Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-11-2022, 11:03   #31
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Re: Adding copper powder to antifouling

Quote:
Originally Posted by fstbttms View Post
Do modern anti fouling paints frequently have less copper biocide than products marketed years ago? Yes. Does that mean that modern anti fouling paints are less effective products? No.

Under pressure from governmental regulation, paint manufacturers have developed methods methods of processing copper so that less of it can still do an effective job of retarding fouling growth. How do I know this? I know this because I clean anti fouling paints in the water every day, and have done for over 28 years. So I have decades of real world experience and based on that, I can tell you that the best, most effective paints I have ever come across are some of the ones I encounter now, not 28 years ago.
28 years ago would be when you stopped looking at TBT based paints, which worked better than anything today?

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 11:10   #32
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by s/v Jedi View Post
28 years ago would be when you stopped looking at TBT based paints, which worked better than anything today?
I have no doubt that I ran across a few TBT-painted bottoms back in the day. But they were never identified to me as such. In any event, the number would have been so small that I couldn't give an opinion now as to how effective that type of paint was. I only have the anecdotal reports of the old-timers who used it then and report it here to go by.

Oh, and the few current users who are brave (or stupid) enough to talk about it now.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 11:12   #33

Boat: O’Day 40

Now if they would only come up with a recipe for Orcas......
LouK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 12:43   #34

Boat: Sabre 402

Quote:
Originally Posted by tamicatana View Post
Adding cayenne just cracks me up every time I hear about it. The active molecule, capsaicin, is pretty much only against mammals…

“ Capsaicin (8-methyl-N-vanillyl-6-nonenamide) (/kæpˈseɪsɪn/ or /kæpˈseɪəsɪn/) is an active component of chili peppers, which are plants belonging to the genus Capsicum. It is a chemical irritant for mammals…”
Maybe it will serve to deter Orcas then? Or maybe the boats losing their rudders USED it on their rudders and it annoyed the Orcas?? We'll have to check this out!
psk125 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 13:10   #35
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by psk125 View Post
Maybe it will serve to deter Orcas then? Or maybe the boats losing their rudders USED it on their rudders and it annoyed the Orcas?? We'll have to check this out!
Thread officially derailed
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 13:28   #36

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
Thread officially derailed
Gosh, what on CF? that's terrible, does it happen often?

I am under the impression that adding powered copper is pointless although International had a VC paint which came with a small bag you stirred in yourself. What I think you need is copper oxide which is different. Any chemists in the house?
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 14:12   #37

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
I have no doubt that I ran across a few TBT-painted bottoms back in the day. But they were never identified to me as such. In any event, the number would have been so small that I couldn't give an opinion now as to how effective that type of paint was. I only have the anecdotal reports of the old-timers who used it then and report it here to go by.

Oh, and the few current users who are brave (or stupid) enough to talk about it now.
Well when we used it, it would last 5 years without cleaning. If you went into harbors that count as the worst possible fouling, you would need to clean after 3 years, but once anchored out again you would be good to go for the 2 extra years. This was with 2.5 coats.

I now used Micron 66 and it wasn’t bad until we got into brackish water, which ruined it. Our gray water standpipe has a 1 yard diameter spot where all Micron 66 simply fell off because it’s all fresh water coming out.

Next experience will be ABC3.

Old 18-11-2022, 14:36   #38

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

Quote:
If you can't get that, Micron 77 was really rather impressive all be it at a price, nor does freshwater cause a problem. Tested that annually. Sadly, because it worked we are no longer allowed to use it in Europe
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-11-2022, 15:26   #39
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:

6 months in it is working well for me. At $99/gal it is working MUCH better than the $250+ Seahawk paint I last used.

Not going to battle the topic more than this.
Old 21-11-2022, 06:57   #40

Boat: Dickerson Ketch

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItDepends View Post
If you believe you are smarter AND know more about bottom paint that the chemists who formulated the paint... I guess you will go ahead no matter what anybody else says.

But consider...

I worked with product formulation chemists a lot in my career. I hope you are not insulted if I say THEY know more about their product than you do. If making it work better was that simple, they would do it.

If you truly believe that MORE copper is the right and simple answer, then you should just buy a paint with more copper...
JBsurfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 07:09   #41

Boat: Moody 422

The best think to do is to use the JOTUN SUPRIME antifouling, the best and cheapest. After 7 month in the MED just a brush and that's all.
Keld Hummer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-11-2022, 07:14   #42

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keld Hummer View Post
The best think to do is to use the JOTUN SUPRIME antifouling, the best and cheapest. After 7 month in the MED just a brush and that's all.
7 months?! Do you realize that we went 5 years with antifouling before they banned everything that worked and only needed to brush off now and then after the first 3 years?

Old 21-11-2022, 07:28   #43
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

I wish the moderators would delete the clearly illegal suggestions. This is not the place for that.
Old 21-11-2022, 07:33   #44
Writing Full-Time Since 2014

Boat: PDQ Altair, 32/34

Quote:

^^ listen to this guy.

Yes, I used TBT back in the day, and it was not any better, in my waters, than the better 2-year paints are today. My results have been the same for 40 years, when I used good paint and applied it the same way. Yes, I have been in the same home marina for that long.

There are location and year-to-year variations, just as weather and climate change are two different things. But on the average, I'm not seeing that paints have degraded.
Old 21-11-2022, 07:40   #45

The fisherman in Brazil use the cheapest rust-stoping paint mixed with lots of pesticides - Baygon. Can't tell about effectiveness, at least its cheap. Also, effectivness depends a lot in what region and waters You are.

Capt. Claus - ocean tramp of the eighties
clakiep is offline   Reply With Quote