Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-02-2022, 09:58   #16

Boat: Pearson 34-2
Re: Additions to the mast

We have a Pearson 34-2, which I have to think is similar. I put a cam cleat on the mast near the base so I could hoist the sail from the mast most of the way, then cleat it so I could run back to the cockpit, then winch it up the last foot. When tension is on the halyard it pops out of the cleat so full control goes back to the cockpit. So this cleat is lightly loaded. I drilled and tapped the 2 holes, then used Lanocote on the threads. I have not tried to remove the screws, but it is still holding fine 2 years later.
fred4936 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 18:32   #17

Boat: 35 Ft. cutter, custom

The 6in. Schaefer "2 hole" cleat in either black or clear anodizing makes a fine application for 3/8ths line.
Best practice are threaded/tapped holes in mast and using a "2 part" fastening/bedding scheme.
It is a messy technique but gives superior service.
Put a good sized "donut" of 4200/5200 around the tapped holes, without getting any in the holes.
Liberally coat the machine screws with the "silver stuff" anti-seize and insert the screws thru the holes in the cleat.
Now, making sure that the protruding thread lengths that go into the mast are completely still well coated with the anti-seize start threading them into the tapped holes.
Don't just push the cleat against the mast, hold it away from the mast with one hand, and use the other to turn the driver, allowing the fasteners to "draw down" the cleat to and against the 4200/5200 donut.
When the machine screws are bottomed-out the 4200/5200 should squeeze out around the edges, but right in the middle there will still be a "blob" of anti-seize surrounding the machine screw that is "encapsulated", as it were within the 4200/5200 external barrier.
Threads are protected against corrosion, while the external seams/edges are sealed against water intrusion.
Many years of satisfactory service can be expected, and any future removal will be trouble free.
Bowdrie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2022, 21:52   #18

Boat: Fantasia 35

Here is a cleat that will work. Drill and tap the mast for #10 flat head screws. Cut and dress the screws so that only 1 or 2 threads stick into the mast. Use loctite blue (242) to hold the screws in the mast.

https://www.westmarine.com/buy/schae...13?recordNum=6
Viking Sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 03:37   #19
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Cape George 31

We're still not able to see why you want both a jam cleat and a cleat. Is the jam cleat to hold tension while you free the winch and terminate on the horn cleat? You could accomplish this with a prussik on the halyard with a tail that goes to the winch for tension, then tie the halyard off below the prussik to the horn cleat, cast off the pussik, and you've got one less jam cleat in your mast.
Old 12-02-2022, 06:16   #20

Boat: Pearson 10M

Maybe a cam cleat on the mast instead of a jam cleat?
guyrj33 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast