Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Engineering & Systems > Construction, Maintenance & Refit
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-05-2014, 10:42   #16

Boat: 38/41 Fountains pajot
Re: Advice for Work / Service on Lagoon 410 in St. Martin

Are you worried about structural integrity of the boat if so the survey should have put those fears to rest. As for water in the bilge just very common on many boats. And very common for corrosion on anything metal even buttons and zippers on your clothing will get rusted being on a boat

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Dulcesuenos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2014, 11:35   #17

Boat: Lagoon 410 S2 2006
Re: Advice for Work / Service on Lagoon 410 in St. Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dulcesuenos View Post
Are you worried about structural integrity of the boat if so the survey should have put those fears to rest. As for water in the bilge just very common on many boats. And very common for corrosion on anything metal even buttons and zippers on your clothing will get rusted being on a boat

Sent from my LG-LS980 using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
Actually the opposite, I worry everything inside is eating itself and all that will work is the hulls (keeping it afloat). Survey seems to show something works or not with condition. But what if the entire electrical system is corroding and one by one wires are going to fail in terrible locations etc. Are all marine wires in sheathing that won't be affected by this moisture?

With no experience in Marine design and Lagoon design I guess you bring up that I should assume it is normal for water in the bilge a little ... but a bilge pump should be working and keep it mostly dry. Every Lagoon I have been on in the past 4 years was a completely bone dry bilge. I'd sooner find spider webs than water or moisture in them. Water to me is supposed to be on the other side of the hull especially with sail drives so no weeping shaft to leak constantly.

My goal is again to buy something where due to age or weather things need replacing or fixing or polishing. I'm ok with that. I'm trying to avoid rotting, rusting, corrosion in places I can't get at. I suppose if you take enough things out you can get at anything.

I should not use the word "Worry" here as really as mentioned the surveyor and the people with Moorings are giving us what we need to know. I'm not here to find fault in them or catch them hiding anything. Just trying to gauge the long term picture of what I should put on my list to replace, in order, if I buy this boat.
onefastdaddy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
lagoon, service, St Martin