Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 18-07-2018, 21:22   #31

Boat: morgan 462
Thumbs up Re: Advice on fiberglass repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Suijin View Post
You’re getting a lot of bad advice here. Anyone questioning the vendor’s description of work and estimated hours from that picture should be ignored.

That’s a fair price for that work, and actually strikes me as low. The glass work requires care and expertise to be done correctly, and the fairing and gelcoat and polishing work is time consuming.

You *could* do it yourself but it will require hours of research, possibly a redo or two along the way, and very possibly a less than professional result. There is some craftsmanship involved important to both the structural and cosmetic outcome that you can’t master doing it for the first time.
Agree. Fiberglass work ain't for sissies!
agb512 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 04:36   #32
cruiser

Boat: Ontario 38 / Douglas 32 Mk II
Re: Advice on fiberglass repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
I had an unfortunate encounter with a concrete abutment going through a narrow lock. It is a gouge about 18" long that goes through the gel coat pretty deep into the fiberglass, but not all the way through. I received an estimate for repair from a guy recommended by my yard: 14 hours at $80.00/hour + 208.00 in supplies + tax for a total of $1,420. Does this seem like a fair price or should I try to get additional estimates? I do want it to be done right and am willing to pay for it.

Alternatively, I'm wondering if I could do it myself. I'm pretty handy and have all the necessary grinding and sanding equipment, but I've never worked with fiberglass/gelcoat before. Should I start watching youtube videos and go for it, or would I be way over my head?

Based on your and the service providers descriptions, it sounds like a glass and gelcoat repair. This will involve at least 3 visits. 1. Grind and glass, 2 smooth glass and apply fill, 3. Fair and apply gelcoat. 4. Sand, compound, Polish, wax.

14 hours is a reasonable estimate. Does the guy invoice actual time and materials? Ie, if it takes 10 hours, that is what you pay?

To DIY depends on the value of the boat and your skills. If the damage will devalue the boat more than the estimate amount, I recommend pro repair.

Remember this is not this guys hobby. He has to pay a mortgage, feed his kids, and save for retirement so he can go sailing his yacht some day.

If you do plan DIY, and have never done it before, realize that their is more to craft than just watching I on YouTube. Practice a similar repair on a piece of scrap. Wh n complete, if you would be proud to own it, then maybe go for it.
ramblinrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-07-2018, 04:49   #33

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401
Re: Advice on fiberglass repair

Quote:
Originally Posted by drewm3i View Post
Get some spectrum gelcoat paste for $40 after smoothing the edges and fix it yourself! Then sand, buff, and polish and it will be good as new!

Bad idea....the core has been exposed. To just slap some gel coat into the hole is asking for future delam problems.
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass