Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2016, 11:42   #1

Adding Mildewcide to 2-part pour foam

Hi All,

I was considering the use of 2 part pour foam for filling big irregular shaped areas around my refrigerator freezer. Has anyone ever added a mildewcide to 2 part pour foam? Seems like it would be a good idea. Just wondering what if any effect it has on the polyurethane closed cell foam. I was going to use 2 lb foam.

Thanks. Any input appreciated even if you think it's an idea fraught with folly.
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:10   #2

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!
Re: Adding Mildewcide to 2-part pour foam

Make sure that the foam definitively won't absorb any moisture, as some foams do despite being closed cell types. Which can really cause problems. And be sure to seal it well.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:15   #3
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Island Packet 38

That stuff when expanding can apply some serious pressure too. I have seen it completely jam widows in a house
a64pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:16   #4

Boat: Liberty 458

Unless you get a good void free pour even closed cell foam will trap dirt, particles and moisture.

I prefer to build my insulation with foam panels bonded together. Foam pours are better suited for houses and pouring racecar seat molds.

I also tape with reflective tape to provide an air tight seal. This is the key to maximizing insulation effectiveness.

Expanding foams will also distort and buckle surrounding panels as they expand and set. It's tricky to fill a void and avoid over expansion in closed areas.

I can't see the benefit of using a fungicide. Mold tends to geow or nucleate on foreign matter like dirt, dust and grit. So I can't see a fungicide being effective on any porous media.
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:37   #5

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

I use MX-3 in all my paint and varnishes, but suspect in 2 part it is contained within the product, not on the surfaces exposed to mold.
I've used expanding foam in voids for many years. You need relieving holes that later get glassed. Some foams have to be encased in fiberglass because of health issues. I use styrofoam panels around my freezer and fridge.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2016, 12:52   #6

Thanks for the replies!!!
Lojanica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2017, 17:42   #7

Boat: islandpacket

Quote:
Originally Posted by leftbrainstuff View Post
Unless you get a good void free pour even closed cell foam will trap dirt, particles and moisture.

I prefer to build my insulation with foam panels bonded together. Foam pours are better suited for houses and pouring racecar seat molds.

I also tape with reflective tape to provide an air tight seal. This is the key to maximizing insulation effectiveness.

Expanding foams will also distort and buckle surrounding panels as they expand and set. It's tricky to fill a void and avoid over expansion in closed areas.

I can't see the benefit of using a fungicide. Mold tends to geow or nucleate on foreign matter like dirt, dust and grit. So I can't see a fungicide being effective on any porous media.
How do you bond your foam boards?
Thanks