Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 27-02-2022, 10:04   #76
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Re: Adding copper dust to bottom paint

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdqsailor View Post
It must be nice to either know everything... or know nothing. When you ,know everything then of course you can learn nothing, when you know nothing - you can learn everything.. So the commercial bottom paints that have copper powder as active ingredient MAGICALLY were conjured, no one ever made a batch and refined it and tested it and proved that it works and because it is MAGIC - of course it can not be duplicated or reverse engineered.. It must be wonderful to go through life KNOWING everything?
So your point wasn't that you can turn everyday house paint into a functional anti fouling paint?
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:07   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
If it works so great, how come there isn't (and never has been) a single commercial version on the market?
Because I had other things to do than starting a business to make and sell it.

Also conforming to all the EPA regulations to manufacture a product like that is a horrendous hassle. Sailing is much more fun.

That is a nice box your mind is trapped within. Enjoy!
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:14   #78

Boat: Ontario Yachts, Viking 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
So your point wasn't that you can turn everyday house paint into a functional anti fouling paint?
No that was never the point... My goal is to try to improve VC17 to make it work better and I am limiting myself to simply increasing the amount of active ingredient already in the paint - that being copper powder... This link simply supports the assertion that copper powder IS the active ingredient and it gives guidelines as to the type of copper powders to be considered... Again - it must be wonderful to KNOW and have opinions on everything based on nothing... Apparently you make your living diving on boats and scrubbing bottoms... ok then perhaps you should stick to your job and I will stick to mine?
pdqsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:18   #79
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho View Post
Because I had other things to do than starting a business to make and sell it.
I wasn't asking why YOU hadn't marketed it commercially.

Quote:
Also conforming to all the EPA regulations to manufacture a product like that is a horrendous hassle.
Look, the point I'm making (and you're completely missing or ignoring) is that if simply adding some sort of hot pepper powder to an existing anti fouling paint made that paint more effective, the paint manufacturers would have started doing it years ago. Why can't you find pepper paint at West Marine or Defender? Why don't we see dramatically overpriced jars of chili powder on the chandlery shelves next to the paint and roller covers?

I'll tell you why- because there is not a single bit of scientific evidence that adding pepper to anti fouling paint does anything more than waste pepper. It doesn't work, plain and simple. If it did, the paint manufacturers (large and small) would be all over it. But they aren't. And there's a reason for that.
Old 27-02-2022, 10:28   #80

>>>I'll tell you why- because there is not a single bit of scientific evidence that adding pepper to anti fouling paint does anything more than waste pepper. <<<

You got peer reviewed scientific studies to back those assertions?

I've got 5 years of experience with it. It worked for me in San Diego, reducing the amount of work to keep the bottom clean.

I will take my personal experience over your blathering suppositions.
Idaho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2022, 10:31   #81
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
You got peer reviewed scientific studies to back those assertions?
I don't need to go to the moon to know it isn't made of cheese.

Quote:
I've got 5 years of experience with it. I will take my personal experience over your blathering suppositions.
Oh, well you're the expert. Bwahahahaha!
Old 21-11-2022, 07:30   #82

Boat: 30 feet sailboat, 1991

I add tetracycline to mine, 10G /litre. Tetracycline binds to divalent metal ions like copper, calcium etc. ( and before anyone gets uppity about this, I published a scientific paper on the binding of tetracycline in 1965) It is modestly beneficial but at least it's cheap.
peter loveridge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 10:49   #83

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter loveridge View Post
I add tetracycline to mine, 10G /litre. Tetracycline binds to divalent metal ions like copper, calcium etc. ( and before anyone gets uppity about this, I published a scientific paper on the binding of tetracycline in 1965) It is modestly beneficial but at least it's cheap.

Isn’t that an antibiotic?
Old 21-11-2022, 10:55   #84
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKA-None View Post
Isn’t that an antibiotic?
Yes it is. It has been found to be ineffective as an anti fouling paint biocide.

Tags
bottom paint, paint