Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-01-2022, 16:39   #1

Boat: Dinieper Tropic 1200, 42', steel
Adding rubbing Strakes / rub rails

I'm thinking of installing a rubbing strake / rub rail (whichever you want to call it) on my 42ft hard chine steel boat. There's some evidence of this boat taking hits from dinghys and pilings in the past.

The thing is, the PO paid a shitty yard to paint the boat only 18 months ago... and they painted right over the original awlgrip without prepping the surface at all. So... the paint is shot. Since I have to sand it all off, if I wanted to do any sort of hull modification, now is the time.

Has anyone installed a beefy rubbing strake on a boat that didn't come with one? Anyone do this with a steel boat? Synthetic rub rail vs. wood? I'm thinking channel cutter / working boat looking rubbing strake. (mock up attached)

Not afraid of welding at all but considering that my hull is galvanized, I might want to avoid it.

I found this thread here https://www.cruisersforum.com/forums...il-101136.html but that's about it.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	rubbing-strake.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	322.1 KB
ID:	250892  
TiPegleg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 20:08   #2

Re: Adding rubbing Strakes / rub rails

Very cool idea. I’ve wondered why sailboats don’t come standard with rub rails. Always jealous of the CG rub rails. As for the mechanics? I’m just a supporter it’s above my level. But go for it.
clippercol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2022, 23:01   #3

Pegleg,

I settled on this rubrail (DB-50) from Duramax.

https://www.duramaxmarine.com/impact...-fendering.htm

White, Gray, or Black (only black is in 60' lengths, other colors are in 20' lengths)

I ordered from Hamilton Marine, but they are slow because of COVID, holidays, blah, blah, blah.

Whenever it gets here, it'll be interesting how it will work on a fiberglass boat.

https://shop.hamiltonmarine.com/prod...-blk-5829.html

Comprised of the actual rubrail, polycarbonate inserts that act as washers, and corner/end plugs.

Drill holes where you want, but this need through bolts.

It might not work for you if through bolting is off the table.
scherzoja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2022, 10:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler

I'm going to recommend the rubber rub rail, such as Scherzoja suggests. I added a half pipe steel rail to my steel boat, and it is a perpetual problem because the welding has to be perfect - one pin hole and you get a little trickle of rust down the side. I seem to be forever chasing them down and plugging them with 3M 5200.

I did add a sacrificial 1x4 inch wooden rail, and it has been more successful. I've had to patch it a bit when the boat gets against the dock and rubs hard, but it is easy to keep painted (black), looks OK, and was not expensive - just pressure treated lumber.