3DF9DB7.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	440.6 KB
ID:	232269   Click image for larger version

Name:	44564E7D-E059-4502-B8DA-715EAFD99DAF.jpg
Views:	200
Size:	434.2 KB
ID:	232270  

Quadrille in JB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 20:05   #12

Hi all, CaptVR here.
Well you got a lot of advice, and much is from people with 1000.s of comments, but very little actual experience in building boats or engineering structures and sub-structures on boats. I've built 6 boats, total refits to hundreds over my 55 years in the boating industry. A marine surveyor for over 20.
Next time your at the marina, look the boats over, you will find 9 of 10 with bow platforms are holding anchors in one form or another. They are designed for the loadings that will be put on them. If your not sure of your own engineering, go into a full service yard with a sketch of what you want and head carpenter will probably give you good advice for a good lunch or a six pack of Molesons.
But anyone that tells you that pulpits arn't made for the loading, they became experts while having that cocktail in there cockpit. I'm surprised that comments are made like that by boaters, guess they never put that drink down and looked at pulpits be3fore they made there comment. Being a surveyor, that bow area of pulpits and anchor rollers is always scrutinized.
I had a 65' schooner "Altair" she was 50 ton, no bridals, no snubbers, no weights. Two 25 lb Danforth high tensile, each with 30' bbb 1/2" chain with 300' of 1" line. I drew 7' of water, normally would try and anchor in 10-15' of water. I would Bahamian moor with 150' on each rode. Never ounce in 7 years of cruising this hemisphere did I drag down. One night on a frontal passage, a Morgan 41 tripped up, came back against my rail, we tied it off and that one up wind 25HT held both of us until morning.
Now I have to interject. My nickname in the Caribbean was Capt 8 Anchors. I had 2 25HT Danforths main working anchors, 45 CQR, 45 & 55 Yachtsman, 30 lb Grapnel, 70 lb Stockless, and a little 20 Danforth for a lunch hook. One thing I always did unless it was really settled condition and anchorage with good protection. Open road steads, I always dove on my anchors and checked sets.
Hope I gave you some insight, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS
PS: Both my anchor rollers were in my platform, never a problem. Thought I might add, if you do put rollers on your platform, you do required a substantial Dolphin Striker for lower suport.
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2021, 20:26   #13

CaptVR here again.
A number of reasons for putting the rollers out in the pulpit.
1. Keeps the anchors out away from the hull, no anchor pecks and digs in the hull.
2. Bring anchor / anchors up to water surface, can easily slosh mud off of them.
3. Much easier to unwrap lines twisted during tied changes if needed.
4. Platform makes a good vantage point when coming into shoal areas for anchoring.
5. On the schooner it was the quiet place where you could go sit, no one would bother you out there and one could gather thoughts, without being disturbed by others. This was for all that wanted to gather thoughts before speaking to others. Made for civil conversations instead of confrontations. Always try and look at others points before making comments. I found that one of my best qualities as Captain.
6. Work up hand signals. I could come into an anchorage under main staysail, drop sail and set both anchors in minutes, never yell or say a word.. Many times others would bring us over drinks and want to learn our procedure for anchoring. Was quite cool...
Take care all, Capt. Vince Rakstis, Ret.MS
CF32907 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-02-2021, 11:03   #14

Boat: Hunter 27, 1978

...lurking...
SailingFan is offline   Reply With Quote