Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-03-2011, 14:39   #1

Advice

We are new to the cruiser forum community & hope I am in the right place for this question.

We reside in California and are in the process of deciding on the purchase of a used sailing vessel approximately 43'-50' (I am 6'4"), blue-water capable for live-aboard purposes. I prefer center cockpit, and we have narrowed it down to a 1997-1999 Hunter 45' sloop, 1980 Endeavor 43' ketch and 1978 Herreshoff 50' ketch. i realize they are all different but if you had to choose for all-around ease of sailing, hull strength, dependability, and problem-free vessels, which would you choose? I am not, nor will I ever be racing, speed is not a factor (other than getting from point "a" to point "b"). What are inherient problems with each manufacturer? Anything serious?

Appreciate any feedback!

Thanks, Rick & Mary Ann
squidrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 14:51   #2
Eternal Member

Boat: Cabo Rico 38
Re: Advice

My personal choice of that list would be the Endeavor. I've been on their 37 footers and the were simple but strong and very forgiving. The Herreshoff might be my second choice but I'm not as familiar with them and then there is the age factor, although not much older than the Endeavor. Finally, with the Hunter, and I am sure I will be thoroughly flamed, I simply don't think their construction is as robust as the other two.

In a way, this is kind of like asking whom should I marry. In many respects it would depend upon the condition of the boat.

Have fun,

Rich

Edit: Lest I give a totally wrong impression re: Hunter. I have many friends that sail them and find them perfectly suited to their needs. They are day sailors, and coastal cruisers. It's when you put the words "blue water" in that make me hesitant.
cabo_sailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-03-2011, 19:49   #3

Re: Advice

I understand...blue water is a factor for us, we are not just coastal cruising. Our future plans include going north, Hawaii, and maybe to Florida via Panama canal.
squidrick is offline   Reply With Quote