Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-05-2020, 16:59   #16

Re: Advice on design choices

Quote:
Originally Posted by coopec43 View Post
Two points:

Which is more important- to sail a yacht or build one? If the ultimate aim is to sail it would be far cheaper to buy a good second-hand yacht than to build one.

Which is the best yacht for you? That's a bit like asking which is the best car: it depends..........
Truer words were never spoken. I have done it. You can buy one as cheap as building one.... or cheaper. Building one you just pay over time as you go. (maybe!) Building a boat involves a lot of lost time and sometimes a lost marriage.

Cheechako is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 05:03   #17

Here's a lovely Van de Stadt already built by a professional boatbuilder. Save yourself a lot of trouble, Wildfire, and go SAILING.

https://providence.craigslist.org/bo...124447693.html

Cheers,
LittleWing77
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 10:20   #18

Jim, Thanks for the input! You guessed right that I am on the east coast of the US and while I have sailed extensively in manmade lakes where the water goes from 130' to 3' and back to 130' in a boat length, most of my Bluewater experience has been racing in the Gulf of Mexico and leaving from major ports like Houston Tx. My obsession (that's honestly the most accurate word for it LOL ) with a shallow draft comes from a desire to sail in the Bahamas and South Pacific. The design for the VDS 34 has 3 different keels, drafts are listed for design waterline; a "deep" fin and 6' draft; a shoal fin (shallow but long) and 4'3" draft; and a shallower shoal fin with a centerboard with 3' 8"-5' 5" draft. I expect to probably end up deeper after loading stores for cruising and don't want to miss places because I couldn't get in.
Air draft for the 34 is 46' 3" above the designed waterline. I would very much like to hear your opinion on these options for cruising.

I've heard from others that motoring suffers with twin rudders but I figured there must be some advantage to it but I'm not sure.

As for the Induction cooking, after doing some research I think I'm just going to stick with propane. I used to be a mechanic and occasionally worked on hybrids, and I really have no desire to constantly have that stress level regarding voltage and batteries again.

I couldn't agree more about their hard dodger. They seem very robust and good at sheltering the watch. AND they make the boat look even sexier (sorry that's the most accurate way to describe my thoughts)
SV_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-05-2020, 11:03   #19

Cheechako, LittleWing I appreciate the concern. I have a Ranger 22 that is a blast for day-sailing now. This project, be it a complete build or a massive refit will take years and is the end game for my retirement. My wife God bless her is a saint and doesn't understand my love of the sea but still fully supports me in either decision because she knows it has been my dream since I was a kid. I am finishing up renovating the house I bought and won't have it paid off for 12 years so this is definitely a long term project.
SV_Wildfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-05-2020, 03:38   #20

Boat: BUILT!!! Roberts Mauritius 43ft

I can well understand how you want to build your own yacht as they were my thoughts too. (Happily mine is now nearing completion)

If I was starting again I'd pick a simple design and very functional. Ply veneer covered bulkheads, ply cupboard doors (but with ventilation). Get a cheap router to make up trim on those cold wet days.

A lot of production yachts these days come with two burner stoves and oven. (I believe 3/4 burner stoves a ridiculous on a yacht)

I'm going to take the guys' advice on this forum to install a second toilet (compost) in the aft cabin. Although compost toilets cost more than a marine toilet you save on sea cocks, holding tank, pumps etc.

If you are going to use lead ballast start collecting it now. (I have been going around to tyre fitters and buying their used wheel weights and melting them down in a cast saucepan on a BBQ)

I'd check the furniture stores to see if they have small items of furniture that could be used.

https://www.pinterest.com.au/pin/433401164111187831/

coopec43 is online now   Reply With Quote