Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-05-2022, 15:57   #46

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: Adding deadlights to a Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
What if the hull flexes and it pops out while offshore?
This led to the loss of a Bavaria 47 off NZ last year, and a bunch more safety legislation for Cat. 1 there.

Probably the solid 3/4" layup of the KP flexes less than the Bavaria.

Ann
Old 13-05-2022, 16:32   #47

Boat: Swanson 42 & Kelly Peterson 44

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
I’d do it if I were you. You’ve gutted the hull so can easily glass in stringers and reinforcement around the proposed port lights. And make sure they are fully framed, window recessed, throughbolted ports- none of the “huge glued on acrylic” like car windshields that you see on some newer boats.

I think aside from aesthetics- it’s really nice to be able to see outside and let in more light. Part of me wishes my boat had some

Speaking of SO, some friends of ours chartered a nearly new 440 last summer to buddyboat with us.

One of their hull windows was recently replaced by black painted plywood by the charter company due to a docking mishap on a prior charter. It was a temporary fix to keep it in charter during busy season. I think the size and nearly flush aspect is asking for trouble. What if the hull flexes and it pops out while offshore?

Yep, I’d definitely go bolted. Glues are great these days but I’d still trust mechanical fasteners more.

I went wandering around the docks yesterday and looked how each boat builder has solved the problem. You are right, the newer boats have gone for, apparently, glue only, whereas the older models have some kind of frame. For sure they are going for a “look”, and I suspect it is cheaper and easier to glue the windows in. Thankfully, my labour is free so I’d go as you suggest, bolts and frames.
Old 13-05-2022, 16:40   #48

Boat: Westerly Sealord

Not sure what you expect to see when you look out this porthole apart from the underside of Tasmanian wharves or - at high tide - people's ankles.
Old 13-05-2022, 16:41   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
This led to the loss of a Bavaria 47 off NZ last year, and a bunch more safety legislation for Cat. 1 there.

Probably the solid 3/4" layup of the KP flexes less than the Bavaria.

Ann

I’d have to cater for some flexing, she’s a solid old thing, but still noticeably thinner than the Swanson.

I figure a combo of a pair of stainless frames, lots of bolts plus some intelligently chosen flexible gasket material (TBA) would give me some safety. Also, they’d be pretty high above the water, like the Swanson’s opening portlights. One of the timber spacer portlight frames failed on the Swanson when I was crossing Bass Strait in about 20 - 25 knots on the beam. It led to 36 hours of periodic bilge pumping but at no stage was it a threat to the boat. Relatively mild conditions of course, but it made me realise how infrequently those portlights came down to the waterline.
Old 13-05-2022, 16:57   #50

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

Perhaps I've misunderstood the boat description.
There was a "Peterson 44", center cockpit, "Brewer bite" in front of the skeg.
There was a "Kelly-Peterson 44", totally different boat, fin keel, spade rudder.
I spent a year or so doing the commissioning work for a "Peterson 44" dealer, when the boats were off-loaded from the freighters, getting them ready for the owners.
They sail well enough, felt good underfoot.
Doug Peterson used to take sheets of aluminum down to the beach and drive over them with his jeep to form curves for some of his race boats, it worked.
Old 13-05-2022, 17:07   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowdrie View Post
Perhaps I've misunderstood the boat description.

There was a "Peterson 44", center cockpit, "Brewer bite" in front of the skeg.

There was a "Kelly-Peterson 44", totally different boat, fin keel, spade rudder.

I spent a year or so doing the commissioning work for a "Peterson 44" dealer, when the boats were off-loaded from the freighters, getting them ready for the owners.

They sail well enough, felt good underfoot.

Doug Peterson used to take sheets of aluminum down to the beach and drive over them with his jeep to form curves for some of his race boats, it worked.

Ummm…. The only Kelly Peterson 44 I know about is the sort I have.

https://sailboatdata.com/sailboat/kelly-peterson-44

I love the aluminium shaping description. [emoji16]
Old 13-05-2022, 17:17   #52

Sorry, I blew that, a thousand pardons.
https://sailboat.guide/doug-peterson

The boats I worked on were "Peterson 44s", cutter rigged.
I suppose that was before Mr. Kelly was involved.
Old 13-05-2022, 17:35   #53

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

It is a bit odd but when I was a kid we always referred to them as Peterson 44s and then somewhere along the way Kelly got his name included. I think Kelly was there from the start though.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 17:35   #54

Quote:
Sorry, I blew that, a thousand pardons.
https://sailboat.guide/doug-peterson

The boats I worked on were "Peterson 44s", cutter rigged.
I suppose that was before Mr. Kelly was involved.

I’m no expert, and you’ve obviously been closer to it all than me, but I believe the Peterson Cutter 44 was another name for the Kelly Peterson 44. Certainly they appear identical in sailboatdata, and my boat came with a PC44 logo on the main.
Old 13-05-2022, 17:48   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Pinguino View Post
Not sure what you expect to see when you look out this porthole apart from the underside of Tasmanian wharves or - at high tide - people's ankles.

Knees. In the Swanson it’s always knees.

And, given the age and history of the Swanson 42, the knees are usually accompanied by shorts and knee length socks.

When you see this phenomenon you know you are about to come face to face with a bloke in his 70s, usually a retired white collar guy, well dressed and well groomed who will immediately greet you with “A Swanson 42! I dreamed of owning one of these!”

But I don’t hang around wharves or pontoons if I can avoid it. Not in Tassie, too many beautiful anchorages.
Old 13-05-2022, 18:09   #56

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
It is a bit odd but when I was a kid we always referred to them as Peterson 44s and then somewhere along the way Kelly got his name included. I think Kelly was there from the start though.
I think you're on to something.
Back in the day, if you wanted a Swan 43 you bought what was called a Plamer-Johnson 43.
For awhile Palmer-Johnson had the exclusive North American distribution rights, and the boats were sold under their name.
Anyway, whilst it may seem a daunting task, I think the OP will end-up with a great boat that will fulfill his particular interior requirements.
Many times in the past I've been below in some boat and thought, "Now if I could start with one of these hull/decks I could build just what I want".
Old 13-05-2022, 18:13   #57

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
I think you're on to something.
Back in the day, if you wanted a Swan 43 you bought what was called a Plamer-Johnson 43.
For awhile Palmer-Johnson had the exclusive North American distribution rights, and the boats were sold under their name.
Anyway, whilst it may seem a daunting task, I think the OP will end-up with a great boat that will fulfill his particular interior requirements.
Many times in the past I've been below in some boat and thought, "Now if I could start with one of these hull/decks I could build just what I want".
I bet you were thinking of the Peterson 43 before.
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2022, 19:07   #58

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
If my memory serves correctly, PJ actually built those "PJ43" models in Sturgeon Bay WI under license from Swan. I owned a PJ built Standfast 36 and lusted after the 43 after being aboard one. She was a beaut, and I still remember the Titanium drum Barient coffee grinders that were on one I visited.

Jim
Old 13-05-2022, 19:40   #59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
If my memory serves correctly, PJ actually built those "PJ43" models in Sturgeon Bay WI under license from Swan. I owned a PJ built Standfast 36 and lusted after the 43 after being aboard one.
Jim
Oh jeepers, you would have to bring that up.
Just a couple of months ago I was having a discussion with a boatbuilder/sailor friend of 47 years, (we had worked together at a well known boat building company).
I was telling him that I was sure that I had been on a PJ43 that was built in aluminum, and that I thought that PJ had built ~6 of them.
I told him "I worked on one, I'm positive it was a PJ43".
He was telling me that back in the late '70s he had been asked to crew on a PJ43 that was headed for Tahiti.
He said it was a glass boat, so now that you bring that up the plot thickens.
I'm thinking that the first "Swan 43", (built in Finland,) was produced ~'67>'68?
The "original" S&S Swan 43 is without doubt the boat I've lusted after ever since I first saw a picture of one, it's a design I'll never get out of my mind.
Now I know I'll not sleep tonight thinking about this, thanks.
Believe me, I've been all over the internet, but can't find any "for sure" documentation for an aluminum "Swan" 43.
Would PJ have built a fiberglass "Swan 43" before "Swan" did?
Note to self: Call up PJ and talk to a real person who can provide real answers.
Holy cow, this is going to need it's own thread.
Old 13-05-2022, 19:52   #60

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don C L View Post
Yes, if the internet "facts" are to be believed, Kelly (a boat broker) went to Peterson to have the boat drawn up. I think it would be reasonable to assume Kelly was the driving force and Peterson was the boating brains.

Either way, I can attest to what I would call the "Kelly" aspect of the boat. Interior and accommodation are/were exceptionally good.

I'm just hoping the "Peterson" aspect of the boat lives up to the hype. I'm doing all this work without having sailed the boat more than 60 miles, and that was downwind, with a heavily fouled bottom, in moderately sheltered waters. Hardly a test of a boat's abilities.

Tags
peterson